RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Unlimited Class Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/unlimited-class-crawlers/)
-   -   Mini Super (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/unlimited-class-crawlers/528639-mini-super.html)

MRCrackhead 03-07-2015 09:07 AM

Mini Super

3 Attachment(s)
Not sure where to place this build, but I'm considering it a mini since I plan to build it to run 12" gates.

Wanted to build a rig a bit wider, longer, dig or MOA axle mixing, and 4ws to resemble it's big brothers in the Superclass.

One idea I'm looking at uses LCC axles.

Picked this up the other day to start eyeballing possibilities.

Attachment 311500

The plan is servo and motor behind the axle.

Motor pinion will drive a larger pinion directly attached to the worm drive ( like current MOA LCC setups use).

Attachment 311501

AR60 tube ends fitted over shaved LCC housing nets XR steering and roughly a 9" wheel base.

Attachment 311502

MRCrackhead 03-07-2015 09:17 AM

Re: Mini Super

5 Attachment(s)
The other idea uses the MT axle.

Attachment 311503

Some tube work will be needed to fit a 1/8 axle in a mini.

Attachment 311504

Cut down and shaved the tubes to fit XR hubs.

Attachment 311505

Took them right to the link mounts for now. May narrow it more, but it's all theory at this point.

Attachment 311506

Here's a rough mock up with my sportsman tires, which are a bit too big, but it's all fitting and testing at this stage of the build.

Attachment 311507

winnerone23 03-07-2015 09:17 AM

Mmmmmoooooooorrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee

MRCrackhead 03-07-2015 08:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Before I can really go any further I need some realistic tires for this rig.

The Sporty tires are just too big to use for mock up.

So I tried my hand at reducing some tires tonight.

Attachment 311591

Since this is still a low budget build, just in case it's lame, I'm trying to use materials I already have laying around.

Some narrowed Sedonas glued to buggy wheels seemed the perfect test subject.

This is what I'm hoping they look like when finished.

Attachment 311592

The first one turned out decent.

This should give me a better tire for getting more accurate mock up measurements.

Back to the shop to make at least one more, for now anyway.

Attachment 311593

winnerone23 03-07-2015 08:20 PM

Great work Kevin!
What's the height on that tire?

chris.martell 03-07-2015 08:26 PM

Now that's a mini super tire! Looking good Merc.
This is a really interesting project and I'm glad you are taking it on. I can't wait to get my hands on some parts and join you

MRCrackhead 03-07-2015 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnerone23 (Post 5168435)
Great work Kevin!
What's the height on that tire?

4.5" tall, 1.5" wide.

No idea why, just started cutting and went with the flow....

They may not be the ideal tire, or anything, but they'll serve their purpose.

MRCrackhead 03-07-2015 11:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Up late getting the other tire made, now I've got a pair......haha

Attachment 311605

The smaller diameter tire certainly gives some hope for steering, and being able to get that lower link past the backside of the motor.

Cramped=Mini

Attachment 311606

Had this old chassis sitting around, never thought I'd use it for anything. Perfect for mock up during a foolish build.

I remember why not much ever gets tossed out around here.

Notice the sweet green AX10 crossbars.....

Attachment 311607

MRCrackhead 03-07-2015 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris.martell (Post 5168439)
Now that's a mini super tire! Looking good Merc.
This is a really interesting project and I'm glad you are taking it on. I can't wait to get my hands on some parts and join you

Thanks Chris.

The second one was much easier than the first. Typical, I suppose.

Still need to shave and buff them up a bit, but that's not important now.

Definitely looking forward to another build. Get to it! I have a lot of questions....

Curcal 03-08-2015 01:25 PM

Super cool build!

MRCrackhead 03-08-2015 02:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
All this time, the servo has just been wedged between the motor and the axle tube so I could look at things.

The motor was all the way back in the slots and obviously that wasn't going to work.

Following Berg tradition, today I cut the back side of the tube out to make room for the servo.

I also shortened the servo posts.

Attachment 311648

Then I made up this bracket to hold the servo.

Not sure if 4 screws holding it to the axle was necessary, but what the heck.

Attachment 311649

Now the motor can travel it's full amount.

Attachment 311650

Back together, and back to measuring and planning.

Attachment 311651

89redranger 03-09-2015 08:07 AM

Damn you make quick progress! Looking good!

What was involved in turning the tubes down to size? As soon as Uncle Sam gets our tax check sent this way I will be buying two sets of the MT axles (in parts obviously...), using one set for a budget Pro build, and the other most likely for a little smaller rig along these lines. Also, what do you have planned for shafts for these? I've been talking to Dravpnir for a few weeks now about these axles, what it would take to make a set work, and the biggest obstacle seems to be getting the shafts to fit the locker. Are you going to make a tang adapter of some sort, or play cut and weld with two sets of shafts? Personally, I plan on having some adapters machined locally by a buddy. But I also intend on using the stock HEAVY Exceed locker and 4th gear.

Keep up the awesome work! As usual, your hand fab'd parts look production worthy.

MRCrackhead 03-09-2015 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 89redranger (Post 5169714)
What was involved in turning the tubes down to size?

I used my dremel and these handy items.

The small cutter does a great job scoring the line, and cutting to depth.

Cut the tubes to length, then cut the depth next to the link mount, using the original tube to gauge my depth.

Got close, measured with dial indicator, then sanded the rest with a drum sander attachment to match the cut. Left slightly over on purpose for error.

Then I checked all around measuring from the inside of the tube to check for high spots, out of round, etc....looking for .0115 shooting for .053 overall. Inside tube is .030.

The flapper attachments remove very little material for fine tuning.

The other flapper essentially polishes the plastic, nearly looks factory when you're done.

Attachment 311763

Here you can see the splines of the hub left scars on the tube when I pushed them on.

Great fit. I plan to use VP scale hubs to clamp down tight.

With two screws, and the clamp, I feel they should hold even though the tubes are smooth.

Attachment 311764

MRCrackhead 03-09-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89redranger (Post 5169714)
Also, what do you have planned for shafts for these? I've been talking to Dravpnir for a few weeks now about these axles, what it would take to make a set work, and the biggest obstacle seems to be getting the shafts to fit the locker.

Keep up the awesome work! As usual, your hand fab'd parts look production worthy.

I bought the case and tubes bare.

I've never seen the locker, so I'm gambling.

My theory is using OFNA universals.

They don't neck down like other shafts, and are very long.

Cut to length, and then cut whatever tang is needed.....I hope.

I ordered two complete used axles yesterday, since this idea doesn't completely suck yet...lol.

May have them by the weekend, and know more at that point.

Thanks for the compliments.

89redranger 03-09-2015 04:50 PM

Here's a pic of the Mad torque steel locker for ya. Big ol hefty piece.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1419739...2268_192083851

I plan to use the Mad Torque cases, tubes, and small gears, with the exception being plastic Mad Crawler (same axles, smaller 1/10th rig, plastic gears) large gears. As destruction happens I will end up swapping the plastic gears for the stock metal Mad Torque gears. And, yes, I am ordering multiple sets of both plastic and steel gears. My belief is that, in the end, the 4th gear in the front axle is the only one that will really need to be metal. The load on a 4.25-4.5" tire is minimal, the torque load further up the gear ladder is lower, and the front axle is the one that REALLY takes all the abuse.

The Ofna universals do sound like a viable option, but the Exceed locker seems to accept shafts with around an 6mm outside diamter at the tangs. Who knows, maybe I can order a few sets of the stock Exceed shafts, cut them down to just the inner ends, have them drilled, then use them as shaft adapters on Axial shafts. Who knows? Need parts before I speculate too much...

MRCrackhead 03-09-2015 07:00 PM

I'm out of town, without my sportsman, so I can't measure my OFNA universals.

5mm seems familiar though.

If I need 6mm, I may be in trouble.

If it's truly a Berg copy, I wonder if some aftermarket options for lockers could help.

I'll know more when the parts come.

MRCrackhead 03-09-2015 07:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bent some lower links to get some clearance on the motor.

Trying not to get ahead of myself, without all the parts in hand, but I'm bored in the motel.

Attachment 311781

This is NO steering setup, just got tired of the wheels flopping around while measuring stuff.

It did show me there was a good bit of steering to be found.

The stock XR knuckle is maxed out, but there's room on the other side for more.

Attachment 311782

Dravpnir 03-10-2015 03:01 AM

The bolt pattern for Berg lockers are a bit off from the exceed ones unfortunatly. But you can use a Berg locker and a Berg 4th gear together with the other Exceed gears. I run that combo with my scrap box Berg.

filotr14lsdude 03-10-2015 06:19 AM

Onfa shafts are 4.15mm diameter.

Well the ones I measured 2 days ago were.

Erik D_lux 03-10-2015 07:43 AM

Cool build! As soon as things slow down, I hope to join you by building my own. I think MT axles will be the way to go as long as everything fits.

Yep, you can just use a Berg locker and 4th gear with no mods and then you can simply take the OFNA shaft and make a tang on the end. Lots of info found here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/enrou...r-options.html