Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Modding my TRX-6 *Progression*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #61

Default Re: Modding my TRX-6 *Progression*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
I just removed my Mamba X and HH Puller Pro 2200kv for the new Hobbywing Axe R2 with the 3300kv. It is outstanding. Nice and quiet. 2nd gear full throttle is insane and 1st gear is smoother and stronger then before.
Oh wow, very interesting! May I ask why you switched? And also, was your Puller Pro V1 or V2? Not sure if I would know the difference anyways.. and also, what will you be doing with your Mamba X and Puller Pro?
Got0wned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got0wned View Post
Oh wow, very interesting! May I ask why you switched? And also, was your Puller Pro V1 or V2? Not sure if I would know the difference anyways.. and also, what will you be doing with your Mamba X and Puller Pro?

The Puller Pro is the V2. I keep seeing great reviews one the Axe system so I decide to give it a shot. All I ever use in my other RC’s is Castle systems so it was a tough choice. Plus when The Mamba X paired with the Puller Pro it’s loud. Something about the way they talk to each other.
So far the Axe is great. Super smooth and quiet. There is a couple of negative points, but the positives out way them. It might also be that I’m still hooked on Castle.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
The Puller Pro is the V2. I keep seeing great reviews one the Axe system so I decide to give it a shot. All I ever use in my other RC’s is Castle systems so it was a tough choice. Plus when The Mamba X paired with the Puller Pro it’s loud. Something about the way they talk to each other.
So far the Axe is great. Super smooth and quiet. There is a couple of negative points, but the positives out way them. It might also be that I’m still hooked on Castle.
Very interesting. Would you mind sharing what the negative points were on the Axe? I know nothing about them, and very little on everything else. lol
Old 01-19-2021, 04:06 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Very interesting. Would you mind sharing what the negative points were on the Axe? I know nothing about them, and very little on everything else. lol

For starters it’s a closed system so You can only use the Axe motor and the ESC together. My biggest concern was there’s no throttle curve settings. There is a few settings you can change in the app to lessen the throttle response and you can always add expo in your controller, but it’s just not the same. It forces you to learn throttle control. Which isn’t a bad thing.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

If you mainly do slow crawling I would strongly urge you to consider the hobbywing fusion 1800kv.

It’s an all in one system so the ESC is built into the can. It’s a 540 motor but it’s the size of a 550 (ESC on the back)
It’s an incredibly clean looking system. Very few wires. Totally sealed. It’s whisper quiet (apparently even quieter than the Axe.

It has a few less features compared to the axe. Like it can’t Bluetooth to your phone. So you have to use the included programming card. But the control is amazing and the price is nearly impossible to beat.
I have run mine several times on incredibly slow crawls and the motor is barely warm to the touch.
Even after 2 hours.

Speed wise it’s maybe a hair slower than stock.

My brother got a mamba x and it burnt up on him within 4 runs of some moderate pulls. Geared modestly. Like... basically on a stock SCX10ii. Stock gears. Didn’t ask it to do anything that the old 35 turn brushed motor didn’t do a million times.
It just stopped working. He’s been back and forth troubleshooting with castle for weeks. And it’s a motor and ESC under warranty. So I can’t say there is an castle magic that I have yet to see and when he saw the control I had in my all in one motor he said he was going to try and get a hobbywing if he can get the castle refunded.
So... take that little anecdote for what it’s worth but I would at least YouTube a little on the Fusion 1800. For your use I think your really like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AC49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:34 PM   #66
RCC Addict

I don't own a trx6, or a Hobbywing Fusion, but I drove a trx6 with said motor/esc combo this weekend. I was so impressed that I now must buy one for myself. (the motor/esc that is)

Super quiet, super smooth and plenty top speed (for me anyway) at 1800kv geared 45/9. even in high gear it crawled amazingly.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 02:38 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC49 View Post
If you mainly do slow crawling I would strongly urge you to consider the hobbywing fusion 1800kv.

It’s an all in one system so the ESC is built into the can. It’s a 540 motor but it’s the size of a 550 (ESC on the back)
It’s an incredibly clean looking system. Very few wires. Totally sealed. It’s whisper quiet (apparently even quieter than the Axe.

It has a few less features compared to the axe. Like it can’t Bluetooth to your phone. So you have to use the included programming card. But the control is amazing and the price is nearly impossible to beat.
I have run mine several times on incredibly slow crawls and the motor is barely warm to the touch.
Even after 2 hours.

Speed wise it’s maybe a hair slower than stock.

-snip-
So... take that little anecdote for what it’s worth but I would at least YouTube a little on the Fusion 1800. For your use I think your really like it.

Any weight limit for the Fusion? I think my trx6 weigh about 15 lbs now without battery, will it be too heavy for its build in 540 motor? I have axe 550r2 that I haven’t installed yet thinking reserving for a 2nd trx6 that I’m planning to buy. Fusion will be ideal for my current rig due to tight space with the scale GRC full interior. Sorry Got0wned for hijacking.

Last edited by JCM5; 01-20-2021 at 02:43 AM.
JCM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:23 AM   #68

Thank you for everyone's input. All the info is much appreciated. Now I'm even more torn as to which ESC/motor to go with.. JCM5: No need to be sorry, the more this thread gets hijacked, the better LOL More knowledge and info for me to learn.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:56 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Just get the HW Fusion IMO. It's not your forever esc/motor, if you don't like it can swap it to another kit build later on and try something else in the TRX. Once I realized I was going to keep changing crap and pretty much all of the hobby grade stuff is good quality these days it took the pressure off of these decisions. Now if someone was holding a gun to my head on a deserted island and I had to pick one setup for life it would be a different story lol.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:06 AM   #70
Rock Crawler

I really like my mamba x / PP 2700 combo. The noise I’m used to. You should of heard it when running a revolver and steel spur gear.

I’m geared down to 9/45 and low speed control is excellent.

I’ve ran the Trailmaster 3300, revolver 2500, and now the puller pro.

I have a HH crawl master pro 550 10t on deck to go in at some point. I’m debating on using the mamba x for it instead of the HW 1080 just because of the throttle curves. Even though using the HW would lighten things up a bit.

I’ve been spoiled. Lol. It’s all about the curves.

Regarding lower kv Having more torque, I don’t know except my experiences.

My GSpeed came with a 2000 kV Yellowjacket out runner. It doesn’t seem stronger at all than my other brushless motors. And my Trx4 is heavier by a couple pounds.

The Yellowjacket is a larger diameter motor than the others also, so I thought that would attribute to something power wise. Nope.

Also, HH recommends 2700-3500kv motors for brushless.

His advice has steered me well so far.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #71
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM5 View Post
Any weight limit for the Fusion? I think my trx6 weigh about 15 lbs now without battery, will it be too heavy for its build in 540 motor? I have axe 550r2 that I haven’t installed yet thinking reserving for a 2nd trx6 that I’m planning to buy. Fusion will be ideal for my current rig due to tight space with the scale GRC full interior. Sorry Got0wned for hijacking.
I honestly can't find one on the HW website for that motor but 15 pounds is super heavy. If you are looking to do lots of slow crawling on big inclines then you probably would have better luck with the 550 Axe. That being said, kind of like what Phil suggested, you could always try it and see. I would just keep an eye on temps if you are doing some slow crawling until you know what it can and can't handle. You also could gear it down a little to help. If you are just using it as a trail rig, the fusion would probably do alright. If you want a basher then the fusion will not make you too happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Just get the HW Fusion IMO. It's not your forever esc/motor, if you don't like it can swap it to another kit build later on and try something else in the TRX. Once I realized I was going to keep changing crap and pretty much all of the hobby grade stuff is good quality these days it took the pressure off of these decisions. Now if someone was holding a gun to my head on a deserted island and I had to pick one setup for life it would be a different story lol.
Phill this is great advice! I had a good chuckle on that. So let's just say you were on a deserted island (...well almost deserted, there is one gun wielding RC loving maniac apparently) which system are you choosing then?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #72

Pfongemie, AC49, twade984, JCM5, Phildirt, Benp: I really appreciate your input, experiences, and suggestions for ESC/motor combo. I asked a few others as well on another forum and put everything into consideration. I know some of you are urging me to try the HW Fusion first. Sounds good, but I'm looking for great. I don't plan on buying a second r/c platform, so I don't want to have to gradually upgrade to swap out different setups. I'm also looking for an ESC that offers connectivity to a computer and/or phone for better configurability. Trying to avoid using a wired program card.

I like the Castle Link features for custom configurations and the aux wire for the Mamba X. The B-link (If it works) seem ideal for bluetooth connection to my phone when I'm out and about. Holmes Hobbies motor has a whole lot of praises. I think the Puller Pro V2 is still my top contender as to the motor to get.

Pfongemie had mentioned how loud the Mamba X/Puller Pro V2 setup was. I don't mind the noise all that much. I could sacrifice having to deal with the annoying buzz as long as it offer me the best performance/smoothness/configurability.

It all seems pricey, but I'm okay with it. Castle offers a 15% military discount, which is awesome that will help offset a bit of the cost. Towerhobbies has a few discount codes and free shipping as well. That'll help.

Again, thank you all for your input. Please, keep on posting here if possible! I enjoy and welcome the interactions.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #73
RCC Addict

You will buy another RC truck. Trust me. Someone that mods theirs as much as you does not appear to be a casual hobbyist lol. Plus I think you will find the 6x6 has it's drawbacks on certain terrain conditions and will want something else to play with.

Plus it's cool having 2 so when one is down you can wheel the other. I completely disassembled my Enduro on Friday night, got side tracked, and said "meh, I'll just take the 10ii" on the trip we made Saturday...no sweat/stress/hurried assembly.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
You will buy another RC truck. Trust me. Someone that mods theirs as much as you does not appear to be a casual hobbyist lol. Plus I think you will find the 6x6 has it's drawbacks on certain terrain conditions and will want something else to play with.

Plus it's cool having 2 so when one is down you can wheel the other. I completely disassembled my Enduro on Friday night, got side tracked, and said "meh, I'll just take the 10ii" on the trip we made Saturday...no sweat/stress/hurried assembly.
Haha, as much as I want to say you're wrong, I can't. I'm in denial knowing you are right. I'm telling myself no for as long as I can so I can focus on my TRX-6. Time will tell to see how long that will last before I give in on a second rig... I've also been looking at r/c planes recently, too. I already have wayyyy too many expensive hobbies.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Haha, as much as I want to say you're wrong, I can't. I'm in denial knowing you are right. I'm telling myself no for as long as I can so I can focus on my TRX-6. Time will tell to see how long that will last before I give in on a second rig... I've also been looking at r/c planes recently, too. I already have wayyyy too many expensive hobbies.

*knock knock* oh hi there. I’m the devil on your shoulder. Nice to meet you.
I would just like to remind you that crawling and RC’s in general is a unique hobby in that it has a lot of value.

1. The RC’s hold their value pretty well compared to many other investments relating to hobbies.

2. Often parts can be interchangeable and so the purchase of more RC parts has compounding value.

3. You can spend a few hundred dollars on worse things in the name of entertainment.

4. How much would you spend going to the gym? Taking a crawler for a hike gets you out walking where you might not otherwise.

5. RC’s promote creative thinking and problem solving skills.

6. It’s not drugs.

7. Real crawling with a real 4x4 is fun but exponentially more expensive. And may even be illegal depending on where you drive your truck. RC’s give you all the fun and challenge with 1/100th the cost. And if you roll your RC in the bush, it won’t cost you $1,000 to have a tow truck come get you. Basically every time you roll your crawler you could go buy 2 more and you’d be still saving money compared to full scale.

8.... uhhh. I’m running out of ideas now but if you haven’t already conceded to buying a second one... you will. Lol
It took me a couple months of thinking one would be enough.

Oh nevermind I. Got it
8. It’s social.

9. It’s also anti-social and I can’t think of something more Covid friendly than walking through a forest with an RC.

10 ... how are you still reading this... go buy another crawler. *cough* Capra *cough*

Old 01-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #76
RCC Addict

People think I’m walking small dogs when I’m out with mine. It’s a conversation starter for sure.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:16 PM   #77

AC49, that is FUNNY! Hahaha those are very convincing points.

Phildirt, I bet your “small dogs” are much cheaper to maintain than an actual dog. Lol
Old 01-20-2021, 07:50 PM   #78
RCC Addict

No worries. I have limited experience with the fusion, but thought it worth mentioning. I also have no first hand experience with the Mamba x/Puller pro setup, but I've never seen say they don't like it.

I do really like the tuning ability of Castle Link. I setup an SW4 to run my Revolver, and it's awesome. I liked it so much I got another SW4 just to run a Crawlmaster sport.

After driving my buddy's TRX6, I want one even more. I will keep checking back in this thread when it's updated.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 12:22 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Yep, I guarantee you'll get another one. I swore up and down my TRX4 would be my only rig. I never had more than one at a time before it. But, now I just got an SCX10 ii kit and currently working on getting another. Saying you won't get another RC is impossible lol.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:48 AM   #80

twade984: Can't wait until the MambaX and the HH motor get here. They're on backorder until next month... You SHOULD get the TRX-6! It's my first and only crawler so I have nothing to compare it to, but I've been quite impressed with its ability.

Scalelifenewbie: Haha I'm looking more and more into the Mini-Z 4x4 just for around-the-house crawling. That mayyyy be my next purchase if I decide to get another r/c.

Just a small update:

I installed the aluminum rear c-hubs with adjustable lower shock mounting points. The rear shocks now sit at a more desired angle with more efficient shock travel.

Tags
6x6, g63, trx-4, trx-6, trx6

Modding my TRX-6 *Progression* - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my new wraith (progression) crawler nut Axial Wraith 285 06-24-2019 10:25 PM
My AX 10 progression MaD222 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 04-24-2012 07:06 PM
progression of a dream, a toyota. 907toytaco Axial SCX-10 19 03-24-2011 02:46 PM
Gate Progression Question Cruzin Illusion WRCCA Rules 9 03-05-2010 05:05 PM