Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Unlimited Class Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dlux Super Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2015, 09:40 AM   #61
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Dlux Super Mini

I thought this was a funny/cool picture. Not too many places where you could have a rock stop you on the front (or I suppose the back of the rear axle also) without being able to steer into it.

Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 AM   #62
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If only a hub motor would perform decent without weighing a pound each, plenty of room to shove one inside.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:44 AM   #63
Wanna get? Gotta want.

So, I was able to complete:
Axle shafts
Cut the foam in the front tires in half, still Sedona foam. Feels much better. Still need to figure out what foam I want to run in the rear VooDoos
Inner sidewalls shaved
Steering links made
Knuckle weights 90% done

Having the axles shafts complete, I was able to get a much more accurate overall width. Ended up being 8.58" over all. This is with the hubs being in the "wide" version so I could actually go narrower by about .250" if I want. I think this is where I will want to be though, maybe even a touch wider for better, non rubbing steering?

Old 05-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #64
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Now, with the tires shaved and hubs/shafts at their correct place, I was able to see how much steering I would get also. Does not look too bad. I will have to drive it to see though.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #65
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
If only a hub motor would perform decent without weighing a pound each, plenty of room to shove one inside.
However, I do like a lot of weight out there! 1lb each could be great as long as it were below the wheel center line. Even if it was just even with the center line, it could be a good setup.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:53 AM   #66
I wanna be Dave

You need to start selling small bottle's of windex..

So I can clean the drool off my phone's screen!

Absolutely Ridiculous!

When do these parts hit the web site? Take my money!
Sure you don't want a yeti.. Lol..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:22 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
However, I do like a lot of weight out there! 1lb each could be great as long as it were below the wheel center line. Even if it was just even with the center line, it could be a good setup.

The motor could be offset from centerline so some gear reduction could be had without planetaries. The only method I can think of to get half decent reduction so the motor wasn't huge would be a ring gear on the rim and "gearbox" of motor pinion and idler where knuckleweight hanger and knuckle would typically mount. Unfortunately, it would lend itself to skipping gears unless the rim was made to ride on double bearings. Then the motor would have to be inside the rim, or the inner bearing would have to be large enough to pass a jackshaft inside.

I've been scheming on wheelmotor designs since 2007, still haven't figured out a decent layout that would perform well and also be somewhat light. The only real hope of keeping it snappy is with at least 25:1 reduction, but 35:1 or higher is better.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:58 PM   #68
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

Wayfukkincool!!!! Great work Erik. Hope this class gets it's own section soon. Builders class for sure. Maybe it can be an ROC/spec class with Erik building all of the rigs.

123, you better pick-up-sticks if you want to master an unlimited class.

"Put your hands upon my sticks, when I stick, you stick, we stick...."
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #69
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, a true "unlimited class"! Gotta love that!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #70

I'm trying to get some robotics folks out to worlds so we can really show them what rigs can do. Might make it interesting if we had a payload subclass that had to have a go pro or wireless cam mounted. Probably be most popular with 16" or wider gates. Probably too late for this year, but would be sweet to embarrass some robots.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 AM   #71
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I like the ideas John! Keep them coming!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:16 AM   #72
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

If tire rub on your shocks is an issue try some super thin sleeves over your shocks that rotate around the shock when the tires rub on them. I think JeepinDoug did something like this on his rig. Might work.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:18 AM   #73
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I think I am going to be able to get away with not rubbing the shocks, I think the links will be the issue. I think your idea would have been cool on links too.... but now they are bent. DOH!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #74
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I got my motors thanks to Holmes Hobbies!

I went the cheapest route I could. I have never run machine wound motors and for some reason I felt the need to try them.

I put a bit of a twist on them though. Turned the cans down .060, trimmed up the end bells for less weight and did the "reverse spring mod" to get the springs up out of the rocks. I got the springs from EddieO (Brood). Thanks for those EddieO!

Old 06-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #75
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I made up some Sedona inner, full size soft Crawler Innovation 5.5 outer foam. They actually feel really, really good. I like the foam stiff in the VooDoo though. One huge issue with more foam was that the foam really wanted to poke into the wheels. On my super build, I glued some mesh around the wheel to keep the foam in but it ended up ripping and not working. On the super, the foam is stiff enough itself in once placed right so I never dealt with the foam on that car.

Best thing I came up with for now was some rubber bands. Seems like it could actually work OK? I am not totally sold on the idea if anybody has something else in mind they would like to share. The tan bands are killing me too. I ordered some black rubber bands but they wont be here for a bit.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:33 AM   #76

I've got reverse springs too, could have saved a shipping charge if you had asked!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #77
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Here are some general clearance pics now that everything is mostly done.

Servo side, the hub touches the shock mount. The shock nut touches the servo mount. The lower link nut touches the servo. The lower link can touch the end bell on the motor and obviously the tire can rub the end bell/lower link. Shock almost hits the end bell on full compression.

Non servo side, the hub touches the shock mount. The lower link nut could slide over maybe .080 before touching the bearing. The lower link can touch the gear case and the tire is ready to gobble up the gear box. Shocks hit the gear box at full compression.

So, everything is about as tight as I think you could get it? It could be possible to cut down the non servo side down another .080 or so but I think youre just going to run into more issues by doing that. I think if you were going to get any narrower you would have to figure out how to make the gear box shorter or narrower.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:36 AM   #78
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I've got reverse springs too, could have saved a shipping charge if you had asked!
Great to know!

I love my reverse spring mod fo sho!
Old 06-01-2015, 07:38 AM   #79
Wanna get? Gotta want.

The rear is a bit of a different story. The VooDoos being larger and running my caster in the opposite direction really messes things up so..... less steering angle in the rear it is! Compromise, compromise...

Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #80
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Got the last part of the knuckle weights done in the front. In hindsight, I wish I would have left more material around the counter sunk mounting bolts. I am not trusting them at this point.

I will do the rear weights later on, probably when everything else is done. I would like to take this car to AZ this weekend in running condition.

Dlux Super Mini - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM
Dlux Super and 2.2 super lite axles in Wendover, NV Erik D_lux Videos! 0 07-08-2013 10:08 AM
Dlux mini build Erik D_lux Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 92 09-22-2011 05:28 PM