Notices

Thread: U4RC Current Class Specs/Rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: U4RC Current Class Specs/Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelsnapr View Post
I completely agree Naz. Being behind the launch of this whole U4RC thing I can say right now that my vision (along with my partners)was that this be "as scale as possible" style racing. It's in the opening paragraph of the U4RC rules. I don't think people remember that comp crawling used to have much more realistic rigs and then the rules slowly got changed enough that now they look like "moon buggies". Not slamming comp rigs cuz I got me one of them "moon buggies". It's just a reality of where that scene went. We are trying to avoid that.

That being said, we are not trying to exclude any one tire manufacture. We are willing to entertain any scenario with tires. We want as many facets off r/c rock racing to be included as possible. If there is enough interest in (intended) cut-n-shut type tires, we will make an effort to find them a place at U4RC races. In perliminary talks on this subject, we feel that there may be a place for these tires in an OPEN type class that would be light on the "SCALE" factor.

We have had requests to run classes for short course trucks, monster trucks, pan track cars, summits etc. None of these rigs fit the bill for U4RC and were rejected. There definitley may be a place for those rigs rock racing but not with the program we are running at this point.

A visit from the 801rc guys would be awesome. You guys definitley have some sweet Ultra4rc rigs up there. And some great endurance events.
I agree completely keep it scale....no rovers, sedonas, pin's, etc.

Run an "open" class I want to try out my new Twin Hammers with MM and 12s power!
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

I understand keeping it scale - that's where using scale tires come in. Cut and shut to help a rig look and preform better in no way makes it look less scale.
But that's my 2cents in the grand design.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #43
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I understand keeping it scale - that's where using scale tires come in. Cut and shut to help a rig look and preform better in no way makes it look less scale.
But that's my 2cents in the grand design.
100% agree
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #44
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry2575 View Post
So you are planning on taking a piece out of the middle then gluing it back together. So it would be a skinnier tire. Never heard of that being at 1:1 race. Like I said before I want to see it.
It doesn't happen because it doesn't need to...if you like your 1:1 tire but want a different size, you simply go out and buy another size. We don't have this option in the RC world so that's where the cut-n-shut comes into play for us.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #45
Jerry's RC Garage

I heard you want to use a scale tire to do the cut-n- shut. I want to see after the cut-n-shut it will make the deciding factor. If you worried about pming then I will give you my email or cell phone number. We are trying to get it decided before releasing the new rules for next series. Just a hint the winter series ends Saturday
jerry2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I'm not trying to be rude my any means but I don't know why a pm is needed.
But there is cut and shut scale tires across this board.
At the same time - I'm not local to you guys and don't get to come race every weekend so it's just my 2cents.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
if you like your 1:1 tire but want a different size, you simply go out and buy another size.
Or in this case, go out and buy a set of tires that is two to three times the cost of stock.

I'll pass.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:42 PM   #48
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I'm not trying to be rude my any means but I don't know why a pm is needed. But there is cut and shut scale tires across this board. At the same time - I'm not local to you guys and don't get to come race every weekend so it's just my 2cents.
I know you cannot use them in a recon g6 or a u4rc race. If you can use them in a scale comp then it is not very scale. Only time I have seen them used is in a comp and u4rc isn't a comp
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

So we should allow cut and shut tires, even though that is something we disagree with just because a couple guys who have yet race our series say we are stifling competition?

Where are the 100% of people that agree with you two?
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #50
www.ottsix.com

Well, I've said everything I wanted to say...I've asked others to chime in...if they do, they do, if not, then oh well.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #51
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
I heard you want to use a scale tire to do the cut-n- shut. I want to see after the cut-n-shut it will make the deciding factor. If you worried about pming then I will give you my email or cell phone number. We are trying to get it decided before releasing the new rules for next series. Just a hint the winter series ends Saturday
post 29 narrowed pits....they look scale to me

Ottsix Scale Tire 1.9 or 2.2
Old 03-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #52
RCC Addict

This might be a stupid question, I've never run them. Is cut and shut done to any tire or are they only done on pin type tires.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #53
www.ottsix.com

They can be done with any tire
Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #54
Jerry's RC Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
post 29 narrowed pits....they look scale to me

Ottsix Scale Tire 1.9 or 2.2
I am very sorry you think those look scale. first I have never seen a tire with no writing on the sidewall. And second look at the inner side wall of the rear tire that looks scale to you, cmon. There are big lugs on the side wall. Also in the thread you mention falken and mud trashers which one did you choose. i will consider change it for the 2.2 unlimited class but that is it.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #55
www.ottsix.com

Quote:
I am very sorry you think those look scale. first I have never seen a tire with no writing on the sidewall. And second look at the inner side wall of the rear tire that looks scale to you, cmon. There are big lugs on the side wall. Also in the thread you mention falken and mud trashers which one did you choose. i will consider change it for the 2.2 unlimited class but that is it.
It's the tread pattern that looks scale, I don't know what the lugs on the sidewalls are all about, but obviously, that would be outside of the rules to do that.

we didn't use either one of those tires for our design concept.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #56
www.ottsix.com

A 2.2 unlimited class would be very cool
Old 03-19-2014, 12:13 AM   #57
RCC Addict

My thoughts, and just loose ones.

1.9 Trail

1.9 comp

Stay the same....

2.2 comp. Should be all plastic type cage rigs. And a weight limit and drivers.

2.2 Trophy. Should be all steel cages and look scale. And a weight limit and drivers.

Forget!!! the unlimited class, that is just going to stir up stuff.

This U4RC thing was started to be a scaled down version of the 1.1 races. Cut up chassis and rigs that don't look like 1.1's shouldn't be out there.

And I feel that rigs that are capable of flipping their self's over if their on their tops with out the help of a turn Marshall should not be racing. I have never seen a 1.1 buggy do that and it's not fair to the other racers. When the tires are taller than the side of a rig...there's a problem.

That's my .2 cents
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:27 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Just to stir the pot.
Production tires only (no mods at all. No siping no grovinv, no shaving) I'd almost go as far as saying licensed tires only. If it's not produced 1:1 it's not legal. Just thinking out loud -)

Personally I think protecting the scaleness should be top priority.
Look at almost all forms of R/C and everybody runs what works not what looks scale. Example: Ask yourself do you like the look of cab forward buggy bodies? Do you like the look of your comp rig? Why are you running a "scale" R/C??

Let the RACING be the deciding factor.

If you seek all out performance then that's fine. (Comp crawling has you covered)

At the local track I race an EXO Terra Buggy, not because it's the fastest or the best performing. I run an EXO because it looks the best. And when my car hits the track you can bet every kid in the stands is watching MY car. And I am rewarded every time a young kid comes up and says "your car looks awesome. I hope you win". That is the beats coming across the finish line in 1st any day

Once again I'm an outsider so don't take my post too seriously. But I've seen almost every from of competition R/C suffer from the constant push for performance.
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:47 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Never meant to stir this big of a debate.
But I will ask - if the scale look of a tire is so bothering why isn't tranny-tcase combo mandatory? Is cage to helmet height measured? Drivers are mandatory - what about a rad, fuel cell, safety lights....
Scale is all in the eye of the beholder guys and anyone can be just as happy about their cut and shuts as the next guy is about his scale welded shock mounts.

Again - the only reason I posted anything was bc I believe cut and shuts is a valuable tuning tool and I have seen plenty of Big scale 2.2s made smaller and they look better. No pin tires no 8in monster tires (even though I have seen 1:1s right themselves-YouTube).
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 AM   #60
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
What is the NEED for cut and shut?
I wasn't going to comment since I'm no where near the track you guys run, but I really have to agree with Rockpiledriver on this one. Why is there a need for cut and shuts?

Not everyone is a tire guru, and can pull off doing a respectable cut and shut, but if the perception is that it's required in order to be competitive, it could turn people off before they even get started. By having a "No Mod" rule in place, the issue is avoided before it even begins.

Take a read through some of the "Declining Interest in Comp" threads here on RCC, and take your cues from there.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote

U4RC Current Class Specs/Rules - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points Locked Up Scale Comp Rules 323 01-26-2011 09:10 PM
Sportsman Class rules? my proj. specs, will it be legal? crazyorigin Newbie General 2 06-14-2010 12:55 PM