Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Proline FJ40 on TRX4 Sport

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Proline FJ40 on TRX4 Sport

So my wife's been wheeling her TRX4 Sport all year to good effect - she even built it herself, I just did the electronics. She wanted something different for the body and the Proline FJ40 fits the bill, but is designed for the Defender's longer wheelbase. I had fun doing this build/mod for her and thought I'd share the results.

I ordered the conversion kit that extend the Sport's 313mm wheelbase to 324mm https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8057 - it went on without a hitch.

I wanted to add some surface detail on the side so ordered a set of Toyota mirrors from Loops Models https://www.rc4x4-shop.com/Rubber-Mirrors-c3_5_2.htm I really like these cause they're made from flexible rubber and won't snap off on the rocks.

I also ordered a set of wheel arches from the Defender, as without them the wheels were looking goofy and sticking way out (I run 8mm wheel hexes).

To dress up the rear I also ordered the Defender's spare tire mount and used the accessories that came with the TRX4 Kit.

The body is designed to accommodate the stock Traxxas rear bumper, so it was retained, but the front begged for something more suited to the Toyota body. I ordered the SSD aluminum unit. PARTS FOR TRX-4D110 Aluminum Front Bumper for TRX4 / SCX10 II

The stock sliders also have enuf "give" in their mounting and can be angled to conform to the front taper of the FJ40

When I was masking off the body prior to painting it occurred to me that a better effect could be had by leaving the headlight lenses transparent and attaching the headlight stickers from the inside. This was done by slicking the headlight decals to some scrap paper that was tapped and glued from the inside.

The results gives a more 3D effect, at least to my eye. Here's a last one of the rig in action at the crawler course at Markham State Park in Sunrise, FL. Well, let me know what you guys think?

JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2021, 03:00 AM   #2

Default Re: Proline FJ40 on TRX4 Sport

Nice. I've always liked that style Toyota even in real scale.
JonnyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 05:12 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Not digging the rear fender flares but other than that it is a superb build. Color is great. Good idea with the headlights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Great looking body and color! I like that you added the rear fender flares to help cover up the tires from sticking out, but them being black really sticks out. I wonder if painting the front fender flares black with a flat clear over top of the black to dull the paint would help??

I also like how you cut the body in the rear to fit around the rear bumper! Also, great idea for the headlights!

It is a great looking rig! Great job!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Agree with B-Mow (sort of). Part of the "look" of the FJ40 though is the lack of rear fenders, gives it that love-able 'breadbox' look. Any oversized tire would poke out on a 1:1 as well, I don't think it would be weird looking. But if you search 'custom FJ40' on Google there are plenty with flares, most are color matched and quite a bit smaller than those. So either way painting the rear blue or the front black would be a win!

Edit - apologies for ranting about the fenders, not trying to derail the thread over such a small detail.

Last edited by Phildirt; 02-22-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyUK View Post
Nice. I've always liked that style Toyota even in real scale.
Indeed,and a big improvement over the Sport's rather dour design!
Old 02-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great looking body and color! I like that you added the rear fender flares to help cover up the tires from sticking out, but them being black really sticks out. I wonder if painting the front fender flares black with a flat clear over top of the black to dull the paint would help??

I also like how you cut the body in the rear to fit around the rear bumper! Also, great idea for the headlights!

It is a great looking rig! Great job!
Thanks for the kind works!! I also considered painting the front fenders flat black, but ultimately decided against it, as neither the color nor texture would be a direct match with the rears.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Agree with B-Mow (sort of). Part of the "look" of the FJ40 though is the lack of rear fenders, gives it that love-able 'breadbox' look. Any oversized tire would poke out on a 1:1 as well, I don't think it would be weird looking. But if you search 'custom FJ40' on Google there are plenty with flares, most are color matched and quite a bit smaller than those. So either way painting the rear blue or the front black would be a win!

Edit - apologies for ranting about the fenders, not trying to derail the thread over such a small detail.
Haha Phil, no worries, it's all about sharing and trading ideas. I've learned a TON from this forum, so happy to give back when a project might benefit others. Re fenders, see my reply to B-MOW71.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looks like I may have to fab up another FJ-40 cage since I sold this one. Yours looks fantastic on the TRX4.

KvilleKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I liked the FJ40 body on my wife's TRX4 Sport chassis so much I built one for myself!

One only significant change to this build, was to use the spare tire setup form the Traxxas Bronco https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-8074-.../dp/B07B6VBN4S This one done to save weight at the rear, as this setup is WAY lighter than the Defender's spare tire plus accessories on the green one (the Bronco's is hollow).

Now we can go cruise with "his and hers" Land Cruisers

Old 04-04-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Theres so much win here. From cool Toyotas to wheeling with the wife.

Looks like they both have there own flavor while being of similar capability.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:50 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

These look great; I love that last photo with the two trucks on the tree. What color blue did you use on the FJ you put together for yourself?
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:18 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Great job on both! They look great! Nice outdoor pics showing them off!
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Theres so much win here. From cool Toyotas to wheeling with the wife.

Looks like they both have there own flavor while being of similar capability.
Yeah, I'm lucky she enjoys wheeling, so we can share the hobby.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtMerchant View Post
These look great; I love that last photo with the two trucks on the tree. What color blue did you use on the FJ you put together for yourself?
Thanks, the TRX-4 is a fun build. Both colors were custom mixed from craft store acrylics and brushed on from the inside.
Old 04-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great job on both! They look great! Nice outdoor pics showing them off!
Thanks, Brian! I'm still amazed how much fun you can have going slow with our tiny trucks!
Old 07-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Default Discontinued! :(

I always thought this one was one of Proline's coolest bodies, so why-oh-why discontinue it?? https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp

I picked another one up on fleebay just to have a spare.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I like this body too, but find it odd that it's nowhere near 1/10 scale. It's more like 1/8.15 scale based on wheelbase.
pottymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:02 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I like this body too, but find it odd that it's nowhere near 1/10 scale. It's more like 1/8.15 scale based on wheelbase.
Yeah really a pity but of course it was catered to the TRX4 Defender wheelbase. It's not gonna look too happy beside a HPI Venture FJ cruiser body lol.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 08:15 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
True, it's a big body that looks larger than most rigs when placed side-by-side. It does however garner a LOT of attention, with folks always asking what it is, where to get one, etc.

Proline FJ40 on TRX4 Sport - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRX4 or TRX4 Sport Kit? Help please. m4inbrain Traxxas Crawlers 13 09-01-2021 07:47 AM
TRX4 Sport, help!!! Scissor34 Traxxas Crawlers 24 10-09-2019 09:26 AM
TRX4 Sport body on TRX4 Crawler kit chassisc redpeppers Paint and Body 7 09-14-2019 12:59 AM
Trx4 kit or trx4 sport mebeknob Newbie General 10 09-26-2018 10:38 PM