Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Brand new xl5hv blinks then shuts off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brand new xl5hv blinks then shuts off

Bought a brand new xl5hv from jennys rc for my new trx-4 builders kit. Have a holmes 550 motor in it, went to set it up tonight and the esc will blink green twice, then red three times and keeps shutting off!!!
I took the motor and plugged it into my stock defender and it works perfect, plugged new steering servo into the defender and it works. Plugged xl5hv from the kit into my defender and it just blinks then shuts off
WHAT GIVES?
SuperDutyScaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2022, 09:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brand new xl5hv blinks then shuts off

is it electronic and dose it say traxxasss on it if you answered yes to both of those questions toss it its garbage
ok personal opinion aside is it hooked up to the reciver and is the reciver bound to the transmitter escs do wierd stuff when they dont have a signal from the radio also make sure your throtle trim is set to 0 the esc dosent arm if its seing a throtle signal at start up
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 08:12 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yes remote and receiver are fine. I swapped in my rooster crawler esc and the truck works perfect

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I just want to update this for anyone who has a problem in the future. Emailed jennysrc.com and told them the problem with the xl5hv I got from them. They sent me a replacement in ONE DAY! NOW THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE! Okay the new replacement did the exact thing the first one did, blink green the red and shut off...I refused to believe BOTH were bad so I called Traxxas tech support, the guy walked me through and said I have a burnt up esc. I DID NOT TELL HIM I HAD TWO BRAND NEW ONES
So tonight I was going through my complete service manual I printed off of Traxxas.com when I bought my Defender last year. Under programing it states fast flashing green then red indicates "over voltage" occurs when a fully charged nimh is plugged into a esc set to lipo mode. Follow steps to clear code....WELL I set the esc to nimh first, then followed the steps to clear ANY codes and guess what?! THE FREAKING ESC WORKS PERFECT

Old 04-30-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Good to hear, good job sorting it out.

I’ve had a couple xl5’s and never had any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #6

I spent an hour looking through the manual to figure out the XL5HV. Lol

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
BruceWaite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:46 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

What I can not stand is when I swap in a nimh battery for around my yard the esc automatically does the blink then shuts down and I have to reset it every time now.
Always run lipo but recently my free time has been limited so keeping a nimh charged for three or four days is no big deal till I'm ready to get out real fast to crawl.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:39 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler View Post
What I can not stand is when I swap in a nimh battery for around my yard the esc automatically does the blink then shuts down and I have to reset it every time now.
Always run lipo but recently my free time has been limited so keeping a nimh charged for three or four days is no big deal till I'm ready to get out real fast to crawl.

In lipo mode, the ESC reads the voltage, determines the number of cells, in the XL5's case, either 2 or three. LVC will be triggered if it thinks the battery has reached a nominal 3.2-3.4VDC per cell. This protects the lipo from damage/fire due to overdischarge.

One VERY big difference between lipo and NiMH is the voltage drop under load. A lipo will only drop 0.1 - 0.2 VDC when power is drawn from the pack; a NiMH will drop as much as 2VDC with the same amperage draw (this is dependent upon the quality of packs, C-rating, and the amperage pulled). So, when you run NiMH packs in lipo mode, the NiMH pack voltage will dip significantly when placed under a load, this dipped voltage is below the ESC's lipo cuttoff threshold, and the ESC will go into LVC protection, shutting down power to the motor.

This is not a uniquely Traxxas ESC issue, you will have this same issue if you run NiMH on a HW1080 ESC in lipo mode as well.

With that, I believe the XL5-HV to be an ok stock ESC. Its main problem is its pittifully weak 1A BEC. If you put an external BEC with it, the XL5 is, more or less rock solid. But, if you are buying an ESC for a build, or replacing an ESC, the XL5, in my opinion, is not a good choice because of its weak BEC, blinky-light programming and its price. For less money you can get a HW1080 that has a much stronger ESC (3A will work for most applications); and, the included field programmer makes programming and changes very easy.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:08 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
In lipo mode, the ESC reads the voltage, determines the number of cells, in the XL5's case, either 2 or three. LVC will be triggered if it thinks the battery has reached a nominal 3.2-3.4VDC per cell. This protects the lipo from damage/fire due to overdischarge.

One VERY big difference between lipo and NiMH is the voltage drop under load. A lipo will only drop 0.1 - 0.2 VDC when power is drawn from the pack; a NiMH will drop as much as 2VDC with the same amperage draw (this is dependent upon the quality of packs, C-rating, and the amperage pulled). So, when you run NiMH packs in lipo mode, the NiMH pack voltage will dip significantly when placed under a load, this dipped voltage is below the ESC's lipo cuttoff threshold, and the ESC will go into LVC protection, shutting down power to the motor.

This is not a uniquely Traxxas ESC issue, you will have this same issue if you run NiMH on a HW1080 ESC in lipo mode as well.

With that, I believe the XL5-HV to be an ok stock ESC. Its main problem is its pittifully weak 1A BEC. If you put an external BEC with it, the XL5 is, more or less rock solid. But, if you are buying an ESC for a build, or replacing an ESC, the XL5, in my opinion, is not a good choice because of its weak BEC, blinky-light programming and its price. For less money you can get a HW1080 that has a much stronger ESC (3A will work for most applications); and, the included field programmer makes programming and changes very easy.
I'm not running the trucks in lipo mode with the nimh. All I'm doing is hooking up the nimhtturning on the xl5hv and it automatically shuts off. So I have to clear code evertine I run the nimh, wich is extremely annoying. I don't understand why it won't stay on long enough for me to change battery settings before it shits down? In the past year I do not remember this happening but o well.
And at the moment I'm running six xl5hv, four were bought from jennysrc.com and I love them! Nice being able to swap with a button between driving modes.
And the bec I've looked into and probably gonna add the traxxas external ones to my defmder and new sport kit build 66 f100 build

Brand new xl5hv blinks then shuts off - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XL5HV ESC question Tossedman Traxxas TRX-4 15 05-22-2018 01:19 AM
HH Brxl ESC Just Blinks red sharkattack99 Electronics 4 05-06-2016 08:06 PM
One FXR fine, the other Blinks like crazy Krakker Electronics 6 01-08-2011 10:37 AM
Reciever Blinks Green then Nothing PlumCrazyPurple Newbie General 3 06-27-2009 08:06 PM