Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > U4RC

Notices

Thread: noob question about axles, suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default noob question about axles, suspension

so after finding out about U4RC, I thought it was pretty cool and want in

I was told by some guys at a swap meet this last weekend (they were wearing g6 shirts and said they ran ultra4 also), that there was no way I could be competitive building something off of what I have, a crawler king.
I was specifically told by one guy, that I could put $1k into mine, and he would ba able to beat me with a stock wraith.

Is there no way to change out parts on it and still have fun out there, or am i just gonna be extra traction in the rocks for the other guys?

EDIT: I put noob in the title to refer to rock racing/crawling. I've been involved in R/C for around 25 years, but mostly 2wd/4wd buggy. I was into 1:1 crawling for years until about 2006.

Last edited by makya; 02-24-2014 at 03:06 PM.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: noob question about axles, suspension

Well the crawler king is not the best starting point for a U4RC rig. Can it be done, definitely, is it worth it, in my opinion no. I think you will have more time and money in it and not much crawler king left, by the time you make it competitive you could have just bought something else. If you're just looking to have fun, as far as I see it conforms to all the rules, go give it a throw run it tell you can build or purchase something else.
Sr.Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thanks.

although really, aren't we building what works anyway? It's kind of like having a 90's toyota, you start out with a decent truck for light wheeling, fire roads, camping. Then you start hitting trails, you lift it get bigger tires. Then you start breaking axles so you get a straight axle, then you go bigger and start breaking birfields, ujoints, transfer cases, etc,etc,etc... and improving. by improving, I mean $$$$$ :laughing:

after all, what fun is it if you just bought it out of the box and didn't have to work on it?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #4

At the last U4RC race I got 4th place in 2.2 Trophy with Wheely King/Crawler King axles connected to a Traxxas Summit tranny and a home built chassis. The Crawler King axles are not bad after upgrading the knuckes and C's and they are much cheaper then most other axles available.
If you enjoy building then keep the Crawler King axles, get a few upgrades and a tranny and start bending up some metal, you can always upgrade as you go. If you don't want to build it then get a wraith and just buy upgrades as you need/want them.

By the way, I have less $$$ in my rig then the cost of a stock wraith. I do however have a lot of time put into building parts though.
MrTheRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thats right MrRed, your rig was really hooking up at the last race bro, it looks like you might need to "borrow" those lipos again! lol

I think you could use the axles...use your imagination and some torches for braisin'...good luck!
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the input Guys.

I may just have to break out the wire feed and see what I can do.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTheRed View Post
At the last U4RC race I got 4th place in 2.2 Trophy with Wheely King/Crawler King axles connected to a Traxxas Summit tranny and a home built chassis. .
And I got 5th with AR60's and only 3 wheels turning.

Will WK axles work? Yes

Are they the good choice? NO!!!!!!!

U4RC racing is really hard on parts. As the original manufacturer of WK upgrades I can say they are not up to the task. MTR is not your average tinkerer guy, he has been at this for YEARS, so unless you want to cuss and and be frustrated, stop now!

Ask K4L his opinion on the WK axles. He attempted to compete with them all last series, never finished a race until he swapped to AR60's
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
Ask K4L his opinion on the WK axles. He attempted to compete with them all last series, never finished a race until he swapped to AR60's
Good for a scaler or a mild shafty but NO BEUNO for U4RC!
I tried everything on the market to beef them up to work in our U4RC racing series, NOTHING WORKED, I mean EVERYTHING
I know MTR uses them with really no problem, for now..haha, BUT.. I DRIVE THE shit out of my rig when I race U4RC (Its the only way to have fun )
I also run a stronger brushless 4 pole motor and on 3s, I NEED GOOD AXLES and Axial Racing Wraith axles are the best right now!
The AR60's are the way to go if you really want to race with no issues man

Last edited by KRAWLR4life; 02-26-2014 at 11:59 AM.
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAWLR4life View Post
Good for a scaler or a mild shafty but NO BEUNO for U4RC!
I tried everything on the market to beef them up to work in our U4RC racing series, NOTHING WORKED, I mean EVERYTHING
I know MTR uses them with really no problem, for now..haha, BUT.. I DRIVE THE shit out of my rig when I race U4RC (Its the only way to have fun )
I also run a stronger brushless 4 pole motor and on 3s, I NEED GOOD AXLES and Axial Racing Wraith axles are the best right now!
The AR60's are the way to go if you really want to race with no issues man
thanks!

I'm a trophy husband for the time being, so my funds are limited. I may build off of the axles I have, and swap them out when I can afford it. I just don't like the WK setup, but I don't see being able to afford 60's right now.

God, this is like 1:1 wheeling all over again!!!!

noob question about axles, suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
???AXLES and Suspension??? K1llerRC General Scale Talk 11 02-10-2012 08:16 AM
Ultimate Noob Suspension question scottgir Newbie General 0 06-16-2011 08:49 AM
noob suspension help whiteycooper Redcat Crawlers 5 09-08-2010 05:01 PM
Hot Racing Axles Question (Noob) Jacko General Crawlers 10 02-20-2009 03:38 PM
dumb noob question about axles jvw1979 Newbie General 3 07-20-2006 04:43 AM