Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Trx-6 Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 07:41 AM   #1

Default Trx-6 Help

Hey guys, first post on here so i apologize for any mistakes. I been a scrolling through here a lot but it looks like i haven’t found an answer to my question yet. I understand there are many variables so long story short here we go. Stock TRX-6, overdrive gear front axle, 230g brass on front portals, 144g brass third axle, high torque 400 servo, stock wheels and tires and everything else. Did great on trail course. Fried the motor at the end of the day. Since the. It got a hobby wing axe 550, 12 tooth pinion also tried 11 with same results. Beadlock 1.9” ssd wheels, pro line hyrax g8, pro line dual stage foam, rear weight was removed as suggested in other threads about trx6 front brass is at about 230. Handles better on rocks but it can’t grip on steep wood Ramps anymore. Just loses traction and slips won’t even try to climb. My question is, go to regular foam that came with hyrax, add weight again in rear, or vent tires or rims? This thing went from decent climbing with minimal slip when it was close to bone stock, to a lot of money and time and no climbing almost. Any help is appreciated.
Trx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #2

Default Re: Trx-6 Help

Bump
Old 07-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Canyon trails are very good tires. I can mostly keep up with my buddy's trx4 that's on Predator Hyraxes. (my canyon trails are cut though). Anyway, I'd say vent the tires. Also, they may need some time to break in.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Originally when it had issues i remember i had it on the 11 pinion. I put it back to the 12 and it climbed amazing today, also tried going back to factory wheels/tires, that just made it worse. Looks like it likes a 12T pinion. Hopefully this helps someone else in troubleshooting.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Were you needing speed to make it up the line you had trouble with? Not sure how the pinion changes the traction unless you needed additional speed to carry your up the line.

And I concur with Nino. The Canyons are great tires. If you cut them they're even better.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #6

Not really needing speed but i think the 11t pinion the LHS sold me might have been different pitch or something because the truck was making an awful loud noise with it and affected performance. Yes, i set the mesh as the manual states.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trx6 View Post
Not really needing speed but i think the 11t pinion the LHS sold me might have been different pitch or something because the truck was making an awful loud noise with it and affected performance. Yes, i set the mesh as the manual states.

You would know it if the pitch of the pinion and the spur gear were different. The stock Traxxas gears are 32P. The other common pitch is 48P.
Here's a picture for comparison. The top pinion is 32P and has teeth the same size as the spur, the bottom is 48P and has much smaller teeth.
Attached Images

mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:16 PM   #8

I see we’ll i figured i would just report my results instead of not answering. Thank you for all the suggestions.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trx6 View Post

If it was a Traxxas pinion then I’m pretty sure it’s correct pitch. It should say it on the packaging.

I’ve had pinions noisier than others. Robinsons have a little more gear noise than the traxxas for me in 9t.

I was wondering if it was gear whine that you’re hearing but from your description it seems to be a somethings wrong noise.

I’d get the rig up in the air supported, tires not touching and run it. That way you might be able to isolate where the noise is coming from.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crawler, tires, trx4, trx6

Trx-6 Help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New TRX-4 Sport & TRX-6 Intro & Questions TRX-4-Baker Traxxas TRX-4 11 08-18-2020 11:49 PM
TRX-4 Blazer/Bronco or TRX-6 Mercedes? Mudsplat79 Traxxas TRX-4 22 08-14-2020 08:25 AM