Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: topher builds a(nother) TRX4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #41

Default Re: topher builds a(nother) TRX4

Got the battery mount figured out. Took out one of my favorite tools (good ol’ dremel) and cut a slot on the slider that’s just big enough for some Velcro to loop through and then removed a part of a mount for a micro servo to make a little more room for the battery to lay down and now it’s good to go.

Last change I’ll make for now will be swapping the rear bumper mount once I can get my hands on a spare front mount, but at least it’s ready for action now.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Default topher builds a(nother) TRX4

The dremel tool really is amazing. I got one today and have been using it all day lmao. Now I know what Iíve been missing, I Donít think I can go back to not having one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #43

Got out yesterday for a little over an hour to test things and see how the truck is behaving. Overall Iím pretty happy with it.

Itís a tad slower than I anticipated with where itís geared, but not a bad thing. Even though Iím running 4S itís still barely quicker than a brisk walk which is close to where I like it. I might go from a 10t pinion up to 11 or 12t to make room for a little more wheel speed when needed.

I brought two packs but only used the 1600mah 4S. It lasted the entire hour and died the second we got off the trail. I was pumped about this.

The main reason I wanted to run 4S was to get the most out of the Holmes hobbies servo and boy this thing seems like it could break a finger if it got stuck between the servo horn and the chassis. The servo is louder on 4s which caught me a little off guard. You can hear it chattering in this side hill test clip below. It performed excellent though, just a talker.

Also finally got the truck weighed, itís a couple ounces below 9 lbs when the battery is in and the body on with all the accessories. The chassis felt really good. I could feel the weight of the body when trying some harder climbs and look forward to driving it down the road when I swap a lighter body onto it.

Tires did good, Iíll keep em on for a bit but may do a class 1 tire with the next body whenever that happens.

Here are some pics and the sidehill clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
The dremel tool really is amazing. I got one today and have been using it all day lmao. Now I know what Iíve been missing, I Donít think I can go back to not having one.

Shock pliers are a dremel I couldnít live without again. Must have tools for sure.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Holy cow Topher!!!

That clip was great!!

Awesome handling characteristics! Very sure footed even with the cargo rack.

I do understand that recordings are always noisier than in real life. Interesting that the servo got squawkier with increased voltage. Has HH ever given a reason for the noise? Just curious.

Impressive job as usual!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Looks great out in the wild TB!

How are tires ďclassedĒ? You said a class 1 tire and it got me thinking and I had to ask lol.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:

How are tires ďclassedĒ? You said a class 1 tire and it got me thinking and I had to ask lol.

Tires are classed by size. Correct me if Iím wrong by class 1 should be 4.19Ē and no taller.

Man Topher Iím jealous of the terrain out there. One of these days Iíll be back down that way with my rig and have to make the trip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:41 PM   #47
Sketchiness abounds...

Quote:

Fricker08 is right on with the 4.19" number...

See the SORRCA (Scale Off Road RC Association) rulebook:

SORRCA.com

There's lots of stuff - but as far as tires:

Class 1:

ē 106mm / 4.19" Max tire size including spares.
ē No external tire modification is allowed.
ē The tread cannot extend past the wheel wells more than 1/2 of the tread
width (flares can be used to reach min. spec).

Class 2:

ē 120mm / 4.75" max tire size with a 2.2 max rim size including spare.
ē Tire lugs may be removed, siped, grooved and/or trimmed.

Class 3:

ē 146mm / 5.75" max tire size with a 2.2 max rim size (including spare).
ē Tire modifications are permitted, as long as the tire is no larger than
5.75" in diameter measured off the vehicle laying on its side, and all tire
parts are from a legal scale tire.

If you look at many (but not all, by any means) crawler tires you'll see their measurements just barely fit in the maximum allowed spec for one class or another.- allowing them to provide the most ground clearance and tread footprint within that class.

There are a lot of tires designed for wheels 1.9" and smaller that are right at 4.19" or slightly smaller, perfect for Class 1.

Likewise, there are plenty of tires designed for 1.9" wheels that are right at 4.75" or slightly smaller, perfect for Class 2.

Lastly, there are several top-tier crawler tires meant for 2.2" wheels that are at 5.75" or slightly smaller.

A perfect example of a manufacturer aiming tires at maximum height and traction allowed by class rules - the entire Pro-line Hyrax line is available in sizes for each class, and in a compound that performs well in colder temps as well as one for warmer temps.

Also, they went for maximum traction with their tread design, and disregarded scale accuracy - not using a licensed tread design as licensed tread designs typically don't provide quite as good traction as one designed specifically for the average weight of a 1/10th R/C. crawler.

If you want a licensed tread, they also have some BFGoodrich scale tires as well as the TSL SX Super Swamper.

Trying to make your rig 100% SORRCA-compliant is a niche all of its own within the R/C crawler community!

However, many local clubs use their rulebook only as a rough guideline...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #48

I got the rig out again yesterday and put it through its paces. Unfortunately the plastic front bumper broke on a tumble, but Iíve been meaning to replace the bumpers or remove them anyhow as they get in the way often.

Apparently I only took one pic of the rig but I got a good bit of video that Iím working on putting together today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benp View Post
Holy cow Topher!!!

That clip was great!!

Awesome handling characteristics! Very sure footed even with the cargo rack.

I do understand that recordings are always noisier than in real life. Interesting that the servo got squawkier with increased voltage. Has HH ever given a reason for the noise? Just curious.

Impressive job as usual!
Thank you! The truck feels stable and predictable, itís a good time to wheel.

John has made a couple posts about the noise on Facebook, and I believe in a recent batch made some changes to I think the deadband (? Servo tech over my head) to make it quieter.

Quote:

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
Tires are classed by size. Correct me if Iím wrong by class 1 should be 4.19Ē and no taller.

Man Topher Iím jealous of the terrain out there. One of these days Iíll be back down that way with my rig and have to make the trip
Durok may know better as Iíve only compíd a handful of times, but I think the small super swampers may be class 1 legal as well even though theyíre a hair taller than 4.19? Something I heard anyway, may be a local judgment call type of thing. If I do go to a smaller tire the swampers may be it. Or the km3s always treat me well.

And Thanks Fricker! If you do make it to Vegas definitely bring a couple rigs and a lot of battery. Lines for days out here itíd be cool to do some wheeling with rcc folk.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #49
into the ether...

Jesus Topher, that sidehill clip is truly impressive! Truck seems glued to the rock. Now I really look forward to running my recently clipped Canyon Trails. Sadly, given the nature of winter here, its unlikely to happen till spring Did you say what foams you are running? i must have missed it.

Love the play on that vintage RC Cola logo. Also how you removed the black plastic strip off of the tailgate, subtle but a nice touch none the less
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #50
Go Buckeyes!

Man, that sidehill action was impressive! I did not expect to see that with the cage and accessories on the bed!

She sure does look like a very balanced rig! And great to see the Canyon Trails out making them cool lines!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Topher, I'm so jealous of your play area, that looks like so much fun! And so different from wheeling here in the NE.

We're planning to get out Saturday, and the sun just melts the first 1/2 inch or so, it's all frozen underneath...so it's going to be a skin of gooey mud on top of frozen ice... makes for very challenging wheeling.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:46 PM   #52
Fainting Goat

Just saw the youtube video. It's unreal the lines this rig can pull. You really knocked it out of the park!
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Jesus Topher, that sidehill clip is truly impressive! Truck seems glued to the rock. Now I really look forward to running my recently clipped Canyon Trails. Sadly, given the nature of winter here, its unlikely to happen till spring Did you say what foams you are running? i must have missed it.

Love the play on that vintage RC Cola logo. Also how you removed the black plastic strip off of the tailgate, subtle but a nice touch none the less
Thanks Smog! Hope you get some decent weather to try your tires out sometime soon. Iím running proline dual stage foams in these. I appreciate the comments the black strip on the tailgate doesnít do it for me so I had to clip it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Man, that sidehill action was impressive! I did not expect to see that with the cage and accessories on the bed!

She sure does look like a very balanced rig! And great to see the Canyon Trails out making them cool lines!
Thanks BMow! I forgot how fun it was to wheel a trx4. Really a solid platform. Iím glad itís a traxxas becuase that means it will stick around for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Topher, I'm so jealous of your play area, that looks like so much fun! And so different from wheeling here in the NE.

We're planning to get out Saturday, and the sun just melts the first 1/2 inch or so, it's all frozen underneath...so it's going to be a skin of gooey mud on top of frozen ice... makes for very challenging wheeling.
The rocks out here are something special for sure, the land and the weather makes it hard to ever want to leave this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiemonster View Post
Just saw the youtube video. It's unreal the lines this rig can pull. You really knocked it out of the park!
Thanks addie! Much appreciated

On that note, hereís the video just loaded up on the tube. Itís clips from the weekend, youíll notice the weather changes a bit on the second day. Had a great time.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #54

Nice work. I agree with everyone out there is who jealous of the terrain. Been in RC for many years but newer to crawling. Got the bug! In six months I have bought a TRX4, an SCX10 ii kit (and deadbolt rtr) and an enduro kit. So many directions to go. Thanks to all of you who post your builds and info on this forum (Many who have responded here!). I hope to start posting soon as well. Keep up the great work!
Juanito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:22 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
Nice work. I agree with everyone out there is who jealous of the terrain. Been in RC for many years but newer to crawling. Got the bug! In six months I have bought a TRX4, an SCX10 ii kit (and deadbolt rtr) and an enduro kit. So many directions to go. Thanks to all of you who post your builds and info on this forum (Many who have responded here!). I hope to start posting soon as well. Keep up the great work!

Yeah man, you should definitely do some build threads! Iíd be looking forward to the SCX10ii and Enduro thread.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito View Post
Thanks Juanito! Glad you found your way over here and have learned from the info around here. Itís a treasure trove for sure
Old 12-31-2020, 09:14 PM   #57

First off...awesome build!

I am getting things in order to build my first TRX4 sport crawler and this build has been a huge insight and influence on what I want to do with mine. I have built lots of RC's but no crawlers yet.

I think I plan to get the same/similar esc and motor combo you are running, but was curious as to what KV motor you have in that?

My rig will probably end up on the heavy side, maybe not quit as heavy as yours but I want to make sure the motor I get will suit me well. I dont plan on going fast down the trails with this thing, I just want to climb/crawl with it.
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote

topher builds a(nother) TRX4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 08:59 PM
Topher Builds a SCX10.3 Topher Builds Axial SCX10 III 81 06-11-2020 03:23 PM
topher builds a Capra Topher Builds Axial Capra 100 03-16-2020 09:03 AM