Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Traxxas TRX-4

Notices

Thread: Noob help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #1

Default Noob help

Hello,

I recently bought TRX4 2022 Bronco. It’s my first rc car. The guy at the HS told me I’d want to upgrade my motor. So I also bought the hobbywing brushless motor/esc all in one. I drove my truck once just to get a feel for it. Then I did the motor upgrade. Got some cool wheels and tires from rc4wd....

After I installed the motor I drove it around my living room to make sure everything was working fine. That’s when I noticed that now my tires (specifically my left front, and rear) kind of lock up. If I manually rotate with my hand, it’s like half rotation it gets tough, then it releases until it rotates around again. If I lock the axles it works fine, and there is no odd noises or clicks.

Now I’m a noob, so maybe this is normal I only noticed it because of slippery hard wood floor. But I wanted to ask, and what could possibly be the problem if there is one.
Cro55BoneZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Noob help

Did you install the new wheels?
Then you maybe tightened the wheel nut too far, the pin in the axle stub deformed and let the hex adapter go a bit too far towards the axle and now it binds to the axle case.
Or the adapter or pin is not centered anymore.

See if there's a little gap between axle case and hex adapter. Maybe sand the adapter down a bit.
amigaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've had a similar situation with a new axle purchase. After opening up the diff, I found a small piece of debris in the gears, and once I cleaned and re-lubed the diff, it was smooth as butter. Just adding a different perspective.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58_Willys View Post
I've had a similar situation with a new axle purchase. After opening up the diff, I found a small piece of debris in the gears, and once I cleaned and re-lubed the diff, it was smooth as butter. Just adding a different perspective.
thats were i would start there could also be a defect in one of the spider gears that just needs to be ran out
but most likly just needs cleaned out and reinstalled
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 08:13 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Which wheels?

amigaman is on the right track. If you've never opened up the axles, I'm inclined to think it's a wheel issue. If they have screws in the back, one may not be quite tight and may be catching on the portal. Not enough to stop the wheel dead, just enough to notice. With the diffs open, it will be noticeable, maybe not so much with the diff locked.

Take the wheel off, and look for wear/marks on the portal housing. Rotate the other wheel locked and unlocked - see if you can feel it catching without the wheel installed. If so, it's most definitely a wheel issue.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Mentioning that the wheels are from RC4WD is the red flag for me. Most of their wheels are NOT portal friendly.
My guess is that the inside rings on the beadlocks is binding on the portal boxes.

Less likely but still possible, motor mount screws in the wrong holes, so the gear mesh is too tight.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 11:48 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your response. I apologize for my inactivity, been busy week at work. Haven't been able to troubleshoot the truck yet. To answer a few of the questions, I bought the Dick Cepek scale wheels from RC4WD. I had these and M/T Baja Claws on my IRL truck so thought it would be cool. I did notice (without putting much thought) that the inner bead lock screws REFUSE to stay tight. In the very first run after installing them, 4-5 screws backed out and a few completely came out and I heard them bouncing across the ground. Second questions about the diff, I have opened up both front and rear, as I was told they don't come well lubed. So I opened them and replaced the covers with heavier brass covers and lubed. Everything looked fine and no binding within them. I also opened up the 2 front portals and lubed them checked them, again without noticing any binding or anything off. I will break into it more this weekend and hopefully clear the issue. Thank you all again!
Cro55BoneZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:43 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Blue threadlock (NOT Red) on the wheel screws is your friend.

None of the 8 TRX rigs that have come across my workbench have been dry in the axles. I hear that all the time, but I've yet to see one. Be aware the diff locking mechanism in the axle does not respond well to heavy lube, it works much better with just some light oil. Ring and pinion gears should be well greased however.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Noob help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
noob ? JDIRCC Newbie General 3 05-05-2014 07:04 PM
noob needs to know 74SHY Tools, and Procedures 3 05-16-2012 09:38 PM
noob help NickGood Newbie General 1 01-29-2011 08:06 AM
noob, with noob questions farmerstoy General Scale Talk 12 01-14-2010 06:28 PM
Noob Zoomad General Crawlers 3 03-10-2006 03:08 PM