Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: SLN's Sport Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2022, 09:12 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SLN's Sport Kit

Thanks HPD! I eventually got them in with patience.

Finally got her out for the first time this year, been so busy I just haven’t had time. I also got the 9/45 gearing in, but I’m not sure I wanna use it. I feel it will be way too slow with the 1800kv. Still running 17/39. The 9/45 will
probably wait until I get a different motor/ESC combo. Speaking of, I’ve been eyeing the Spektrum 2-in-1 2300kv waiting for it to come back in stock. I really like not having an ESC so that way I don’t have to use the side plates.

Anyway, here’s the pics from yesterdays crawl. Definitely becoming one of my favorites.

Had to get one of the truck

Old 04-26-2022, 09:24 AM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

Sweet outdoor pics! Glad to hear you're getting her running good!

I've never or probably never will get to run on volcanic rock, but the rocks look like they would be fun to crawl on!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:01 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN's Sport Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Sweet outdoor pics! Glad to hear you're getting her running good!

I've never or probably never will get to run on volcanic rock, but the rocks look like they would be fun to crawl on!

Hey thanks Brian she’s running great and I couldn’t tell ya what’s next. Plenty of weight to stick on inclines and the Fusion is perfect for my crawling style.

Lava rock is definitely fun, here in this particular spot it’s pretty jagged and difficult to navigate. Portals definitely rule in spots like this. But there’s also relatively smooth lava rock which is a blast as you can climb up pretty much anywhere.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 05-23-2022 at 01:56 AM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:54 AM   #24
Slow is the new Fast

Yup, dude yer living in paradise. What a place to spend an afternoon crawlin. Looking at your truck I am realizing you spend all your time outdoors as well. Living the life...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:04 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Hope your well scale! I love your living the aloha lifestyle i should bee there in maui the next 3 to 5 years and maybe we can crawl together in hi.... Buzzzz....
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:52 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN's Sport Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Yup, dude yer living in paradise. What a place to spend an afternoon crawlin. Looking at your truck I am realizing you spend all your time outdoors as well. Living the life...

Yes sir, it’s really hard to go a day without being outside lol.

Speaking of, went camping Friday night and came back this morning. Just slap the bed cover back on the truck and ya got a ‘tent’. Anyway, camping was a great time and I will definitely be going back there. Good spot for swimming, and great for crawling & fishing.

Day 1:

Nice sunset on the first night

Had to do a quick fix during a night run due to the pinion set screw coming out. Luckily had a short button head that worked out fine.

Day 2:

Other than that pinion screw, no problems what so ever. I know I say it every time, but I am still so amazed at how good this rig just works. The Fusion combo has definitely became my go-to as well.

The only thing I have thought about doing to this is putting in a dig transmission and maybe a new Sport body.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 AM   #27
Go Buckeyes!

More beautiful pics in paradise! Oh, and that sunset!!!

Nice fix on the pinion! Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!
Old 05-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Yeah... that really appears to be a rock-crawling paradise, Add the camping/ fishing... What a great experience. I'm afraid if I went swimming though, that I'd be mistaken for some wayward beluga whale, captured, then released far off shore where I'd quickly drown.

I really dig the color on the rig. That bright green looks like it would be easy to see at a distance and maybe easier to navigate. I have poor eyesight and with my black trx4, I'd probably accidentally step on it while trying to find it camouflaged against that volcanic rock.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 12:00 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN's Sport Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Yeah... that really appears to be a rock-crawling paradise, Add the camping/ fishing... What a great experience. I'm afraid if I went swimming though, that I'd be mistaken for some wayward beluga whale, captured, then released far off shore where I'd quickly drown.

I really dig the color on the rig. That bright green looks like it would be easy to see at a distance and maybe easier to navigate. I have poor eyesight and with my black trx4, I'd probably accidentally step on it while trying to find it camouflaged against that volcanic rock.

Thank you! At first I didn’t like how green it was, but it has definitely grown on me. Here’s the paint I used if you wanna try it yourself! It’s held up pretty good for being thrown into sharp jagged rocks for the past 5 months or so. I always back my bodies with 2 thick layers of black paint for durability purposes. I’m not actually sure if it helps or not, but I atleast can tell myself it does

Funny story, me and a couple of my buddies were out in the lava fields crawling and one of the guys dropped his tool/screw bag and as you can imagine, things went everywhere. We looked for a solid 15 mins for his black Allen wrenches lol. Thank god his all his screws were stainless!

Old 05-28-2022, 07:33 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I do not own any Traxxas stuff, but that looks like a pretty sweet little truck!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post

Thank you! At first I didn’t like how green it was, but it has definitely grown on me. Here’s the paint I used if you wanna try it yourself! It’s held up pretty good for being thrown into sharp jagged rocks for the past 5 months or so. I always back my bodies with 2 thick layers of black paint for durability purposes. I’m not actually sure if it helps or not, but I atleast can tell myself it does

Funny story, me and a couple of my buddies were out in the lava fields crawling and one of the guys dropped his tool/screw bag and as you can imagine, things went everywhere. We looked for a solid 15 mins for his black Allen wrenches lol. Thank god his all his screws were stainless!

Amain Addict
Ah, yeah I've seen that stuff. Think I used a can of that in grey on another project... seems to be fairly durable when fully cured iirc. I like that green color with the dirt and dust and dents. Perfect bright color to contrast the grit and grime.

lol @ losing black tools in that volcanic rock...
Old 05-29-2022, 01:33 PM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

That color looks great! I'll have to try out that Tropical Leaf color on one of my bodies in the future. Probably try it out one of my hard body Jeeps.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:39 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN's Sport Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
That color looks great! I'll have to try out that Tropical Leaf color on one of my bodies in the future. Probably try it out one of my hard body Jeeps.

Thanks Bmow

Went camping again this weekend, had Friday off so we took advantage of it. If some of these pictures look familiar, it’s because we went to the same spot. I went out farther down the coast than last time and found some great crawling spots.

Day 1:

Day 2:

And wham! She took a fall as tall as me(I’m 6’ 1”) onto a sharp rock and dented the roof pretty good which also took a lot of paint off the body. Lost a headlight lens too. And my rear axle is crooked where my left rear tire is sitting farther forward than my right. Haven’t dug into it yet but I’m not sure if it was from the fall or not.

I kept my crawl on!

Day 3:

The big dent came out, but there’s still a small one on the edge and there’s a cut in the hood. Good excuse for a new body lol.

I might get some real Hyrax’s for this truck along with a new body. These tires grip great and I can only imagine how good a legit hyrax will do. As far as the body, I want a PW but they’re so common i don’t want to be just another PW in the bunch. Let me know y’alls thoughts on it or some recommendations on a light body.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 06-27-2022 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 07:00 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Looks like some unforgiving terrain!

Unfortunately there are only so many body options, imo you just get what you like and don’t worry about how many there are. I’ve always liked pw bodies myself, and may eventually get mine finished

The ecto could be a cheaper alternative to a pw body though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:47 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Looks like some unforgiving terrain!

Unfortunately there are only so many body options, imo you just get what you like and don’t worry about how many there are. I’ve always liked pw bodies myself, and may eventually get mine finished

The ecto could be a cheaper alternative to a pw body though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at the Ecto body a little bit ago and the next day I went back to order it and Amain was out of stock. Crazy how fast Element bodies go. Looks like they’re back now though. I have a few ideas for bodies just need to pick one.

After tearing down the TRX4 I found out what had happened. Believe it or not I bent the rear axle housing. It’s kind of hard to tell in the pics but the right side is bent back a little bit. It had to be from the fall when the body got beat up. Went ahead and cleaned/greased the portal boxes while I was there. Going to do the front axle and the transmission next.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

ive bent alot of stuff but a plastic axle housing isent one of them
ive broken a few
melted a couple of them
but bending a plaztic axle housing that has to be a cake eaters bar file
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 07:30 PM   #37
RCC Addict

lol I'm pretty sure I never have either. Fractured a few a-arms in nitro rigs and a slash but yeah... that must've been a hard hit on that axle. And you can def see it's bent in that pic.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:47 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN's Sport Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
ive bent alot of stuff but a plastic axle housing isent one of them
ive broken a few
melted a couple of them
but bending a plaztic axle housing that has to be a cake eaters bar file

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
lol I'm pretty sure I never have either. Fractured a few a-arms in nitro rigs and a slash but yeah... that must've been a hard hit on that axle. And you can def see it's bent in that pic.

Lol, it’s seems as if I’ve done the unthinkable

I got my new body in a few days ago and have been working on it here and there and got it painted today. Definitely took some playing around with and a lot of questionable trimming to make it sit how I wanted it to. I’m pretty happy with how it came out, ride height is right where I wanted it and it still looks halfway scale IMO. Unfortunately I did have to cut a hole in the hood for my battery wire.

I’m still working on the front end, I kind of like the low hanging front portion but if it gets in the way it’ll come off. Same with the sides, if they get hung up a lot I may raise them up. Hoping I won’t have to as I like that full body look.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any suggestions

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 07-25-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:37 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

The more I look at this body the more I don’t really like it lol. Something just seems off about it and I can’t figure it out. I don’t know if it’s the proportions or the aggressive trimming I did, but it’s odd looking. I think I might try something new, like the PW or maybe even the Traxxas 4tec body [mention]distinctive pd [/mention]used on one of his builds. Either way this will be staying until I make my mind up.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:52 AM   #40
RCC Addict

I agree to a point that it looks a bit off but I also think that it's not ruined... just compromised. At least for my personal taste, that particular body style is a very traditional and conservative look. Could be that in the 1:1 world, tires that big would typically be under a lifted rig, not a lowered one... at least in terms of that body style. But it doesn't look bad... just that something else might've worked better. And who knows... maybe some graphics/ decals and some trail-rash is all that it needs. I do think that raised up just a hair would also help.

SLN's Sport Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SLN's C1 Enduro ScaleLifeNewbie Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 14 09-10-2021 01:17 PM
WWYD: Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit or Sport Kit? theace18 Newbie General 19 05-27-2020 08:47 AM
Help me compare SCX10 iii kit vs TRX-4 sport kit Veteran Axial SCX10 III 9 04-02-2020 03:55 PM
TRX4 Sport kit or TRX 4 Crawler kit Question redpeppers Newbie General 13 09-15-2019 06:00 PM
TRX4 Sport Kit or SCX10II Raw Builder's Kit? westerlycarrot9 General Crawlers 13 05-10-2019 10:34 PM