Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2022, 06:55 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
He, to like Apple as a company, truly believed that the iPhone & iOS would "dominate the mobile industry. I believed that, while the iPhone, and iOS, would be successful, Apple's belief that it would 'dominate' would be a failure...and, I was right. While iPhones & iPads are extremely successful in a business sense, Apple failed to dominate the mobile industry. Agreed?
Not even remotely agreed. Does Apple dominate the market? In the US, iOS is around 55% of the market. Globally, iOS is "just" 28-ish percent of the market-- until you consider that a single company makes all iOS phones: Apple. You know how many mfrs. produce Android devices? Over a thousand. So Android's 71-ish percent of the global smartphone market is diced up over a thousand ways. Back in 2105, there were 1,300 manufacturers making 24,000 different Android devices.

Meanwhile, Apple makes one out of every four smartphones sold. And just think-- the iPhone is #1 in China, despite home brands like Huawei and Xiaomi making up a huge chunk of the Android market.

And lastly, let's forget the devices-- the apps are where the money is made, and Apple pretty much dominates that. 63% of all app revenue is in the App Store, Apple holds 75% of the non-gaming app market, and subscription revenue? iOs, 78% of the market.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I knew what you meant, just giving you hard time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey...I have to have some fun (especially since my wife did such a great job of making my life 'hell')...and, like I said, it did get people to stay thinking. Despite Traxxas' "failure" to include a working bed, others are probably already trying to come up with ways to do it.

As for myself, I had already been in talks with a guy who does custom-length rails for 1/14 semis, as I have been wanting to do a hauler (with custom trailer) for some of my larger boats. Unfortunately, 2-3 weeks ago, sure to Postal Service changes (ie. HUGE rate hikes on larger & 'custom' packages, he's decided to only do custom rails for local pickup...and, he's on the opposite side of the country.

I've been trying to figure out "what to do"...and then, our of the blue, Traxxas drops the 'solution' right in my lap. Thing is, I never really wanted to do a Tamiya, or Tamiya-based, rig, as the front axles aren't powered. Sure, it's possible to custom-build a 6x6 (the Tamiya rigs are, essentially, 6x4...6 wheels, but only 4 'powered'), but doing so would have cost me $2,500 minimum. I also don't like the Tamiya 3spd trans, with its plastic gears. Traxxas just have me a MUCH easier, and considerably less-expensive to way to achieve my boat hauling goal.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goos3 View Post
If I read it right, what he means is as it appears in stock form, is a fail but the platform as a whole will thrive.
Bingo

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 06-15-2022, 08:24 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Default TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure?

Here’s your functions on the rollback.

Looks and works. Now for the kit that’s sure to come. I’m gonna watch Joes Truck Stop.

https://youtu.be/f5swA2d1ezg

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 09:09 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Here’s your functions on the rollback.

Looks and works. Now for the kit that’s sure to come. I’m gonna watch Joes Truck Stop.

https://youtu.be/f5swA2d1ezg

Hang up and Drive
I've seen those linear servos all over the place. I never thought they'd be strong enough to lift that much weight.

It's be cool to see Traxxas come out with an OEM, "Pro-Scale" tilt bed conversion kit in the future. Just for the ease of plug and play, specifically engineered for, set on the new truck.

If this new hauler configuration becomes popular enough though, I'm sure someone with try a small scale mass production kit.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 10:07 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

And here I was thinking I had made the first thread about this earlier today, oh well I went ahead and deleted it and figured I'd join the fun in here. I knew there would be few negative nancy's on the non tilting bed but really I think traxxas could have done that easily....and then charged an extra $300 for it. I think they were trying to build this within a certain price point and when you lay it out of what all it comes with vs what they would have to cut out to keep price the same I think they went the correct way. Much easier for a builder to add the tilt bed for a reasonable cost (and like someone already said they might offer a kit to do it later on) then it would be for someone to add the remote locking diffs, 2spd trans and light package. I personally wouldn't be against seeing the equivalent of a "TRX6 Hauler Sport" where maybe rear diffs are spools and front is open along with single speed trans and maybe no light kit, just because it would bring price down a bit and for some people they dont need those since they already have a build plan.

The rest of this was my original thread starter post so I just copied and pasted instead of re-writing it out.

Ok so how many of you already knew about this and\or purchased one? I had no clue this existed till I saw a youtube video for it and I can already picture multiple builds for it.

Hauler back with trx4 blazer cab cut to fit for old school chevy rollback look.
Stock cab with a military style box on back and military looking wheels\tires.
Mad max style build... the list goes on and on. I also want to get ahold of a set of the takeoff wheels\tires once they start popping up used.

If anyone has one please post a ton of pics of it so I can drool
350TacoZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:47 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

This rig makes sense. Traxxas had a deal with Snap-On to produce this rig exclusively for them. That deal has likely expired, and Traxxas has the this rig ready to produce with a different paint scheme. More or less, they are just making money off of a design already built for production. Because people were willing to shell out thousands for the Snap-On badged version of this really tells Traxxas there is interest and a market for it. But, like someone said, it is a niche market, inside of a niche market, and I do believe Traxxas understands that.

With that, this opens the door for 3rd party vendors to step up and make accessories for this thing. I can easily see someone making an aftermarket tilt conversion for it with a key-fob 2-ch remote. People have already done this with the Snap-On version.

My only real complaint is with its size, it is BIG. I would like it a lot more if it was more 1/12 - 1/14 scale, to fit in better with my King Hauler and construction equipment. But, I don't think that will keep me from getting one and tinkering with it.

JMHO...
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #28
RCC Addict

I like the large size despite the inherent drawbacks from the length... easily getting high-centered and poor departure angle. Those things wouldn't be a big deal because I really wouldn't intend to crawl with it... Rather I'd use it for a trail rig to transport my other rigs to crawling spots.

At least from first glance, the only things that I really don't like are: no actual grill and no clear windows. That's almost a deal breaker for me which is a shame because that cab is otherwise very visually appealing. I guess that's not a major thing assuming that it will be available at some point in a clear version. I would just hope that window masks would be included so that you could have actual windows.

Also kind of a shame that the vehicle and subsequently the bed is as narrow as it is. I understand it has to be that way proportionally/ aesthetically but I would only want to carry other trail trucks and crawlers around. I'm probably the minority here but even if I had any on-road cars, I can't see using this rig to transport them around. I know my trx4's and Capra are too wide to fit on the bed so seems I'd only be able to use it to transport my tf2, cr12, and scx24.

Awesome truck and I'd LOVE to drive it but not sure I could justify the cost due to some of the limitations and lackluster aesthetics regarding the windows and grill.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

The width is a good point for trail truck hauling since their other trx bodies are all about exact same width and IRL a big rig style rollback would be much wider. It's using the same axles as their trail truck so only way to get more width would be offset the wheels and then just make the bed wider. I would think for a car hauler you would probably want to lower this onto some smaller more street friendly tires and maybe delete the portals. I can also see maybe just using the cab and wheel\tire setup on the normal length 6x6 for a semi truck build to pull a trailer. I know the scale is off but how wide are normal tamiya trucks and such in comparison?
Old 06-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

This...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5swA2d1ezg
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 09:57 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Check Post #24.

Old 06-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #32

It looks like the chassis is long enough that you could fairly easily make it an 8x8 by removing the tool box and gas tanks to fit another TRX-6 middle axle in there. I look forward to seeing what creative bodies and rigs people make based on this chassis.
Rontalvos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 12:16 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

For me is a fail. I'm not going to put any vehicle (another off road rig or a onroad rig that I don't own) to carry it to the place I'm going to run, im just going to drive it there. I don't have rocks where I'm at, just woods trails and I can see it being a high center and getting caught on the ass end of the bed kinda experience which is just going to piss me off. I'm not sure what's a bigger fail this or Axial new special gladiator release.
Druxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 01:45 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontalvos View Post
It looks like the chassis is long enough that you could fairly easily make it an 8x8 by removing the tool box and gas tanks to fit another TRX-6 middle axle in there. I look forward to seeing what creative bodies and rigs people make based on this chassis.
I think it'd be pretty cool to see it turned into a 6x8. Either driven rear with un-driven front. Maybe as it is stock but with a functional drop axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druxus View Post
For me is a fail. I'm not going to put any vehicle (another off road rig or a onroad rig that I don't own) to carry it to the place I'm going to run, im just going to drive it there. I don't have rocks where I'm at, just woods trails and I can see it being a high center and getting caught on the ass end of the bed kinda experience which is just going to piss me off. I'm not sure what's a bigger fail this or Axial new special gladiator release.
IMO, the Axial is the bigger fail. By a long shot.

While I agree there's no practical purpose for this rig, I see it as a fail to meet your (and mine) specific use case. Especially without a functional roll back. I don't see as a failure overall. Your still getting an XL TRX6 for a bit more money that the standard 6.

The Axial on the other hand, amounts to a 10.3 with expensive shocks. Plenty of people are going to throw hyrax' on their 10.3 anyway. That's not a selling point. And for what? $400 extra?

Although I have no interest in this truck as an RTR, I've already got some ideas brewing for what I could do with those XL rails.

Last edited by smc-93; 06-25-2022 at 12:26 AM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:30 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Does anyone know the length of just the frame rails yet? I've seen few people mention in youtube the overall length of this but nothing about rails themselves. I have a large scale build that has been collection dust way too long and those rails might just make it easier to get it put together even though it will just be a 4x4 (I might have to look into 2 of the carrier bearing setups to get drive shaft all the way back to rearmost axle basically)
Old 06-25-2022, 06:55 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Doesn't give an exact number, but just over 30" according to the TRX website.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 10:02 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

I, for one, think it’s great Traxxas made this rig available and can see this being a great base for all kinds of whacky custom builds.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-6 Ultimate RC Hauler: Good Idea...or "Ultimate" Failure? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Ian "Low Crawl" Young build the ultimate AX-10 SSS-R! billet works Vendors Market 46 09-23-2010 12:56 PM