RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Traxxas TRX-4 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/)
-   -   Did your high clearance skid make a difference??? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/622809-did-your-high-clearance-skid-make-difference.html)

AnimalHippie 01-04-2021 06:31 PM

Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
I've been looking at the high clearance transmission skid plates for the Trx-4 for awhile now. I can't seem to pull the trigger on buying one.

You guys that have them. Did it make a noticeable difference? Was it worth the cash and time to install? From looking at the pics on the companies websites. I don't see a big difference. Can you guys shine some light on this subject? Thanks in advance!!! :badger:

kincer 01-04-2021 07:17 PM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
I just ordered the Bowhouse skid for a new slider I bought, I agree looking at the pics doesn't really look like that much of a difference, I should have it by the end of the week I'll post a pic if I notice much of a difference.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

HumboldtEF 01-04-2021 07:28 PM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
I used one on my Ascender and the difference wasn't super noticeable. It only improve the ground clearnace IMHO. I recall asking if it raised the motor and someone said no, but sure enough it now sits 1/4" higher.

Downsides I see on paper: raised COG (typically)
Link geometry is changed (made slightly worse?) by raising the lower links at the skid. If you're to raise link mount points for the lower links you should also raise the uppers too.

I'm not saying these are egregious changes to be avoided just that these raised skids dont account for the whole package.

AnimalHippie 01-05-2021 06:04 PM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kincer (Post 6061218)
I just ordered the Bowhouse skid for a new slider I bought, I agree looking at the pics doesn't really look like that much of a difference, I should have it by the end of the week I'll post a pic if I notice much of a difference.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

You'll have to let me know what you think about it and post some pics. "thumbsup"

PS: go drag Mark out of the house and go crawl something once the ice and snow is gone

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumboldtEF (Post 6061222)
I used one on my Ascender and the difference wasn't super noticeable. It only improve the ground clearnace IMHO. I recall asking if it raised the motor and someone said no, but sure enough it now sits 1/4" higher.

Downsides I see on paper: raised COG (typically)
Link geometry is changed (made slightly worse?) by raising the lower links at the skid. If you're to raise link mount points for the lower links you should also raise the uppers too.

I'm not saying these are egregious changes to be avoided just that these raised skids dont account for the whole package.

That's what I was afraid of. If I can get ground clearance without raising the motor then I'm all for it. I don't want to change my cg just for that extra clearance. It took me 2 years to get it to crawl how I've always wanted. Thanks for the knowledge brother! "thumbsup"

HumboldtEF 01-05-2021 06:33 PM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
I also meant to add that every high clearance skid is likely to be different from platform to platform as each have their own limitations. Some might not raise the CG as much as others.

kincer 01-05-2021 06:54 PM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimalHippie (Post 6061472)
You'll have to let me know what you think about it and post some pics. "thumbsup"

PS: go drag Mark out of the house and go crawl something once the ice and snow is gone

Will do, RPP tracking says it'll be here Thursday. I haven't heard from Mark in a while, I think his new human crawler is keeping him pretty busy lol

MOguy 01-07-2021 05:05 PM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
I just did a Bowhouse when I switched to the Scatter gun. I suppose it slips over things better but it is hard to tell. The Scattergun did allow for more upward movement and things do work better.

tim the toolman 01-09-2021 12:26 AM

Re: Did your high clearance skid make a difference???
 
I put a bow house skid on my sport, it seemed to help a bit maybe. And it didnt raise the motor or trans. I'm with you guys, if it did that it wouldn't be worth the extra clearance to me


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com