Thread: Wheel Hex extenders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wheel Hex extenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
https://www.amazon.com/ZYCST-Aluminu...211372&sr=8-25

All kinds on Amazon, but can't say I'd run them. It's like stacking up 10 3" spacers on a 1:1 truck, creates a weak point and not safe(although saftey isn't an issue this small) and as HumboldtEF said, scrub radius would be horrible I would imagine. They vary from all sizes though if you do go that route, I think I even seen one for 40mm on each side

If I understand the scrub radius correctly, this will give me a lot of positive, right? Won't it help when turning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM5 View Post
Here’s some, Integy is in US it say for most Traxxas 1/10
https://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?...=#.YBhmVS3gGf0

This one is for TRX-4 definitely the size you are looking for, they’re in Hong Kong takes a while to get to US unless you gather enough parts to worth $20 on shipping Fedex int priority which get to the US in few days
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Tra...d=162835&pid=1

Dude, you are a miracle worker! The second ones is exactly what I was looking for and by complete chance I hace an order with ATees that hasn't shipped yet, so just added that set to my order. It never occured to me to check their site for these. Thunbs up for bringing this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Now now no need to get all salty lol. Just trying to help you out buddy. If you have it centered up on both wheel wells I'd say it is good to go and that was just one heck of a distorted angle due to how wide it is. Carry on

Don't get it personal, mate

It just took me so long to figure out the wheelbase setup for my Defender and looking for a lexan body to fit that wheelbase, that I could bet my house the wheelbase is right. Photos can be tricky sometimes

Anyway. I think the rtack issue will be solved with that set JCM5 showed me. I hope it won't create more problems than it solves. I'll give you an update when they get here and I install them.

Thanks everybody for taking the time.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I would personally do an SCX10ii or VS410 chassis with capra axles for this body. I think the width of the capra axles and a low offset wheel would look perfect without having the Chubs all exposed like when running extenders on narrow axles.
NABeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:36 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Not much to do on my other projects, while waiting for stuff to get through the post, so decided to work on this body a little bit. I'm still waiting for the wider wheel extenders to get here with the slow boat from China

Put some carbon details around the body

Then decided to get a bit creative, and made a custom roll bar from whatever scrp pieces I had lying around

Took it for a drive down by the beach today, and my son already tested it's durability
It holds up great. I'm waiting for a light bar to install on the roof and this will protect it, I think.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:53 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
If I understand the scrub radius correctly, this will give me a lot of positive, right? Won't it help when turning?
The farther out you space the wheels the worse steering will be. Feeling it out for yourself will be a good way to understand it better.

Imagine a pivot point in the center of the tires contact patch with the tire pivoting basically right in place.
Now image spacing the wheel out a bunch which moves the tire farther and farther away from that pivot point and your tire is no longer simply pivoting in a tight (centered) path rather its being dragged in an increasing arc.

Heres a highly technical drawing I just did, its a bit exaggerated to get the point across.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-05-2021 at 06:07 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Point understood
Old 03-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #26
RCC Addict

I didn’t notice a huge difference in steering, but could not keep my wheels from falling off lol. I have 3 sets of spacers collecting dust because of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 02:02 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I didn’t notice a huge difference in steering, but could not keep my wheels from falling off lol. I have 3 sets of spacers collecting dust because of it.

I haven't used them before, so can't really tell if they will be good or bad. As a plan B, I'm thinking some wider wheels, like the ones used in the Stampede. I've seen some Louise wheels that look good. Maybe I'll go that route.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:49 AM   #28
RCC Addict

What about some 2.2 with a smaller tire on them or even a stretched 1.9? Here’s a project I’m working on, knockoff Hyrax stretched on a 2.2 Gmade G02 Beadlock. Using them for beach/sand tires on my Jeep.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:52 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Default Wheel Hex extenders

Comparison. Stretched on right. A little wider without going taller.

Last edited by Phildirt; 03-06-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #30
RCC Addict

And the diameter doesn’t look too bad compared to 1.9. If anything it looks more modern/like what you actually see on trucks these days. Like a 20-22” versus a 17-18” wheel.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:57 AM   #31
RCC Addict

If it’s something you want to try just Google it...some tires work better, I took a chance on these because they were a spare set. Interco tires in particular look good stretched out a little.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

I've ordered some 2.2 wheels and tires for the other rig, but I don't think they will do the trick. The tire width is still too narrow. Maybe 55mm at best. Some Trenchers I've seen for the Stampede says 70mm width, which could be just right. Just need to get info on the offset.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
If it’s something you want to try just Google it...some tires work better, I took a chance on these because they were a spare set. Interco tires in particular look good stretched out a little.

So, how is it working out? Is the bead holding the tire under stress? Are they collapsing?

I'm thinking to try out the 1.9 Canyon Trails I have on some 2.2 wheels I'm expecting, but they are good tires and don't want to destroy them if it doesn't work.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:15 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

The wheel extenders fianlly got here. I ordered 2 different sets that utilize different approach to this.

The GPM ones screw on the existing axle and then you need to tighten the wheel with the long nut supplied in the bag. This is terrible. DO NOT buy it. First of all the machinery is tragic. Then the supplied nut would not fit any of my rims, because it's just too big to go through. So, useless and unusable.

The TRC ones is a pretty good set. IF you want to permanently alter your track width. The set includes an extended axle to replace the stock in the portal. So it gives better support to the hex extender. Good build quality, but not optimal for my needs. If I install this, swapping back to the D110 body, would be very time consuming. I'll definitely be using them in another rig, though.

So after all this time waiting, I'm basically looking for a set of typical 10-12mm extenders. It made pull the trigger and ordered a set of Trenchers for it.

I installed some lights too. This body doesn't have light buckets, so found some nice leds that can be screwed on the body. The Traxxas light bar provides the most light on the roof.

I trimmed the body. The fenders are completely gone, which made the body narrower by almost 10mm. The arches are larger now, but hopefully the Trenchers will fill the gap.

I fitted the CT's on the beadlock wheels and took it for a drive. They are much wider than those Amazon tires, so it looks much better with them. Not quite there yet, but better

Old 04-10-2021, 06:10 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

That annoying gap on the back, bugged me for some time now, but didn't really put any thought to it. Today I did the obvious. Flipped the rear bumper mount and got rid of the top part of the bumper. And it's finally there...

It came out perfect. Even gave it a 50 degrees departure angle. Should make a big difference on the rocks. My sone wanted a spare tire mounted on the back, so did that too. Not sure about it though. If it affects CG too much, we might get rid of it.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:03 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I received the Trenchers the other day and installed them. At the moment I'm still waiting for some 10mm hex extenders. They are a bit on the wide side, but the outer part of the wheels now sit just outside the wheel arches, so it looks much better.

The compound is harder than the average crawler tires, but it can still climb. Maybe I'll do some cuts on the threads to make it more grippy.

There are clearance issues however, because they hit the suspension links, so at the moment I've set the endpoints at 75% until I get some bended ones to solve this.

Wheel Hex extenders - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hex Hub extenders motoworx Vendors Tires and wheels 0 07-30-2017 02:28 PM
12mm hex wheel extenders? MonScx10 Axial SCX-10 7 01-15-2014 06:02 PM
5mm hex hub extenders clb59 Axial Wraith 2 06-12-2013 07:04 PM
12 mm wheel extenders steve708 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 07-26-2010 03:14 PM
12 mm hex extenders? CrawlnSlow Tires and Wheels 0 01-22-2005 10:02 PM