Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Burned motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Burned motor?

So, I was down the beach today and the car started behaving abnormal. It would not accelerate at all and then all of a sudden it would burst into speed. Tried to do some crawling at low speeds with precise throttle control and it just wouldn't start.

Then after a couple of switch on-offs it would work regurarly again. This happened randomly all morning.

I troubleshoot anything related to TX-RX connection. Did an ESC calibration, re-binded TX-RX, washed the car under the tab and through the motor, lubed it with some dry lube and tried again.

It seemed to work OK, then I saw smoke coming out of the motor. I tried some accelerations in high speed while keeping it on the air, and there was actual flames coming out of the motor.

Is it burned? It seems to work randomly.

My next move is to take the motor out and run it off the transmission case to see how it behaves.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Burned motor?

Probably got stuff clogged in the motor. Pick up a Holmes Hobbies motor for less than $20. It'll be better than stock.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Mletchworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:32 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I have a friend that burnt out his TRX4 motor only like the 2nd or 3rd time we went crawling. He was waiting on me to go crawling and had the TRX4 up against a tree doing a 4wd burnout (LOL), all of the sudden it just stopped. We took it apart and found that the brushes were just destroyed.
MrAwesome987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Considering that my rig is quite heavy, especially with the D110 hard body on it, which is a better replacement? Will something like the Hobbywing Fusion be adequate or should I look into something like an Axe system?

I was thinking to switch to the Hobbywing 1080 ESC before this, but now I'm thinking that I will need a stronger motor to cope with the weight. Would that be OK if paired with a decent motor?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

You can definitely get a brushed system that will handle the weight. But brushless is way more fun. The fusion will be perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm in dilemma. I can find the Fusion 1800kv for €140 and the XERUN AXE 540L R2 2800kv for €150. Between the 2 which one is the better choise?
Old 03-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I think the separate motor and ESC is a better choice because if one breaks, you can easily replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So, I ended up buying the Xerun Axe 540L R2 2800Kv, that I found in a very tempting price. I also ordered a 9T and a 10T pinion gear with it, on top of the 11T I already have. What do you think will be the better otpion to go with? The 9T?

My son sometimes uses the truck for bashing, and I don't want too much uncontrollable speed and acceleration untill he gets used to the new combo at least.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:18 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I run 9/45 in my sport and really like it. But all I do is slow crawl. No issues with it.

If yours is a 2 speed I say definitely go for it. The times you want more speed just put the rig into 2nd.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
My son sometimes uses the truck for bashing, and I don't want too much uncontrollable speed and acceleration untill he gets used to the new combo at least.
I dont know what you run for batteries but you could reserve a 2S battery for your son and use 3S for yourself, that will make it a little bit slower for him.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:08 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I dont know what you run for batteries but you could reserve a 2S battery for your son and use 3S for yourself, that will make it a little bit slower for him.

Very good point Humboldt!
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Atm I only have 3S. It just occured to me, that I have the bluetooth link connected to that TX. Will it still be usable to alter some settings from there?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I handed off my TRX4 to my Nephew thinking if I just dont mention what button is for 2nd gear he'll go nice and slow.... nope he found the switch immediately and commenced bashing lol

EDIT:
Quote:
Atm I only have 3S. It just occured to me, that I have the bluetooth link connected to that TX. Will it still be usable to alter some settings from there?
Yeah I think you can setup a training mode actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbuESg6r8FM

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-19-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I handed off my TRX4 to my Nephew thinking if I just dont mention what button is for 2nd gear he'll go nice and slow.... nope he found the switch immediately and commenced bashing lol

EDIT:

Yeah I think you can setup a training mode actually

Yes, the link has that option. Training mode or whatever it is called. Not sure about the other options however. If they do work with the Axe, it's going to be piece of cake to adjust on the fly through profiles
Old 03-19-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, the link has that option. Training mode or whatever it is called. Not sure about the other options however. If they do work with the Axe, it's going to be piece of cake to adjust on the fly through profiles
Oh yeah I forgot you may be swapping ESCs.

The training mode I linked is activated using the ESC but the Traxxas link app also has a training mode option. I'm not sure if that still functions without the stock ESC or not. I can say that cruise control remained functional without the stock ESC (because I kept the stock radio and receiver).

I have the TQI link and app and run a aftermarket ESC, If you'd like I can try to test this out after work.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh yeah I forgot you may be swapping ESCs.

The training mode I linked is activated using the ESC but the Traxxas link app also has a training mode option. I'm not sure if that still functions without the stock ESC or not. I can say that cruise control remained functional without the stock ESC (because I kept the stock radio and receiver).

I have the TQI link and app and run a aftermarket ESC, If you'd like I can try to test this out after work.

If you can do that, will be great, thanks!

I have everything stored up nicely in that rig through the link. It will be a pain, having to do it all over again, or even lose the option to alter things.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Hey It actually works! You can set a percentage between 0 and 100%, its actually kind of cool to play around with.

Tested with a Castle Creations SW4 ESC and the stock radio and receiver.

Burned motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just burned up the motor Oldblue72 Axial Wraith 1 04-10-2012 03:29 PM
Motor Burned Out jray Newbie General 3 01-15-2012 02:54 PM
Axial 27t motor burned out TRDGUYSCX10 Axial SCX-10 4 07-18-2011 11:29 PM
burned motor or ESC??? HELP PLEASE raolguio Electronics 9 02-16-2011 07:10 PM
how to tell if a brushless motor is burned? honchoscaler Electronics 0 12-19-2010 01:39 PM