Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Lowering my body.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2021, 06:34 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Lowering my body.

I just finished my rc4wd Tacoma 4 door and it's quite a bit higher in the rear. I've got front body mounts in both locationsand they're as low at the can go. With the rear body mount of, it's not much different. I'm OK with cutting the bed around the shock tower, but I'm not sure how I'd attach the rear of the body. Are there aftermarket shock towers that have a lower height? I've looked a bit, but can't really find anything. Id rather lower the bed than raise the cab, as the front doesn't run, and rear looks to have plenty of clearance. Thanks guy!
Afterbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lowering my body.

Some pics of your setup would help us make suggestions.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:23 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I'll get pics when the kids go down for bed.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w4W...w?usp=drivesdk
I'm not sure how to post pictures, and the "how to" is from 2006.i hope the link worked. If you look at the slider you can really tell how much of an higher it is.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterbang View Post
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w4W...w?usp=drivesdk

I'm not sure how to post pictures, and the "how to" is from 2006.i hope the link worked. If you look at the slider you can really tell how much of an higher it is.
Download tapatalk to your phone or tablet. You can load the pictures directly from your phone or tablet. no 3rd party needed.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

OK, I downloaded tapatalk, the picture page said to keep it under 700 pixels in each direction. If that not still the case I can repost the picture, but I think I've got it figured out now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2021, 05:40 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure if that was at the lowest setting. This is how it looks, with the mounts as low as it goes. The next ones and the mounts in using. Last picture is where it like to end up, so I can adjust the body up to clear the sliders.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:11 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Unfortunately, without a lot of extra work your quickest and easiest route would be to raise the front end to match the rear since the rear is already bottomed out on the supports...the gap this creates between body and chassis floor can be 'taken up' by removing rock sliders, cutting the arms off of them, reverse flipping and reinstall with a couple screws thru chassis floor.
Just from the pics it looks as though this is the best alternative as it would give proper clearance in the front as it looks super tight right now between outside tire diameter and front wheel well near cab body.
Below is an example of the reverse flipped rock sliders I did on a body lifted project..

After that I even had the clearance to install the G500 dual exhaust with the pre-drilled factory hole locations.
Yours should be fairly easy..my lift was done on a clipless system.

Last edited by Double vision; 12-10-2021 at 04:16 AM.
Double vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:24 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Cantilever shocks and body post sitting on frame in the rear.

Double vision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the ideas! I forgot about the cantilever system. Does it effect performance in either way?

Old 12-12-2021, 08:31 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I'm only able to work with what I have, I don't have lots of extra parts. But I was able to cut out the rear shock towers to get the body level with the slider mounts(?), I'm not sure what to call it, but the body is even with it. I've got it where I want it, actually it needs to go up a little bit. How should I mount it to the frame? The front mounts work find. Fine. I thought about drilling out some body mounts attach to the slider mount, but it's more trimming than I want to do. Any other ideas? I'll take a few more pics of how I got it this low.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'm a little late to this party, since you already cut the body. You could try the pen spring mod in the rear shocks to see if it would make a difference. Search for it in Youtube or Google.

As for mounting the body now, I think your best option will be magnets.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I'm not sure how the pen supporting would have helped. It wasn't the shocks that were the issue. It was the shock tower and not being able to get the body where I wanted it. I appreciate the input regardless. I don't really understand the magnet body mounts. How can it be strong enough to stay on if I roll it, but still be able to remove it?

Old 12-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

The pen spring inside the shocks would lower the ride height, so it should bring the axle closer to the body, inside the wheel arches. It worked for my D110, when I had a similar issue. If you get the right size magnets, it should hold fine. Or you can go the other route and get Traxxas new clipless system, but that would require some modification and extra budget.
Old 12-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

I cut holes in my bed for my shock towers to pass through. I ran a ziptie through the towers underneath where I want the bed to sit. The bed rests on the zipties. I put a pin through the shock towers to keep the body in place.

Last edited by MOguy; 12-15-2021 at 09:08 AM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:30 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

The zip tie idea is great! The body sends like it would keep it pretty tight. Maybe I'll give that a shot. As far as the pen spring, would that be instead of the outer spring? I got the body about where is like it. I ordered samix shock towers and have been looking at different shocks. Well see where it goes. Any thoughts is shocks?

Old 12-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
I cut holes in my bed for my shock towers to pass through. I ran a ziptie through the towers underneath where I want the bed to sit. The bed rests on the zipties. I put a pin through the shock towers to keep the body in place.

Can you post a picture? It sounds interesting for some applications, but I didn't understand how you put the pin through the shock towers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afterbang View Post
The zip tie idea is great! The body sends like it would keep it pretty tight. Maybe I'll give that a shot. As far as the pen spring, would that be instead of the outer spring? I got the body about where is like it. I ordered samix shock towers and have been looking at different shocks. Well see where it goes. Any thoughts is shocks?

Check this video to see the application of the pen spring. It's inside the shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7tHxBUNuAU

Why spend money to change the GTRs? They are supposed to be one of the best shocks around

Lowering my body. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lowering the CG Crunch Axial SCX10 II 1 08-16-2020 12:09 AM
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM
Body lowering rollover3t Newbie General 0 10-07-2009 10:45 PM
Lowering my ax 10 xxinterboyxx Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 02-15-2009 07:58 PM
Lowering ax 10 AXE 10 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 01-08-2009 06:35 PM