Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Steering angle mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2020, 07:25 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Steering angle mods

So, I've searched and I'm not coming up with much. One of my 'complaints' about the TRX4 is the steering angle, or lack thereof. I found I could get *slightly* more than stock by trimming on the stock parts a bit. But, the cvd's look like they're the limiting factor, and even without that limit the design doesn't otherwise leave much on the table anyway.

Are there aftermarket portals and universals that allow for more steering angle on the TRX axles? I'm not finding anything but figured it's worth asking here.

And maybe a sidebar question, for those that have an scx10.3 or just the ar45 axles...can you get more than 45 degrees of steering from those?

I'm trying to pick some portal axles for a build and steering angle is a huge priority for me!
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Steering angle mods

I was under the impression that compared to the scx10, element, redcat and vanquish the trx4 already has the best turning radius.
mr_alister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well, maybe stock vs stock...I don't know for sure and I'm more concerned with the possible increase with mods. TRX is supposed to have 45 degrees in stock form and so does the scx10.3. VP F9 portals get 50 degrees or so stock. My Enduro and SCX10.2 axles have way more than that with mods even though they start with somewhere around 45 degrees. The problem is that if the TRX axles don't have an option for universals instead of cvd's, nothing else matters since those are going to be the limiting factor.

FWIW, this is mainly for competition. Having more steering angle is a huge help, especially under certain rule sets. Some guys get as much as 70 degrees, and every little bit counts.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

If you carefuly clearance the CVD joints you can get a bit more steering angle but you also give up a bit of strength due to removing material.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_alister View Post
I was under the impression that compared to the scx10, element, redcat and vanquish the trx4 already has the best turning radius.
If you are talking he older SCX 10 with the larger diffs maybe but not the newer ones with Axials with the AR44s.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2020 at 10:22 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have a few axials, an Enduro and a TRX4. The TRX4 is the worst at turning and the portals aslo make it wider. The AR44 axles, and whatever the Enduro has, turn so much tighter.

You can add caster and it will GREATLY increase it turning radius but you can do the same with the AR44. There are Ar44 axles and the Enduro axles that allow you to rotate the axel ends for more negative caster, so you to mess with your pinion angel. With the TR4 you have to rotate the entire axle and changes your drive line angles (not a big deal like a real vehicle) and your pinion hangs down lower.

Even then if you have the Sport you can not unlock your diffs so it will never be like some other RCs.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-07-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Well, maybe stock vs stock...I don't know for sure and I'm more concerned with the possible increase with mods. TRX is supposed to have 45 degrees in stock form and so does the scx10.3. VP F9 portals get 50 degrees or so stock. My Enduro and SCX10.2 axles have way more than that with mods even though they start with somewhere around 45 degrees. The problem is that if the TRX axles don't have an option for universals instead of cvd's, nothing else matters since those are going to be the limiting factor.

FWIW, this is mainly for competition. Having more steering angle is a huge help, especially under certain rule sets. Some guys get as much as 70 degrees, and every little bit counts.
I am finding the same thing, some negative caster helped. Some that I have comped with get so much angle the tire almost lays over and can help you climb over a ledge.

I was building my TRX4 for a 1.9 comp and have abandoned that and gone with an Axial (AR44) based build. I just can't maneuver enough to compete n that class. Another issue with portals is the added width. That can be an issue is some classes for clearing gates. I am using my TRX4 for a 2.2 class that allows the use of the extra servos for the diffs and adding dig (at some point). I got a different build using AR44 for my 1.9 build.

I do have a friend that did a portal delete on his TRX4. He wanted lowest center of gravity possible but it also seems to have tightened his turning radius.

Last edited by MOguy; 07-29-2020 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The portal delete narrows the truck significantly. That's where the decrease in turning radius comes in.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The axles are the width they were designed to be. There not wide because they're portals, they could have been made narrower. It's in fitting with that size of truck I. E. 1/10 scale. As for poor turning circle on the trx4 don't make me laugh. That was one of the main talking points on the trx4 when it first came out. I don't know why people buy a particular truck just to change everything. Just buy a different truck.
crazee horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
With the TR4 you have to rotate the entire axle and changes your drive line angles (not a big deal like a real vehicle) and your pinion hangs down lower.

Swap the C-hubs side to side. That will reduce the positive caster a good deal over stock. I have done that accidentally and HATED the way it drove but then I hate the way most comp trucks are set up to drive.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Swap the C-hubs side to side. That will reduce the positive caster a good deal over stock. I have done that accidentally and HATED the way it drove but then I hate the way most comp trucks are set up to drive.
Thanks.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:42 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
The axles are the width they were designed to be. There not wide because they're portals, they could have been made narrower. It's in fitting with that size of truck I. E. 1/10 scale. As for poor turning circle on the trx4 don't make me laugh. That was one of the main talking points on the trx4 when it first came out. I don't know why people buy a particular truck just to change everything. Just buy a different truck.
My Enduro and Axial turn shaper. As far as changing, if you bought you can change it. If I hadn't changed the servo horn I would have only been able to enjoy my TRX for an evening.

Some people like change, I guess you don't.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

If you're buying portals for steering angle you wont find it with any brand, 45 degrees seems to be the max. With portals you'll want some aggressive overdrive to help drag the front end around turns or 4 wheel steering. Oh and clocking the front axle for some extra caster helps a bit.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 07-30-2020 at 07:33 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

You can go to the Traxxas website and find overdrive and underdrive. I bought the Traxxas grease but others like marine grease and Lucas red and tacky. BenP tried both o.d. and u.d. and did not like it. We both have front overdrive and will keep it. For $40+ grease price and less than an hour...you can have much tighter steering while the front is locked in. I bought both of mine on Ebay. Go light on the grease and only on the gears..it may stop the transition of locking and unlocking movement of the T-lock.

Last edited by Jeff6x6; 08-02-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff6x6 View Post
If you go heavy on the grease in...it may stop the transition of locking and unlocking the hubs.

Avoid greasing the locker dogs, it can create an air lock that prevents them from being able to move. The factory doesn't grease them and you shouldn't either.

I made this mistake once and its not something you want to do
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:15 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
As for poor turning circle on the trx4 don't make me laugh. That was one of the main talking points on the trx4 when it first came out. I don't know why people buy a particular truck just to change everything. Just buy a different truck.
The turning radius on a TRX4 *is* poor compared to trucks with AR44 and Enduro axles.

And this really isn't about a truck, its about the TRX axles. You may have missed one of my comments that its for a competition truck, you're not going to be competitive with a stock truck in most classes/rulesets. Your use case isn't the only use case.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:19 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Even with the OD and UD gears, and a little work to get slightly more steering angle, the turning radius on my TRX4 just kinda sucks compared to my AR44 and Enduro based trucks. The OD and UD only get you so much better turning radius, though a little improvement can be had in other ways as has been discussed. But it's not just about the turning radius either, there are times the extra steering angle itself comes into play, at least for me. I might end up trying the TRX axles with another trans that has build in OD so it has more OD than just the optional axle gears give you, but I think without more actual steering angle it still gives up some to the straight axles in some situations.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I am finding the same thing, some negative caster helped. Some that I have comped with get so much angle the tire almost lays over and can help you climb over a ledge.
That's one of the situations I was referring to above where the steering angle itself becomes helpful. It's not that the turning radius is tight, its that you can do things with the extra steering angle that simply aren't possible without it.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:19 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Afterwards adjusting my caster 24% (OD and UD) and playing with my end points I can now get my trx4 to turn is tight as my comp build with ar44 (30% OD) as long as I have both axles unlocked on my TRX4. That is all fine great on the kitchen floor but when the terrian gets rough things don't work the same.

HOWEVER

There are times when you can unlock the rear diff and keep the front diff locked and the trx4 will turn almost like it has dig. There are times when side hilling where you can unlock front diff and side Hill a lot better A vehicle locked axles.

Last edited by MOguy; 08-07-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Its possible to get 60* of steering angle from the Capra/AR45 portal with a little trimming of the C's and clearancing the universal shafts.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering angle mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
steering angle RAPTOR1990 Newbie General 2 09-23-2019 01:53 PM
How Do I get more steering angle? Paul97 Axial SCX10 II 9 06-24-2019 10:13 AM
Better steering angle out of a TH? Jim85IROC Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 02-07-2018 08:45 PM
anything mods to get more steering angle? champ198 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 9 11-02-2011 02:42 PM
Steering Angle HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 1 11-26-2008 11:05 AM