Notices

Thread: TRX-4 to 6x6 Conversion Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2022, 06:19 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TRX-4 to 6x6 Conversion Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xagoras View Post
This is a great project and it's bugging me for a while that the TRX-6 isn't avaialble as a kit to build. I was thinking to get the Chassis kit and the spare parts to do this. I do have some in my parts box from other projects.

I was thinking to add a spool in the rear axle and keep the middle one lockable. In the exploded views, it shows locking cables in both rear axles. I'm not familiar with the TRX-6, so what's the deal here? I know it has 2 diff servos, so how does it work in the RTR? Or are the exploded views for reference only?
I started from the TRX4 Sport kit which doesn't have locking/unlocking diffs, so controlling the diffs wasn't an issue. I actually had to improvise to lock the eBay sourced axel I used for the rearmost one.

Yes, the TRX6 has locking diffs. One servo controls the front and another controls BOTH rear axles. Unfortunately the image references the left side of the chassi, but in the exploded view below you can just see the dual pivot balls on the servo horn for the rear axle.

Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but I don't find lockable diffs very useful in a crawler. I would suggest starting with the Sport kit which is cheaper and runs everything locked. The dig function, on the other hand I do use on the rigs that have it.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2022, 07:21 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I see. I have one rig with lockable front and rear, and one with lockable/spool. Although i mostly run them locked, sometimes it helps to take tighter corners when unlocked. I was thinking to either go lockable/spool/spool or lockable/lockable/spool with the 6X6.
xagoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

I finally got mine done. I will have to see if I can get some pictures up soon.
1FSTLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:16 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTLS1 View Post
I finally got mine done. I will have to see if I can get some pictures up soon.
IMGUR.COM works well for hosting pics if that's the issue.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:45 AM   #25

Sigh, where were you when I started my Trx4 sport conversion???

Love what you did! Mine turned out quite expensive as I used metal axle housings, cantilever shocks etc. Built for looks more than performance....bit of waste tbh, but might change that in future...

Who says I can't build another 6x6 ?

Awesome stuff!

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk
Bloody Idjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 11:16 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody Idjit View Post
Sigh, where were you when I started my Trx4 sport conversion???

Love what you did! Mine turned out quite expensive as I used metal axle housings, cantilever shocks etc. Built for looks more than performance....bit of waste tbh, but might change that in future...

Who says I can't build another 6x6 ?

Awesome stuff!

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the kind words and absolutely, only one 6x6 isn't near enuf I have THREE! Here's an Axial based one based on the raw builder's kit.

Old 06-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #27

So I have been collecting parts for a few weeks now and have partially built a TRX6 on the TRX4 Sport chassis rails. The rear shock towers are my biggest issue as they want to mount about 5mm behind the end of the frame. I have some ideas to help the rear shocks but I am still waiting for rear lower links before cutting or modifying anything.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hRXSncYcsPwctGw78

Last edited by mpatrick; 06-25-2022 at 05:53 PM. Reason: updated to add pics
mpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #28

Although difficult to see in the pictures, the rear shock towers have one screw in the last frame hole.

Body is Gmade Bom.

Has anyone found a source for TRX4 rod ends with balls or should I just buy aftermarket (or used). Removing the factory installed ends is partially pulling out the threads.

I have edited the post; I hope the pictures are working now.

Michael

Last edited by mpatrick; 06-25-2022 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:16 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

None of the links in posts 27 or 28 work, FWIW.

I think everyone should have a 6x6. They're absolutely great. I built mine out of my Defender, then changed, you know... most everything.
I don't know if anything even remains of the TRX-4 from when I bought the RTR... but I also didn't drop $650 on a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

The body is two JConcepts Lloyds stitched together, aluminum fenders/sliders, and a wooden bed.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:28 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Smile Re: TRX-4 to 6x6 Conversion Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
None of the links in posts 27 or 28 work, FWIW.

I think everyone should have a 6x6. They're absolutely great. I built mine out of my Defender, then changed, you know... most everything.
I don't know if anything even remains of the TRX-4 from when I bought the RTR... but I also didn't drop $650 on a bunch of stuff I didn't need.

The body is two JConcepts Lloyds stitched together, aluminum fenders/sliders, and a wooden bed.
Nice rig Dr!!! And I couldn’t agree more 6 x 6 is a whole other driving experience
Old 06-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatrick View Post
Although difficult to see in the pictures, the rear shock towers have one screw in the last frame hole.

Body is Gmade Bom.

Has anyone found a source for TRX4 rod ends with balls or should I just buy aftermarket (or used). Removing the factory installed ends is partially pulling out the threads.

Michael
Looking good, Michael, you’re almost there! But you will have to somehow extend the chassis rails to accommodate the rear shock towers, there’s no way around it. The cheapest solution is probably to find a set of takeoff TRX 4 rails on eBay which can be purchased for not much from folks that part out brand new rigs.

I got lazy and just coughed up the dough for a set of TRX6 rails.

For the control rods, a good alternative is to buy some 4mm all thread rods on Amazon and just make your own. Once you have them cut to length simply sleeve them with 4 mm ID tubing and lock everything together with standard 4 mm nuts and Loctite. Like so:

https://imgur.com/xQxbFN5

Last edited by JimInMiami; 07-15-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:11 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Body is Gmade Bom.

Michael
Any after market rod ends will work. I’ve had the same issue with the Traxxas rod ends getting stripped, I think they just put them on too tight at the factory. If you wanna save some $$$ and reuse the stock ones, a drop of Goop adhesive will secure them forever.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:50 PM   #33

FYI, Be careful if you choose to mix and match traxxas TRX4(6) suspension links and traxxas rod ends. The skinny and thick links use different ends. Although the internal threads are the same pitch and the outsides look identical, the inside dimensions are different resulting in the wrong overall length links. One more reason to DIY your own links, but I had already bought the bare traxxas links (Traxxas does not sell the links new with rod ends).

Here is my progress. This is a TRX4 frame.

Last edited by mpatrick; 07-14-2022 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:42 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Patrick, I like what you've done, what material did you use to create the shock mounts/frame extenders??
Old 07-15-2022, 07:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Patrick, I like what you've done, what material did you use to create the shock mounts/frame extenders??
1/8" x 1 1/2 aluminum

It will help serve to fill the fender gap also as I plan to slap a flatbed on it.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:50 PM   #36

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...924_161028.jpg
This thing has spools and a 2-speed trans. Played around on the patio but have not taken it out for a real crawl.

Originally I had the cab mounted lower on the sliders but the proportions seemed off to me, especially with a flatbed sitting on the rear. Raised the body and I have fabbed up some side rocker fillers. Flatbed will receive some mods to also give it some more depth.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:56 PM   #37

Old 09-25-2022, 04:49 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...924_161028.jpg
This thing has spools and a 2-speed trans. Played around on the patio but have not taken it out for a real crawl.

Originally I had the cab mounted lower on the sliders but the proportions seemed off to me, especially with a flatbed sitting on the rear. Raised the body and I have fabbed up some side rocker fillers. Flatbed will receive some mods to also give it some more depth.
Looking great, and nice adaptation of the Gmade BOM body!

TRX-4 to 6x6 Conversion Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new2rocks Guide to the TRX-4 new2rocks Traxxas TRX-4 78 12-09-2022 05:09 PM
Traxxas T-Lock TRA5697 for TRX-4 - Guide Ambis Traxxas TRX-4 27 10-23-2020 02:33 AM
TRX-4 6x6 Evilsage Multi Axle Rigs 4 08-09-2019 06:45 AM