Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Carisma F-150 on my TRX-4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #41

Default Re: Carisma F-150 on my TRX-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Where in the world are you finding this body for sale? I have never seen just the body for sale and want to get my hands on one lol.
It's on Carisma's website. the one piece body is no longer available.
its so narrow I put 1.55's on it and hindered functionality of the TRX-4 but it looks good to me lol
Fiveflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2021, 03:39 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Yep... Carisma's site is the only place that I found it currently. But seems like they only take Pay Pal so that leaves me out... very unfortunately. I really wanted one.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Yep... Carisma's site is the only place that I found it currently. But seems like they only take Pay Pal so that leaves me out... very unfortunately. I really wanted one.
That's not true. You can pay with a credit card (debit card) if you want to... I just ordered the light kit from them and it still works that way for me.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #44

Got some custom emblems printed thanks to a contact through HPD. I would have liked a Ranger but the Custom is actually more fitting since I don't have other chrome bits.

They were printed in a perfect color, I just shot them again with a satin and tried to chip them a little. Next is to weather the shiney chrome and I'm on the fence now with putting some grime on the truck at this point after all your input.
Wheels definitely need some attention too though. Maybe a little brake dust up front and rust.

Old 01-28-2021, 05:50 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Thank you for the heads-up on the payment details. I tried that but it declined mine... maybe due to the name not matching the account that I created (?). I'll try again.

Those emblems look great! And I agree that the F250 is a better match w/o the rest of the Ranger trim package.

I wouldn't hesitate to carefully do a little more on the weathering... maybe do one panel or hood or tailgate in a very light rust primer brown... again, very light. Or something along those lines. I would probably put a very light Tamiya tint on the windows too. One thing that my buddy added to his was a rear-view mirror which I think looks awesome. But idk... so much that you can do... bed accessories too.

So... you might want to rust the wheels but up to you. I chipped and rusted my buddiys wheels on another rig and they look pretty legit. They were also white steelies. Need some scale looking lug nuts on those wheels too lol.

Truck sincerely looks awesome!
Old 01-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #46

There was a terrible accident in Chief Hopper's garage today. His leg got severed at the femoral head when he was lifting his front clip off... He's got his bottle of booze to numb the pain

Okay, truth is I was bending his legs to try getting him in a position to sit so I could make a bench seat... It snapped off right in my hands. I guess he's restricted to the front seat of of the truck permanently. Unless I build him a wheelchair.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:06 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
That's not true. You can pay with a credit card (debit card) if you want to... I just ordered the light kit from them and it still works that way for me.
BTW- I contacted my bank today and was informed that they have a policy that restricts overseas transactions. I've never had an issue with that security measure before now as I wasn't even aware of it lol. But it prompted me to go ahead and set up a PayPal acct. First purchase... a new Carisma Ford body heading my way! Thanks again for your input on this.

Quote:
There was a terrible accident in Chief Hopper's garage today. His leg got severed at the femoral head when he was lifting his front clip off... He's got his bottle of booze to numb the pain

Haha... whoops!
Old 01-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #48

Quote:
First purchase... a new Carisma Ford body heading my way! Thanks again for your input on this.
Awesome! I did notice that they had some pre-painted one piece bodies still but I'd imagine you got the 2-piece?
Looking forward to seeing your work with it!
Old 01-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #49

I'm really glad I practiced weathering on my 1/24th scale rig. After looking at it for a couple days I could have done that work for free by just ripping it through the mud for real. Got tired of it and wiped it off. At least it was just the lexan body to clean off.

After that and all you guy's input I'm happy with the truck as is for now. Just gotta dull the chrome.
Next up is getting the Chief a place to sit down in there
Old 01-29-2021, 09:43 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Yep I opted for the new 2-pc version. I was initially concerned that the final product wouldn't be as rigid or 'strong' as the single piece but I guess it'll be fine as long as I attach it well to the cab. I do like the space in between the cab and bed for scale appearance so that'll be nice. I also bought the deep drop in bed insert. I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the interior... might get that later after the body's finished. I also purchased the light kit but if the headlights look too blue like LED's I'll have to scrap those. Was a dumb move to get the lights but too late now. Having a hard time deciding on exterior color. Might hit up a couple auto parts stores tomorrow to see if anything catches my eye.

I'll be following what else you do with yours... really curious to see how you handle the interior and if your quick-disconnect driver will like it lol.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Yep I opted for the new 2-pc version. I was initially concerned that the final product wouldn't be as rigid or 'strong' as the single piece but I guess it'll be fine as long as I attach it well to the cab. I do like the space in between the cab and bed for scale appearance so that'll be nice. I also bought the deep drop in bed insert. I wish I had gone ahead and gotten the interior... might get that later after the body's finished. I also purchased the light kit but if the headlights look too blue like LED's I'll have to scrap those. Was a dumb move to get the lights but too late now. Having a hard time deciding on exterior color. Might hit up a couple auto parts stores tomorrow to see if anything catches my eye.

I'll be following what else you do with yours... really curious to see how you handle the interior and if your quick-disconnect driver will like it lol.
I actually think the 2piece body is stronger. kit comes with screws to bolt the pieces together. Once you connect them, it's pretty rigid. You got a link to the interior? Carisma has one? I thought I was gonna have to scratch build something...
Old 01-30-2021, 09:07 PM   #52

Our bad weather passed for the weekend. had a nice day today so I tested out the 1.55s. I'm not terribly disappointed, the diff's did get hung up a time or two but man it flexes with these smaller tires!

Old 01-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #53
RCC Addict

I'm reevaluating running 1.9s after seeing yours on those 1.55s! I've actually got some steel Landies that might look good. Yours really looks so scale and super tough. Absolutely love that green with the white wheels and that snarly mean ford face lol.

Here's the link to the interior:

https://carisma-shop.com/collections...d-f-150-324mm#
Old 01-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Man, I love this truck. Old fords have a soft spot in my heart lmao.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:32 AM   #55

To give you guys a little inspiration, it is possible to turn the narrow Carisma F150 body intoa scale build.

I built mine on the SCA-1E platform with narrow axles and 1.55 wheels and teeny tiny Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ tyres.

I even managed to get a full drop bed in it too.

It was a lot of work but its worth it for the end result

DSCF5684 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
Disco79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:40 PM   #56

That looks great! Do you have more pictures of that paint? Looks good.
Also curious about those Rancho shock you got for the steering stabilizer too.
This is on a TRX-4 chassis? Impressive!

Last edited by Fiveflat; 01-31-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:05 AM   #57

Quote:
That looks great! Do you have more pictures of that paint? Looks good.
Also curious about those Rancho shock you got for the steering stabilizer too.
This is on a TRX-4 chassis? Impressive!
Hi mate,

I had the bodyshell professionally airbrushed. The colour I chose was Candy Blood Red from the Autoair range of paint.

The Rancho twin steering stabilisers were custom made using extra long rod ends, some white vinyl wrap, the bendy part of a drinking straw and some vinyl logos.

This is on a Carisma SCA-1E chassis. I used MST MSA axles to get the wheels/tyres to tuck. The MST axles reduce track width by approximately 30mm over a standard crawler axle. I'm guessing you could do the same on a TRX4 to achieve the same result.

To get the lower ride height and incorporate the drop bed I changed the shocks to 75mm on all corners and did a partial delete of the rear shock mounts.

I will throw up some extra photos to let you see the paint colour in all its glory during the build process.

1. This should give you a better idea of the paint, it really pops in bright light
2020_0501_16323900 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

2. little bit of Americana on the rear window (custom made by myself)
2020_0704_20190100 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

3. even on 75mm shocks she can still flex and also show off that tyre tuck properly
FB_IMG_1595071290129 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

4. pretty much the final stance and showing the dropbed in place. Note the dropbed is sitting on the chassis rails so physically can't go any lower.
Roll bar is a 3D print for the much wider RC4WD blazer body but I cut and shut it to fit the F150
FB_IMG_1595785754099 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

My goal for this build was to get it as scale and realistiv as possible. Even the tyre choice was planned to replicate a real life 33'

If you want any other details feel free to ask.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:42 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Absolutely incredible work...

I bow before thee, sire!

Damn.

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Absolutely incredible work...

I bow before thee, sire!

Damn.

Cheers fella appreciate it!

Carisma F-150 on my TRX-4 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Carisma '76 Ford F-150 body on TRX-4 lwb? OThatsRich Traxxas TRX-4 14 01-20-2021 09:29 PM
Carisma sca-1e 1976 ford 150 Bennie98 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 08-03-2020 10:46 AM
1/24 carisma?????? Frank211 Micro Scale Rigs 26 12-19-2018 02:13 AM
IN STOCK NOW - NEW Carisma '76 Ford F-150 RTR RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-18-2018 02:12 PM