Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Hair Buns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2021, 04:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Hair Buns?

I decided that since I’m about to make major changes to my truck I’ll give these a shot while I’m still familiar with my setup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GPFJB4Y..._h61bGb8XPGRJR

They are definitely bigger than my foams.

Not too bad until I add the wheel.

This should be fun!

That was the worst experience with beadlocks in years.

Dual stage on the left, Hair bun on right.

How she sits.

Definitely more robust now. They feel very good though. They’re not vented, but still feel nice and squishy. The more you compress them the firmer they get. Side wall doesn’t feel much different from foams. Only time will tell. Unfortunately I can’t get out to test for a few days. I’ll try to do a video at the same time.

Last edited by PFongemie; 01-19-2021 at 04:09 PM.
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Hair Buns?

Uh... thanks for taking one for the team?

Seriously, though - if these are better than dual-stage CI foams, I'll give ya major props for trying them out first!

I ordered some very interesting Injora foams - they are pretty stiff on the outer ring, but the inner ring is more like a polyurethane closed cell - actually kinda heavy, and glossy red - gonna try them out soon:
Attached Images

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Both of these look very interesting, the hair buns and Injora foams. Excited to hear from both of yall!
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:22 PM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

This thread definitely has my attention. Look forward to feedback on both foams
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

I'm new to crawlers (RC) Just built my first one and while I'm used to airing WAY down in my 1:1, whats the thought process with RC?
I see some saying firmer dual stage or whatever is better. AllI have is the stock Traxxas at the moment. What am I missing out on?
Fiveflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
I'm new to crawlers (RC) Just built my first one and while I'm used to airing WAY down in my 1:1, whats the thought process with RC?
I see some saying firmer dual stage or whatever is better. AllI have is the stock Traxxas at the moment. What am I missing out on?
I'm not super big into foams, but here's my understanding of the "perfect" foam

strong/firm inner ring. that way your tire doesn't just fold over on itself. Soft or medium outer ring to have the right amount of "crush" to the terrain, but to where it still holds its shape.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:58 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I run whatever foam comes with the tire, and they get better with age kinda like wine. Those hair buns are interesting. I changed bead lock rings on one of my rigs today and almost pulled the foams to do the star cut thing but chickened out.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Been watching these hair donut shenanigans. Pretty interesting.🤔

I just tried the TOR Halo foams from Voo Doo.

I was skeptical at first, but they actually seem work really well.

I’m running the 1.9 Air Downs up front and 1.9 Whites in the rear in a new set of J-Concepts Landmines in the Green compound.

I’m pretty impressed with their performance.

dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:13 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Hairbuns?? Thats old news , or not? There was a thread about it in Autumn if I recall.
It works maybe under some circumstancies but , honestly, I trust the foams I bought more ;)
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 03:05 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
Hairbuns?? Thats old news , or not? There was a thread about it in Autumn if I recall.
It works maybe under some circumstancies but , honestly, I trust the foams I bought more ;)

I’m the same way. I’ve been into RC’s for many years. Foams are tried and true. This is new, but there are many people who say there just as good if not better. At $13 for the set I figured I’d try it.
My foams are to soft so I needed a new set anyways. They feel way better then before, but I still need to test to get my final review.
Here’s a video I found of a comparison.

https://youtu.be/PByNqTnWPKc
PFongemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
I’m the same way. I’ve been into RC’s for many years. Foams are tried and true. This is new, but there are many people who say there just as good if not better. At $13 for the set I figured I’d try it.
My foams are to soft so I needed a new set anyways. They feel way better then before, but I still need to test to get my final review.
Here’s a video I found of a comparison.

https://youtu.be/PByNqTnWPKc
This is funny I just learned about these 2 days ago and saw the video you linked to yesterday.

I was like are they really talking about using things people use for their hair as tire foam?!..sure enough they were LOL!

I bet it's just a matter of time before someone starts relabeling them and doubling the price.....hmmm?
TBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBuggy View Post
This is funny I just learned about these 2 days ago and saw the video you linked to yesterday.

I was like are they really talking about using things people use for their hair as tire foam?!..sure enough they were LOL!

I bet it's just a matter of time before someone starts relabeling them and doubling the price.....hmmm?
You guys weren’t around in the “olden” days before we had beautifully manufactured 2-3 stage foams.

We tried all kinds of weird ideas.

Brass BB’s, Airsift BB’s, craft beads, fuzzy parakeet toy balls, etc...

Some where more successful than others.

But until you try , you never know.

That’s what I miss from the early days of crawling, the experimental process and willingness to try out if the box ideas.

I guess it “easier” for us then as the box didn’t exist yet.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I can't tell much about how they will hold in the long run, but I can tell for sure that they are a big improvement over the stock foam my Dirt Grabbers came with.

The stock foam couldn't cope with the weight of the body and made the rig look ridiculous, like the tires were deflated. Here's a picture with the stock foams on:

And here's how it sits with the 90mm hair donuts I installed in the same tires:

The difference is very significant. Not only in static situations, but even in driving. It handles sidehills way better. Here it is sitting on a 22 degrees sidehill. No compression on the tire at all:

I'm still working to figure out my shocks setup, so can't tell if they will be more or less bouncy.

My first impressions are pretty good and they are definitely a value for money purchase. Maybe they won't deliver in demanding rock crawling situations, but for trailing they are awesome.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote

Hair Buns? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pulling my hair out DuraJeep Electronics 5 09-23-2009 12:58 AM
What a hair cut Mechanicalbob Chit Chat 8 10-13-2006 09:03 PM
Butt hair Mnster Chit Chat 16 04-23-2005 07:48 PM