Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Unlimited Class Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dlux Super Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dlux Super Mini

Now the question is.... what size tires and wheels?
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #42
Wanna get? Gotta want.

How very convenient of you to ask Curt. LOL.

This build is very familiar in the way that its a cross between my 2.2 and my super. I feel like I am using the same ideas and parts, just slightly different sizes of the ideas. The tires and wheels will be no different.

Here is a shot at the tires. Stupid narrow Sedonas in the front, stupid narrow VooDoo in the rear. They are next to their full size brothas.

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #43
Wanna get? Gotta want.

As said above, wheels will follow suit of my new style super wheels that I made not too long ago. These wheels for this car measure 4". Thats the same size as the full size supers use if using a Trencher side wall. That should give some perspective as how large these things really are.

You will also notice that the wheels are black vs. my white that I love. My supplier is not around at the moment so I will have to make due. Pretty bummed about this.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #44
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Mega super, mini super, 2.2. As said above, the mini super size is the exact same as the "standard" super wheels I have made for a couple years now.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #45
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Taking a step back for a minute... since the wheels are now black, I didnt want to be reminded to eat an Oreo cookie all the time and I dont want Curt to make fun of me, I switched out the middle part of the upper link mount from white to black. This operation has gone all black. Except for some 7075 and stainless I suppose.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:16 AM   #46
RCC Addict

I think your wheels and short chassis are going to be the only way you'll be able to tell these rigs apart from each other...

Booooooo bring back the Oreo

Last edited by Curcal; 05-22-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #47
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I spot glued the tires on the wheels and got it all mocked up.

With the current config, I can get to approx 8.5" on my narrowest hub setting. Right where I was hoping.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:19 AM   #48
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Num, num, num....

Might be a bit tight and too much tire rub. I was hoping to leave the inner lugs but looks like there will be too much contact if I leave them.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #49
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I am using my stainless 0 offset hubs. They are pretty sweet because you can basically get 2 hubs for the price of 1. All you have to do is flip it around and it makes you wider.

Here is a bit wider with the hub flipped. Just about 8.75" but dont take that to heart. I dont think I got an actual good measurement out of it since I dont have inner shafts in yet and the stub can flop around a bit. It will be under 9" though, probably what I will try and run with so I can get some good steering and stay under 9". I at least feel its good enough to finish the shafts, steering links etc,. and not worry too much about major changes.

Num, num, num

Old 05-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #50
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Parting shot for now... I did get one tire/wheel fully glued. I cut up a Sedona foam. Waaaaay too stiff. I regret fully gluing. I almost feel like using no foam since there is not much sidewall. I think I will cut the Sedona foam in half first though and see how that feels.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:30 AM   #51
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
I think your wheels and short chassis are going to be the only way you'll be able to tell these rigs apart from each other...

Booooooo bring back the Oreo
Technically, the only things that are the exact same are my front upper links and my shocks. Everything else is different in some sort of way. I do understand what youre saying though. Its just an unlimited 2.2p car. A large part of me thinks this is what 2.2p should be. I dont really understand some/most rules but it is what it is.

Even if this class never comes around, this is going to be a bad ass car to have in the stable.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #52
RCC Addict

With the 2.2p rules where they are i think its what keeps it differentiated from super. And this build really blurs those lines a little.
But yes like you said this rig is a BAMF.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #53
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, I respect that opinion and even though I obviously like my opinions, I really am glad my thinking isnt adopted. I think its good to have rules, I guess. LOL.

After building this car, it just seems (in my head and my thoughts) that classes should be unlimited, do whatever you want. The only difference to classes is the size of the gates and obstacles that you have to get through. You still would not run this car in the super class, you would get killed. If you tried to run my super through a 12" gate, you would never make it. Problem with that thinking is that they would be the same car, just different size.

I suppose it is fun having cars of different capabilities. Maybe just same 2.2p class but with rear steer? I just think its sad that most never drive rear steer because its only accepted in one class. Rear steer is by far the funnest function in crawling.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #54
RCC Addict

As for sedona foam being too stiff. You have a pretty good contact patch already and you have more weight to add even before it'll run. In contrast to that thought you run a rover foam in a 5lb 2.2
Old 05-22-2015, 08:01 AM   #55
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I suppose it is fun having cars of different capabilities. I just think its sad that most never drive rear steer because its only accepted in one class. Rear steer is by far the funnest function in crawling.
Agreed. Rear steer is fun and if allowed in 2.2p would be a total game changer. I think it is well placed in the established super class and I've always thought a 2.2 unlimited class would be cool. But now that i have a super and the class is definitely growing I'm less inclined to build or even want the 2.2 unlimited for myself.

In all reality the growth for both new people coming in (it is a slow growth) and the growth an innovation in classes keeps it interesting for guys like you.

As far as rule and regs go. They're helping you keep parts that can be reproduced without being completely one off. That keeps guys like me in the game because i dont have all that crazy machinery in my tiny rc closet.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #56
RCC Addict

Those wheels/tires are exactly what I had in mind for this rig. Very super.

I used what I had on hand to keep cost down; but this is the ultimate goal for mine someday.

Nice work.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #57
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I would also be for allowing 4ws into some existing classes, but since we are well established with the current rulesets I wouldn't dare modify them and risk upsetting the folks that are still involved. That's why I thought the mini and mid unlimited classes were a great idea. They can even be ran on the same courses as 1.9 and 2.2 to make events easier to host. Sure, the mini unlimited rig will probably walk a 1.9 course, but that assumes the driver and rig are dialed.

I think unlimited trucks will catch on. With 1.9 basically being a spec class without kit or RTR support, I anticipate in two years time that 12" unlimited "mini supers" will be more popular. If you have to custom build a rig, it's hardly any more effort to build an unlimited VS 1.9. Maybe even easier to build an unlimited since you can use practically anything and don't have to pour over pages of rules to be sure everything is in spec.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #58
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
As for sedona foam being too stiff. You have a pretty good contact patch already and you have more weight to add even before it'll run. In contrast to that thought you run a rover foam in a 5lb 2.2
Not sure where youre seeing the contact patch? If youre looking at the last picture, that is with zero foam.

I dont know what I was thinking on the Sedona foam. I should have used Rover. Just thrown off because the foam is so thin.

Quote:
Agreed. Rear steer is fun and if allowed in 2.2p would be a total game changer. I think it is well placed in the established super class and I've always thought a 2.2 unlimited class would be cool. But now that i have a super and the class is definitely growing I'm less inclined to build or even want the 2.2 unlimited for myself.
It will be interesting to drive this car. I wonder if I will lose interest in supers or if my super will always be the go to car for unlimited driving? I could see this car taking the place of EVERY car that I like to drive and being satisfied with this being my only car. We will see.

Quote:
As far as rule and regs go. They're helping you keep parts that can be reproduced without being completely one off. That keeps guys like me in the game because i dont have all that crazy machinery in my tiny rc closet.
I can see where youre coming from, but I think the difference would be that you would be buying different and better parts from the get go. I think rules limit technology and thats what I dislike about them. I think the best guy and car should win. Like I said above though, its kind of a far out thought and even with that thought, I think there would have to be some rules, just further down stream if that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I would also be for allowing 4ws into some existing classes, but since we are well established with the current rulesets I wouldn't dare modify them and risk upsetting the folks that are still involved. That's why I thought the mini and mid unlimited classes were a great idea. They can even be ran on the same courses as 1.9 and 2.2 to make events easier to host. Sure, the mini unlimited rig will probably walk a 1.9 course, but that assumes the driver and rig are dialed.

I think unlimited trucks will catch on. With 1.9 basically being a spec class without kit or RTR support, I anticipate in two years time that 12" unlimited "mini supers" will be more popular. If you have to custom build a rig, it's hardly any more effort to build an unlimited VS 1.9. Maybe even easier to build an unlimited since you can use practically anything and don't have to pour over pages of rules to be sure everything is in spec.
I totally agree with letting things lie and not adding rear steer. I think its fantastic that youre adding a new idea and a new class. Its just like running any business. You cant have something fantastic like Coke and plan on only selling Coke for a million years. You have to come out with new stuff and new ways to sell it. Rc crawling is no different.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Loving your work Erik.

You have delived exactly what I thought you would.
When i seen you were building one I had a feeling this was the way you would head.

Keep up the good work.

I've always wanted a 2.2p with rear steer.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #60
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I got a good start on the knuckle weights. I will probably run some rear weights too, just need to make those up. Maybe they will just be the same design? Not sure yet.

Dlux Super Mini - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM
Dlux Super and 2.2 super lite axles in Wendover, NV Erik D_lux Videos! 0 07-08-2013 10:08 AM
Dlux mini build Erik D_lux Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 92 09-22-2011 05:28 PM