Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > U4RC

Notices

Thread: U4RC Current Class Specs/Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 10:09 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: U4RC Current Class Specs/Rules

To tell u the truth I am even up for a little Mad Max style action---slamming each other off track, on board paintball action, maybe even some fire, and a tequila shot after every lap.
Mr Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
To tell u the truth I am even up for a little Mad Max style action---slamming each other off track, on board paintball action, maybe even some fire, and a tequila shot after every lap.
its going to hard to madmax with a 4lb car
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
I really feel that tire narrowing should be allowed. I realize that in Ultra4 the

only tire mods that can be made are siping and grooving BUT 1:1 tires are

generally available in differing widths...not true of RC tires. For us, the ideal

range is between 1.5" and 2" wide and the size depends on the weight of the rig

as well as track conditions. I think that locking drivers into factory widths will

only hurt the segment.
I am not aware of any off-road tires available it the same Dia. and a different width. I looked at Pitbull and BFG. The tires are available in different tire diameters and different wheel diameters. The width variation is only due to the finished products shrinkage from what I can tell.

As a mfg, you can certainly produce a narrower tire or 2 different widths, same dia. if you choose. There is no rule against that.

We are about to release the rules for the upcoming series in the next couple of days.
The tire specs are unchanged from the previous series, and will remain as they are written for 6 months unless this is addressed right now.

I invite you to PM me and we can discuss any changes necessary to accommodate a new tire so that it fits.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I think he is more wanting to see the rules open to cut and shuts. Esp in a 2.2 class - It is another one of the tuning options open to us as RCs. These toys dont act 100% like 1:1s - So what works for them is not 100% good for us.
And as for any rules - Would allowing cut and shuts in the 2.2 class allow one person to run away with the class bc of? I think its one of those things that adds to the "whole package" of the rig, not a single mod course winner.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I think he is more wanting to see the rules open to cut and shuts. Esp in a 2.2 class - It is another one of the tuning options open to us as RCs. These toys dont act 100% like 1:1s - So what works for them is not 100% good for us.
And as for any rules - Would allowing cut and shuts in the 2.2 class allow one person to run away with the class bc of? I think its one of those things that adds to the "whole package" of the rig, not a single mod course winner.
Would it be a huge advantage to start with 2 sets of expensive tires and then spend hours modding them? Probably not, like you point out. Then again, when a guy sees someone winning consistently with them, they are far more likely to THINK that is the key to winning, and spend the time and money, only to realize you are right. That might be a point where someone could say I'm done.

Can't happen with a production tire.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

That is going to happen in every hobby and sport without any help of the rules. Hell it happens 100x a day in here without any of us knowing.
But limiting the builders in one area when all the other are open doesnt really make sence to me. Thats just my 2cents from the builder side.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Definitely want to get into this U4RC stuff and had a question about the 1.9 trail/comp class. I want to run a brushed motor but not sure between a 27 or 35. I know a lot of people run brushless but thats not an option for me at the moment. ANy help would be appreciated! Can't wait to check out the Heritage Park course.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:53 AM   #28
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Definitely want to get into this U4RC stuff and had a question about the 1.9 trail/comp class. I want to run a brushed motor but not sure between a 27 or 35. I know a lot of people run brushless but thats not an option for me at the moment. ANy help would be appreciated! Can't wait to check out the Heritage Park course.
I started a new thread that'll cover motors and the such, try posting this question there and we'll see what we come up with.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

What is the NEED for cut and shut? If enough people want it, we will change the rules to allow it. We don't see a need, and just being creative isn't what we are after. Way back in the beginning comp days, there was indeed the need to cut and shut since nobody was making production tires for crawlers yet. That is no longer the case.

This is SCALE desert racing. With a huge emphasis on scale appearing vehicles and terrain. So yes, simply because it is not done in the 1:1 world is a valid argument against regardless of how differently a 1:1 and R/C respond.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
Jerry's RC Garage

If we are talking about cut-n-shut tires I want to see the tires before I agree put them in the rules. Show us what you talking about.
jerry2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #31
www.ottsix.com

1:1 tires are offered in differing widths in conjunction with differing diameters, something that can only be
achieved in the RC world with the cut-n-shut method. The reason you don't see multiple sizes within each segment (2.2, 1.9, etc) is because the molds cost 12K to 20K and on top of that, another 10K in inventory, so it's just not financially feasible to do so. In lieu of these facts, I strongly feel it would be best to allow drivers to make the alterations needed to fit their driving style, truck design, and track conditions. (outside of that, all other Ulta4 tire rules would apply)
Old 03-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I know I'm kinda an outsider (as I have never raced U4rc... yet)

I personally really like the tire limitation. Otherwise where do you draw the line? If you allow people to build their own tires (cut and shut), why wouldn't you allow someone to shave their sidewalls, etc, etc etc. The rigs will start to drift to the extreme performance side of things and then the scale looks start to slowly get pushed out the door and before long we are all driving Shafty Comp rigs with carbon fiber this and that (not saying carbons not cool but on a "scale" car it should be used in a "scale" fashion IMO) Just my thoughts.

Remember when comp rigs used to look like jeeps and what not??
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #33
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:
1:1 tires are offered in differing widths in conjunction with differing diameters, something that can only be
achieved in the RC world with the cut-n-shut method. The reason you don't see multiple sizes within each segment (2.2, 1.9, etc) is because the molds cost 12K to 20K and on top of that, another 10K in inventory, so it's just not financially feasible to do so. In lieu of these facts, I strongly feel it would be best to allow drivers to make the alterations needed to fit their driving style, truck design, and track conditions. (outside of that, all other Ulta4 tire rules would apply)
In the 1:1 world I have never seen someone cut up a tire because they like the sidewall of another tire and then glue it back together. Like I said I want to see the tire. If it looks scale then it might get approved, but without seeing how you are going to cut-n-shut the tires then my answer is not allowed.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post

I personally really like the tire limitation. Otherwise where do you draw the line? If you allow people to build their own tires (cut and shut), why wouldn't you allow someone to shave their sidewalls, etc, etc etc. The rigs will start to drift to the extreme performance side of things and then the scale looks start to slowly get pushed out the door and before long we are all driving Shafty Comp rigs with carbon fiber this and that (not saying carbons not cool but on a "scale" car it should be used in a "scale" fashion IMO) Just my thoughts.

All other rules that were brought over from Ultra4 would still be in place
Old 03-18-2014, 03:23 PM   #35
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry2575 View Post
In the 1:1 world I have never seen someone cut up a tire because they like the sidewall of another tire and then glue it back together. Like I said I want to see the tire. If it looks scale then it might get approved, but without seeing how you are going to cut-n-shut the tires then my answer is not allowed.
The rule could easily address this: "each cut-n-shut from single tire only"
Old 03-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #36
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:
The rule could easily address this: "each cut-n-shut from single tire only"
So you are planning on taking a piece out of the middle then gluing it back together. So it would be a skinnier tire. Never heard of that being at 1:1 race. Like I said before I want to see it.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I could care less about someone wanting to chop up a set of tires to make them wider or narrower. But, I sure hope that they never allow the pin tires in the events. Because of the "scale" nature of the U4RC.com events they just don't fit.
Most of the cut and shut tire jobs I have seen are pin type tires, like the voodoos you have in your avatar pic and sig. So it really shouldn't be much of an issue.
indysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry2575 View Post
So you are planning on taking a piece out of the middle then gluing it back together. So it would be a skinnier tire. Never heard of that being at 1:1 race. Like I said before I want to see it.
Cut-n-shut seems to be the term for chopping up a tire or tires and gluing them back together to make the width/height/etc what you want it to be.
indysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #39
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysand View Post
I could care less about someone wanting to chop up a set of tires to make them wider or narrower. But, I sure hope that they never allow the pin tires in the events. Because of the "scale" nature of the U4RC.com events they just don't fit.
Most of the cut and shut tire jobs I have seen are pin type tires, like the voodoos you have in your avatar pic and sig. So it really shouldn't be much of an issue.
Pin tires will never be allowed at U4rc race
Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaZ-T View Post

I completely agree Naz. Being behind the launch of this whole U4RC thing I can say right now that my vision (along with my partners)was that this be "as scale as possible" style racing. It's in the opening paragraph of the U4RC rules. I don't think people remember that comp crawling used to have much more realistic rigs and then the rules slowly got changed enough that now they look like "moon buggies". Not slamming comp rigs cuz I got me one of them "moon buggies". It's just a reality of where that scene went. We are trying to avoid that.

That being said, we are not trying to exclude any one tire manufacture. We are willing to entertain any scenario with tires. We want as many facets off r/c rock racing to be included as possible. If there is enough interest in (intended) cut-n-shut type tires, we will make an effort to find them a place at U4RC races. In perliminary talks on this subject, we feel that there may be a place for these tires in an OPEN type class that would be light on the "SCALE" factor.

We have had requests to run classes for short course trucks, monster trucks, pan track cars, summits etc. None of these rigs fit the bill for U4RC and were rejected. There definitley may be a place for those rigs rock racing but not with the program we are running at this point.

A visit from the 801rc guys would be awesome. You guys definitley have some sweet Ultra4rc rigs up there. And some great endurance events.

Last edited by axelsnapr; 03-18-2014 at 05:38 PM.
axelsnapr is offline   Reply With Quote

U4RC Current Class Specs/Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points Locked Up Scale Comp Rules 323 01-26-2011 09:10 PM
Sportsman Class rules? my proj. specs, will it be legal? crazyorigin Newbie General 2 06-14-2010 12:55 PM