Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > U4RC

Notices

Thread: Working on U4 Trophy type build, got a few questions first...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Working on U4 Trophy type build, got a few questions first...

Alright guys, piling parts for a U4 build (though there are no tracks around to race on) and have a few questions.

1.) What size Lipos are you guys running in these larger 2.2 based rigs. I've got a few 4000 and 5000MAH 2 and 3s packs laying around, but not sure if I need a battery this large. While this rig will most likely never get raced, I would like it to be capable if the opportunity arises.

2.) Chassis materials...really trying to stay around 8-9 lbs with a Slash 4x4 front diff setup, a rear Wraith axle, and Wraith transmission. Can I get a decently light rig using solid rod for the chassis, and plate for the skid? Had planned on 3/16" rod for the majority of the "structural" parts of the cage, 1/8" rod for triangulation and reinforcement, and 1/16" plate for the skid, body tabs, and various other brackets and gussets. I plan on tacking the chassis with the MIG, then brazing after knocking down the welds. If you guys have any input on chassis materials please share!

3.) ESC types, profiles, and whatnot...I plan on running the VXL system from my Slash for the time being, which is not equipped with a drag brake or instant reverse. Is this going to be ok for a rock race type rig? I assume the lack of really technical "crawling" negates the need for these functions?

4.) Weight bias...where do I want it? Nose heavy, tail heavy? Heavier on the side that lifts under torque?

Drawing inspiration heavily from DMG Death Rattle Series of KOH type cars on this rig. Really like the simplistic and minimal look in the tube work, and should keep the weight down if I use solid rod. Shooting for something with a little more of a generic "pickup truck" type look, and looking for a donor for the lexan front clip now. When this gets under way you'll be seeing my build in the 2.2 section!

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-21-2014 at 12:12 AM.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Working on U4 Trophy type build, got a few questions first...

I'll try to answer.

1. As big as you can fit for your needs.

2. Not likely with rod and plate. Even solid rod chassis' with very few tubes, and any plate, are on the heavy side. 3/16th stainless is the ticket if you can find for a reasonable price.

3. Yes and no. I tried a VXL and burned it up during my second heat race. It will work but not well. No drag brake at all is not good on climbs. Instant reverse is a must on the track but, of course that is a race so every second counts.

4. wherever it balances the rig over the big jumps. Mine is pretty centered. Slightly forward if at all.

Keep un-sprung weight light. This will lessen axle part and driveline breakage.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I can get stainless tube, and at a fairly good price. How hard is it to braze though, or would silver-soldering be a better route? I lack a TIG welder, and only have basic brazing equipment as it is...

BTW, thank you for the reply. Sitting here with a half torn-down Slash Ultimate and the remains of my Wraith drooling. Realistically, if I hit up Ebay for some extra Slash steering components, another front bulkhead and shock tower, and rear lockouts and shafts for the other Wraith axle I have the starts of two rigs. Who knows, I may have a two-fer build coming on???
Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

A mig works perfectly on the stainless.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks like most of the questions were answered so I will add in some info. Swaybars. I would set up the rig to have the option of running front and rear swaybars. There are several factors whether or not you would run both at the same time or just one or the other. Kinda depends on the type of course/track too. I have been playing around with rear only and front and rear.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Looks like most of the questions were answered so I will add in some info. Swaybars. I would set up the rig to have the option of running front and rear swaybars. There are several factors whether or not you would run both at the same time or just one or the other. Kinda depends on the type of course/track too. I have been playing around with rear only and front and rear.
Thanks for the input. I actually have 4 different swaybars I can use to tune the front (Slash Ultimate LCG came with them), and I have Wraith swaybars on the way for the rear. If that's not enough, I have enough music wire to come up with a life-time's worth of swaybars if needed.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
A mig works perfectly on the stainless.
Care to share a little insight on the process? Can I use standard mild steel wire and shielding gas?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Thanks for the input. I actually have 4 different swaybars I can use to tune the front (Slash Ultimate LCG came with them), and I have Wraith swaybars on the way for the rear. If that's not enough, I have enough music wire to come up with a life-time's worth of swaybars if needed.
Cool, I was mainly mentioning that if you are going to do it all custom, then definitely have the front and rear sway bar chassis mounts integrated in. Sounds like you are on it!

I run dual sway bars on my Twin Hammers as well but it's 7.25lbs and really works well on the rocks and high speed stuff. The dual sway bar (lightest bars) are proving to work good both front and rear on my 8.4lbs 2.2 wraith rig.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

Working on U4 Trophy type build, got a few questions first... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scale Trophy Truck Build 92MNstanger Non Crawler RC's 36 06-04-2014 07:09 PM
SC trophy truck build 62 bugzilla Non Crawler RC's 8 09-02-2010 08:01 AM
pre runner type build smokinubyrc Chit Chat 19 08-05-2007 10:03 PM
Trophy truck custom build Skippy 2.2 Scale Rigs 61 03-29-2007 07:39 PM
Newbie with Questions on type of RC truck to buy. Eviltwin_52s Newbie General 6 07-03-2006 06:19 PM