Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Finally bought a defender!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Finally bought a defender!

Well after years of rocking the OG SCX10 CF-100, installing a Dingo body and scaling that out. My buddy at work finally broke me down today and I stopped and picked up a brand new red Defender! I've driven his on lunch break and on the weekends when we get out kids together but now that I have my own THIS THING IS BAD A$$ Only driven it in my backyard right now but the 2speed/lockers are freaking AWESOME and the body is spot on! Now comes a empty wallet to make this one look better than my coworkers decked out blue Defender 🤣🤣🤣
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Finally bought a defender!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
Well after years of rocking the OG SCX10 CF-100, installing a Dingo body and scaling that out. My buddy at work finally broke me down today and I stopped and picked up a brand new red Defender! I've driven his on lunch break and on the weekends when we get out kids together but now that I have my own THIS THING IS BAD A$$ Only driven it in my backyard right now but the 2speed/lockers are freaking AWESOME and the body is spot on! Now comes a empty wallet to make this one look better than my coworkers decked out blue Defender

Awesome brother!!! Welcome to the family!!! The Trx-4 is an amazing platform. Extremely durable and reliable rig once you get rid of the stock ESC and steering servo. I love mine! It's not a Defender anymore tho. Allot of really good build threads around for the Trx-4. Allot of free and budget minded mods in my Trx thread. Good luck!!! Look forward to seeing what you do to it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Welcome to the club! LOL Was just out on the backyard course running my Defender (red also) this evening with the light kit blazing till I smelled a skunk and hauled some 2 spd a$$ back in the house.

Take your time on the mods and have fun. I love the remote diff lockers. (so much so I'm up to three TRX4s) Try challenging climbs with the diffs open and then lock them if you need. You'd be surprised how many times you forgot you were in open diffs!
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Welcome to the defender club! Open diffs can really teach you some things.

Look forward to seeing the rig!

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:35 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys! Have a couple questions though....why do the tires rub so bad under full articulation?
In open diff mode and doing a tight turn the truck is bucking...seems like CV's are binding?
Stock tire foams SUCK they are out of round or all bunched up inside all four tires. Truck hops and wiggles because of this
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 05:48 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
Thanks guys! Have a couple questions though....why do the tires rub so bad under full articulation?
In open diff mode and doing a tight turn the truck is bucking...seems like CV's are binding?
Stock tire foams SUCK they are out of round or all bunched up inside all four tires. Truck hops and wiggles because of this

The tires rub because the portals make the center of gravity higher. So they tried to make the chassis as low as possible. I don’t think there’s any way of getting around that other than going to smaller tires.

I am pretty sure all TRX-4 do that when you have the steering throw maxed out. I know mine has always done it. Most noticable when reversing.

The stock tires are great. The foams are terrible. When you decide to pick up some beadlocks wheels. Go ahead and get some good dual stage foams.

AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:23 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Finally bought a defender!

Double check and make sure the drive shafts are phased correctly, that can cause some binding in the drive train, and I’ve heard of them being out of phase on the rtr models. I’ve even heard of people disassembling the transmission to make sure the front and rear outputs are matched perfectly.

Some drive train bind/wind up is normal with front and rear diffs locked, the more traction you have the more noticeable it will be. If it’s relatively smooth with the axles unlocked, it may be normal.

Stock foams are not great, that would be one of my first upgrades personally, some beadlock wheels and foams. I had good luck with crawler innovations lil nova 4.5” med/firm in the stock tires.

Tire rub is normal, I ended up putting 4.3” Proline TSL’s on mine and I’m happy with the look, and no rubbing.

Last edited by twade984; 07-16-2021 at 06:26 AM.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

The driveshafts were out of phase on my sport rtr.

I picked up a new take off sport trans from the tracks kit whose outputs were phased correctly and much smoother.

I’ve had zero issues with the stock foams/tire setup after I cut the tires. Compared to Pred Hyrax and Landmines, the modded stockers do not hold me back and my rocks are slick granite.

The lighter weight of the sport may play a part in this though.
Benp is offline   Reply With Quote

Finally bought a defender! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally bought one... YellowRabbit Newbie General 10 11-29-2018 05:29 AM
Finally bought another scale crawler Neil2704 Newbie General 14 12-31-2017 07:35 AM
Finally bought a scale and weighed some options Dextroyer Axial Yeti XL 2 10-05-2015 12:38 AM
finally bought a scale crawler 4everyoung Axial SCX-10 5 03-21-2014 05:45 PM
Finally Bought Another Bike Shaun Chit Chat 8 09-23-2010 05:26 PM