Thread: Desert/Baja Style Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Desert/Baja Style Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
You won't be going 50 mph for long!!! .
Not on 2 acers for sure on the lake bed its easy to hold those speeds as long as your on the lake bed it might as well be pavement there so flat and smooth
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

When I get my yati xl up and running on 6s again I'll post up some speed runs out on the lake bed
Old 02-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #23
RCC Addict

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiPmLlOLc0 (phone won't let me embed)
Check out v2 testing as well that should follow this video. Its in real time, again 30's mph, fair resolution. All this footage shot in Menifee.
Imagine this in FPV. The v1 car is geared for mid 30's. Was geared taller before, would do low 40's. Most of the time the rubber stays down in the 30 range, regardless of what you drive through. I had to be on top of my game going 40 thru the same stuff, 50/50 success rate. This is where good judgement comes in. 6s would be detrimental to the cause here, way too fast.
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Sweet now imagne doing that for 50 miles the only way to keep those speeds for any lengh in time is with a chase rig or else your just running on a track like any other race I bet on the salt flats on the lake bed you could get abit more speed and the sands dunes and rock trails would be a lot slower
Old 02-19-2017, 04:58 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Click the link to view

https://flic.kr/p/PHtUiV
2016-7-22-12-35-1 by matt collins, on Flickr

From this perspective. Camera mounted as a light bar. This is what I'm talking about.

Last edited by MAC FAB; 02-21-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:33 PM   #26

Hi guys I just came upon this thread by chance. Im located in Socal also and would be interested in this. I did the KOH 5k run last m weekend with my scx10. Im almost done building a tt truck as well. Ill check back here for updates or if any help is needed in planning this let me know. Standing on top of a toyhauler works well to follow rigs in the desert as well.
rusty-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Awesome rusty. Slash or Score TT/ baja rey sized? Any of U4 guys want to take part? Personally, I'd like to see FPV, like my brief clip above. The rv roof would be good, just wouldn't want to damage it or have someone fall off of it!!! The 5k thing sounded like fun, just a little difficult on a go fast/er course trying to keep up, right?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

I missed the whole koh rc runs I was helping to load my friends trailer and replacing my timing belt on my 1:1 I got there about 30 min late I couldn't do the 5k even if I wanted I can't run so having a chase rig is the only way I could rc over a large distance
Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #29
RCC Addict

No running is why I think fpv is the ticket. No body chasing their rig, falling down and breaking arms.... Liability concerns you know. I haven't had time to work on this stuff lately, sadly. Haven't touched my tow rig build, trailer or the class 5 unlimited baja bug I'm building. Then my U4 rig. Arrrgh. Soon enough though. I need to follow up on Rich's fpv stuff and see if he's got some run footage for me. My buddy Jay can 3d print the camera housings for the roof (best perspective but most subject to damage) for protection, looking like a covered light bar using a regular fpv camera. FCC licensing is the only other problem, ham radio operating permit required to be totally legit.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #30

My rig Im building is 10th scale. 14 inch wheel base. Im using the new proline raptor body for the yeti score truck.
I should be done with it in a few weeks. Im waiting on parts to come in and still fabricating things.
The truck Im replicating is Andy Mcmillins 2017 Raptor TT.
Im trying to build it scale. I even bought an 1/8th scale plastic model engine to put in it.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #31

Mounting the camera in the location of the drivers head I think is where it should go. Have a minimum weight of lets say 10lbs and call it run what you brung. Plot out a coarse with bright markers walk the coarse and do a true race. How would we turn marshal? Be cool to get some drone video going of the race from the air to capture it.

Last edited by rusty-racing; 02-26-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty-racing View Post
My rig Im building is 10th scale. 14 inch wheel base. Im using the new proline raptor body for the yeti score truck.
I should be done with it in a few weeks. Im waiting on parts to come in and still fabricating things.
The truck Im replicating is Andy Mcmillins 2017 Raptor TT.
Im trying to build it scale. I even bought an 1/8th scale plastic model engine to put in it.
Nice. Metal concepts rear end? 2x or 4x? You going to race this one or is it more of a static model/show truck like most of them seem to end up?

Camera at the driver's head would be better at the front of the windshield area. Footage I've seen shot from there will enable about 20 mph of speed with pucker factor. That inch or so higher will enable 30's if you dare. I will have batteries in the cab so that window spot is hard for me.

This thread has had a lot of traffic from the view count. Anyone else care to put in .02? Ideas,concepts.....????
Old 02-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #33

Its 2wd. Im building mine losi based. So Im running a 22sct 2.0 front end with a baja rey rear axle with metal concepts 6 inch trailing arms and center carrier. A scte 3.0 center diff. Wish I could post pics of it. Chassis all done. Made all my panels yesterday during the Daytona 500. But Ill be leaving Tomrrow to head out to the mint 400 so work will continue next week when some parts come in.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #34

Oh Ill be running/racing the crap out of it. But Im going as scale as possible with it.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #35
RCC Addict

rusty-racing, check rc shortcourse in the desert racing section Desert Off-Road General Tech - General Desert Racing at RCShortCourse.com for a couple scaled TT's. Dommi and JHEP, some great detail. 3lv1src has done a few on IG, see the Brenthel truck, tenth_scale_lifestyle, also see cycon's latest rig. I haven't seen anyone do McMillin's truck yet. Racer or a Jimco?

Back to the topic- FPV guy had to order some new batteries for his stuff, so some more video footage is yet to come for the driver's view perspective. He's a Slash guy. Seems there is a growing interest in this with the sc crowd..... All the above mentioned builders are game for races, in the traditional rc vision format. As a matter of fact, there are somewhere near 40 scratch build TT guys wanting to take part in that. Heck, Justin (Cyconxc) will travel from Atlanta, he just needs dates. Bringing other vehicle classes to the table should make this a popular format for racing. A true KOH event from this perspective would be off the hook IMHO.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

A few questions if this is a fpv perspective race how would the controler and camera signals get to the video monitor and the rig and or how far dose the signal traval and other question is how do you right a rolled rig i still think if your gona call it koh style that the race should mimic the real race on the same terrain the full size rigs run open desert and rock trails in johnson valley
Old 02-27-2017, 06:29 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Signal is transmitted from the rig just like drone racers. Fpv signal should travel way farther than the car range. (That is already figured out) I think fpv to enable the race course to take up a smaller area, more turns, eliminating tx/rx issues with vehicle signal range. It will keep speeds down. Run out of gas?? Another problem. Work out pits. You roll over, it may take a while to get right side up, just like real life. Again, fpv, smaller course so marshals are possible. However, you flip and land upside down, a time penalty would be established against you. FPV levels the field as far as skills go. No team (pick your brand) ringers to come out and clean up. As far as a KOH style race, have it in similar terrain for sure. The same for a desert deal. There has to be locations all over that fit that criteria. There are a few TT drivers that want to race the scale trucks, they would be the ones with the advantage, except for vehicle capabilities. Then criteria needs to be determined on scale vs performance expectations. I build performance minded, bodywork hides most of the car anyhow, I just run sc wheels and tires.
This is a ways from reality, I think anyhow.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #38
RCC Addict

A slight, perhaps major setback for the fpv program. It appears that the antenna needs to be mounted on the roof for best transmission of the signal for race speeds. That presents a problem for most vehicles, you simply can't just put it there. So back to line of sight racing for now. Does that interest anyone or do I need to put the dog to bed? It can still happen in a couple acres of area, my local spot would be great for a desert race or KOH style event. Run it as timed sectioned event like rally races, say 15 minute sections so you may have to refuel, no vehicle service/repairs when off the track. Again, any So Cali residents that want to give this a try?
Old 03-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #39

Im down for it. For fpv we could also do like the drone races. You crash and your out kind of thing for per section and after each section is complete we tally the dnf and the finishing times to determine a winner after a total of lets say 5 or 6 sections. It will make the drivers hone and sharpen their driving skills as well as level the playing field when it comes to speed. We cant just go out there and hold it wide open for risk of rolling over but we need to drive fast enough to try and win. Remember this is all new and we can tweak and change things as we go to see what will really work in the real world and what wont. I want to give it a try and see if we can do it.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #40

I think the bigger issue is going to be radio range on pistol grip radios. At best we can get a safe range of close to 800 ft. I don"t like the idea of using an airplane remote to drive a tt

Desert/Baja Style Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baja Bandido's Desert Basher Baja Bandido Axial Wraith 3 01-21-2013 10:38 PM
My desert yota Ivan Stewart style. wrencher 1.9 Scale Rigs 15 01-20-2013 10:12 PM
Another SCX Desert style Robbob Axial SCX-10 16 09-30-2010 05:20 AM
Baja Desert Racers DirkDigler Chit Chat 18 02-07-2006 07:29 AM