Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > U4RC

Notices

Thread: U4RC shock tuning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default U4RC shock tuning?

I know there are some companies out there making special shock pistons to change dampening but with the recent rise in popularity for U4 style RC's, it would be cool if more companies jumped on the shock tuning bandwagon. I think RPM and MIP are on the right track being able to adjust compression and rebound separately. MIPs are especially cool with the shim stacks they offer. There are almost infinite possibilities when it comes to shock tuning and I'm sure many have seen cyconxc on Instagram or YouTube with his scale trophy truck. He's gone through the shock tuning process and it actually handles jumps and whoops like a real truck. Would be sweet to get this technology started for crawlers/rock racers

Do G Made piggybacks work well enough for our purposes? I don't know much about them but they might be what I'm looking for...
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: U4RC shock tuning?

Shock tuning is difficult indeed, there is not a happy medium because of the shock size. You can take the jumps or do the whoops, a single small shock just won't give you both worlds. Yes you can tune compression or rebound, but it stays linear. You just can't make the bottom of the stroke ramp up like you can with a bypass setup or a bump stop like the 1:1s. Different spring rates and oils, it takes time, a lot of time. I build scale class 1 buggies, shock tuning has been anything but fun, and Cycon and I have talked about that. I haven't built a rock racer YET, but one may be in the works depending on what U4RC says regarding the rules and if I can run my concept in Trophy 2.2 class versus the run what you brung deal. The latter may be the better class in the long haul, we'll see where that goes. I really liked the concept of the G Made piggys, adjust pack with an allen wrench. Everything I've read says they leak like crazy, so do your research. It would be nice to adjust them on the rez, stiffer or softer. Hot racing used to make caps that do the same thing, I should have snapped them up when I saw them, just didn't want red anno. at the time. They were $60 just for the caps. If you get them, please give a review.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: U4RC shock tuning?

If you have ever raced at an rc track you know how important shock tuning is and changing gears with the track to. If you take your u4 to the local indoor track and just make it faster and handle better there it will also do better on a u4 course imo.
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote

U4RC shock tuning? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anyone done any shock tuning yet ? mushroom281 Axial Yeti XL 8 12-05-2014 12:33 PM
Shock tuning ? JDIRCC Axial Wraith 4 03-23-2014 11:06 AM
So much give and take...Shock tuning 05Fronty4x Axial Wraith 3 05-16-2013 04:10 PM
Shock Tuning BCSteel Newbie General 0 02-16-2013 08:25 AM
shock tuning my lcc? EDGE Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 02-24-2010 01:52 PM