Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Unlimited Class Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dlux Super Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dlux Super Mini

what's the overall track width with projected to be with these axles?
chris.martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2015, 01:12 AM   #22
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I'm trying to get Jason to create a comp rig section for 16" and 12" unlimited rigs.
Good luck!
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:29 AM   #23
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravpnir View Post
Oh dear... those axles... so awesome!

Could it be worth trying to make the link mounts go over the chub a bit to be able to narrowing the axles a little bit extra? Or make some new chubs with built in link mounts? You should be able to save 3 mm or so per side I think.
There are ways to get narrower. My fear is that it wont matter though because the limitations should be the gearbox and motor. If they are not limiting like I think they will be, I will go after more savings on the tubes.

Just incase anybody else is building and wants ideas, there is quite a bit that you can probably see on the short side that can simply be cut down. On the long side, I considered inserting a brass insert into the link/shock mount so I could eliminate the nut and move that over or, thread into the servo mount. Also, on the long side you could trim the tube flange down, move the servo mount over and attach the servo mount straight to the gear box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Oh my..... post a a link here to your new build thread in the berg section.

Btw all that work for 1mm of space gain on your 2.2? Think youll do it?
Its not really the 1mm that I would be after, its the 3mm on the wider part thats more appealing. The 1mm is just bonus.

I will do it, I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I'm trying to get Jason to create a comp rig section for 16" and 12" unlimited rigs.
I hope they want to support us. Seems like they would since its in many people's (including their) best interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.martell View Post
what's the overall track width with projected to be with these axles?
No idea. Just as tight as possible. If my math serves me, I am down about 3/4" now and I can get about .350" per side off with hubs for about another 3/4" so, if I can fit all of those savings, thats 1.5" total off and if I use my current 2.2p tires, that would put me around 8.5", which is where I want to be. I am not counting on it. Just counting on "as good as possible".
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #24
Wanna get? Gotta want.

After working on these axles, I really started to take another look at the LCC axles.

They are close to the perfect width approx 6" (same as what I just made with the "Mini Lites") stock.

The motor sits length wise, so youre going to have a much easier time getting around the motor and servo or whatever.

My first thought on them was to not use them as I thought I would use a 4.25" tire. The problem is that the tires are not big enough to clear the servo when upside down so you would always take rollovers. I think with a 5.5" tire, this is not an issue though.

Sure, the LCC axles have a lot of shortcomings, some can be worked through, some not but if somebody wanted to get into this class on the super cheap, I think LCC axles with the MOA kit would be the way to go.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #25
RCC Addict

I still find myself digging up the threads from your last worm geared MRC from time to time. I can't even begin to imagine what you'll build without rules or regulations other than gate width. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Not sure if you're keeping the LCC outers or not on this build, but I still have a pair of your LCC knuckle weights collecting dust. I remember you saying I had bought one of the last pairs you had. If you want them for this build shoot me a PM.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
After working on these axles, I really started to take another look at the LCC axles.

They are close to the perfect width approx 6" (same as what I just made with the "Mini Lites") stock.

The motor sits length wise, so youre going to have a much easier time getting around the motor and servo or whatever.

My first thought on them was to not use them as I thought I would use a 4.25" tire. The problem is that the tires are not big enough to clear the servo when upside down so you would always take rollovers. I think with a 5.5" tire, this is not an issue though.

Sure, the LCC axles have a lot of shortcomings, some can be worked through, some not but if somebody wanted to get into this class on the super cheap, I think LCC axles with the MOA kit would be the way to go.

I just traded for my old LCC and like 89redrangers it still has some of your knuckle weights, but the best part is that it still has some of your chrome moly worm gears!!! You have my interest peaked.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I have a set of losi axles sitting around. Seriously just today I was thinking about making a mini super with them.. But they lacked the huge advantage you guys have, MOA. I think if I could find an MOA kit for them I would be all in for this new class.. Or maybe I'll just buy some of those mini-lite axles
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Hmmm... I lean on that sweet little post about the LCC axles.. As I happen to have (you know) some Eritex moa adapter's...

Now just to figure out how to get the tangs to work on uni's, in the LCC locker's.. :/

I might just have to ship them off for some tangs.. ;)

Those mini-lite's are Sick!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:04 AM   #29
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
I still find myself digging up the threads from your last worm geared MRC from time to time. I can't even begin to imagine what you'll build without rules or regulations other than gate width. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Not sure if you're keeping the LCC outers or not on this build, but I still have a pair of your LCC knuckle weights collecting dust. I remember you saying I had bought one of the last pairs you had. If you want them for this build shoot me a PM.
Funny, I just had to dig up my own MRC thread to see what width I was running with it. Cboggs and I had a discussion about it at BOTW too. Might be a good car to have back now that motor technology has changed a bit?

I think I may have confused you. I am not switching out to LCC axles. I just happen to think about them after finishing the Mini Lites, thinking how they are about the same width and also thinking about how screwed I am for fitment while the LCC axles would afford so much more room. Oh, and the ground clearance under the axles on an LCC cant be beat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
I just traded for my old LCC and like 89redrangers it still has some of your knuckle weights, but the best part is that it still has some of your chrome moly worm gears!!! You have my interest peaked.
Yeah, I wish I had more Chromo gears! I think I might have 1 or 2 left that I am keeping just in case. IMO, they were one of the best things to ever happen to that car, too bad not too many other felt that way until it was too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
I have a set of losi axles sitting around. Seriously just today I was thinking about making a mini super with them.. But they lacked the huge advantage you guys have, MOA. I think if I could find an MOA kit for them I would be all in for this new class.. Or maybe I'll just buy some of those mini-lite axles
Either way, it would be cool to see the class grow. I know I am going to win the 12" unlimited class at worlds with this thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
Now just to figure out how to get the tangs to work on uni's, in the LCC locker's.. :/

I might just have to ship them off for some tangs.. ;)

Those mini-lite's are Sick!
I have been making shafts for the LCC for the guys who have widened them. Not too hard as long as you have stock LCC shafts.

FYI, the LCC tang is square, the flats measure 4.5mm.

Really though, if you wanted in on the cheap, you could run a stock LCC axle with MOA setup or even a shafty.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #30
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Chassis is done. Should be moving right along now as links are easy and then its just a bolt together affair.

I just made the chassis as simple as possible. Its 1/2" shorter than the 2.2p version so it should drive upside down nicely.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

This build is going to lighten my bank account!

Awesome work Erik!

EDIT: Yeah, I know about the darn square "tangs"..
But I think XR steering is in order.. If I'm going to do it, I atleast want my steering, that I have parts for..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #32
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, who can deal with 50* of steering anymore

Oh, and besides, the LCC CVD pins and hex pins are horrible.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM   #33
Wanna get? Gotta want.

All linked up and waiting on parts/material.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:24 AM   #34
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Not quite full stuff, belly hits the table before shocks can fully compress but, its close

Full extension

And I guess this is somewhat ride height. Springs are feeling stiff so I may need to work on them a bit.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #35
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Clearances are somewhat tight. I think I could milk another .5mm if I need.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 05-19-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Oreo link mount!
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #37
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I know! I might have to change it because it makes me hungry!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

When you get a chance, can you post a pic of it next to your 2.2. Just want to gauge how big it is.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #39
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, I will get one ASAP. Other than the chassis, its not that different. Pretty much my 2.2P car with a different chassis and rear steer.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #40
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Here are a couple of comparison pics next to my 2.2P car.

Dlux Super Mini - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM
Dlux Super and 2.2 super lite axles in Wendover, NV Erik D_lux Videos! 0 07-08-2013 10:08 AM
Dlux mini build Erik D_lux Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 92 09-22-2011 05:28 PM