Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Unlimited Class Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dlux Super Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #121
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Dlux Super Mini

Getting a bit more drive time on this thing but seems like I am not supposed to. I had a Sidewinder lose reverse on me now. I just put in some Holmes mini ESC so hopefully I am good.

On a bright note, after having my BEC go out initially, I always wondered if I could get away with just one BEC for both servos. I made a Y harness to connect both servos to the one good BEC and after a couple of packs, all seems good to go. I have had the front bound up enough to stall it out multiple times and the rear still turns. I suppose if both steering were bound up at the same time there is still a chance of stalling the BEC?

Some specs say that the BEC should not be able to support both servos under stall.

7950 6v at stall says 4.8A. Since I am running 7.4V, I assume thats over 5A for each, and over 10A for both at stall. Considering the BEC is rated at 10A, its pushing it but I think I know how manufacturers go with their ratings and being under rated so.... I will test on.

I dont know the stall current of a 7980 but I would like to try only one BEC on my super too. It would be cool to cut the cost, weight and size of getting a BEC out of the system.

Now I feel like we can all post in those threads about "do I need a BEC"? LOL. Not sure you do, at least two of them.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #122
RCC Addict

What about a 20amp BEC?
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:01 PM   #123
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I think the 20a bec weighs more and takes more space than 2 10a?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #124
RCC Addict

Never used one i just know they exist.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:03 AM   #125
Rock Crawler

When I first set up my super I used just 1 bec. It worked fairly well, until I started pushing the rig. As I drove it more I started to bind it and stall out the servos.
So I installed a bec for each servo. Then I found the limits and now like running dual servos per axle. I tried 4x servos with 2x bec and found it still played up.
After the issues I switched to 2x 20a becs with each lead powering a servo, it's much better now.

It's worth the try, mainly because it did work on a super, I think you will find the point when you want more power.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 AM   #126
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Awesome. Great feedback! Thanks!

I think that actually give me more hope that the setup will work just because youre probably running 7980's VS. my 7950's and also a much larger tire. Time will tell but I did go out and run it again this weekend. It worked great for a couple more packs until I had more electrical issues.

I also had the thought of running the front servo off a single BEC and then the rear off the un used power on one of the ESC's or maybe trying to tie in the un used ESC's power to the single BEC?

I got a couple seconds of video too that I will post up ASAP.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #127
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Its hard to tell the performance of this car. I think its mostly the narrowness. After running some really well known lines, I could tell it was just different and that being this narrow really hurts me compared to my 2.2P. What are you going to do though? Gotta get through those 12" gates some how. Maybe I will widen up a tad as time goes on?

This car could either be a prodigy and be the baddest out there in its class or it could be the worst. LOL. Hard to tell when you have nothing to judge against.

In this video, these are some what easier obstacles for my 2.2p car. In the 2nd clip, I am not sure if you can see but there is a straddle that the rear tires have to stay between. With the narrowness of this car, you have to do it perfectly, not so much with my 2.2P. I dont think you would make this climb without rear steer and this width. It has to be perfect or the rear tires get pinched and it wants to flip you backwards.

One thing I am questioning is the front tire setup. Seems like there is serious lack of bite. Not sure if its the tread pattern, foam or the wheel setup. I think I am going to try no foam at all and see how that goes. The rear seems pretty dialed in even though pins are horrible at this location.

https://youtu.be/WDC2rfr7q-4

Old 08-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #128
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Awesome. Great feedback! Thanks!

I think that actually give me more hope that the setup will work just because youre probably running 7980's VS. my 7950's and also a much larger tire.
You are correct. 7980 with 8in tires

I'd say you should be fine. It's worth trying.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #129
I wanna be Dave

Video looks good. Rig seems to be pretty stable.

I would agree that the front looks like it is lacking traction. Maybe try some rovers narrowed up? The Sedona lugs might just be too "clunky". Or some siping on them?
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 09:40 AM   #130
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Yeah, I am going to have to try something for the front for sure. Seems like the tire/wheel setup on this will be the challenge.

It will be cool to compare mine to yours at Worlds and see if the lower weights and wheel/tire setup is even worth it.

I think I will really be wanting pins in the front on this car for worlds, I think the wheel setup is perfect for pins too.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 AM   #131
TSK
Shelf queen

If there was. Good kind of retarded, this would be it
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #132
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Good to see you at least lurking Trav!
Old 08-15-2015, 06:19 PM   #133
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Good to see you at least lurking Trav!
Doesn't look like much ahs changed besides these new fangled comtraptions ou guys got going on
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 AM   #134
Wanna get? Gotta want.

As I have said before about this car, it isnt climbing nor side-hilling too well.

I dont know how many times I have to learn the lesson that you "build once and build right". Every time I try and save a buck or cut corners, I always end up regretting it. This is no difference with the brass knuckles I put on. I finally put 7075 knuckles on and it has been a night and day difference. I cant believe I am going to say it but I think there was just too much weight on the front or, should I say, too much weight up too high?

I threw on the 7075 knuckles and climbs are much, much better. It makes me wonder if I should even kill the highest slugs in the weight holders? I like the weight but I am thinking a bias according to how high or how low is just as important? I dont think it matters on most cars like a 2.2p because you can only do what you can but on these cars with these wheels, you have options.

So, new 7075 knuckles took off about 8oz total from the front end and climbs are much better, side hills are better, still not great.

I also took out all the foam from the front. It feels much better too. In hind sight, I think I should have made the tires a hair wider so they would wad up a touch more. I think I am in the ball park now though.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #135
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have had rear weights on my "to do" list for quite some time but just have not been able to get around to them. With how unstable this car can be on sidehills, I figured it was time to get to work.

Not including the holders themselves, looking at 2oz per side and I can add 2 more if I want. This car already seems heavy enough though...

Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 AM   #136
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Bench testing went fantastic!

Rear tires flexing...

Front tires flexing....

Both tires...

Old 08-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #137
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I was able to take this car out this weekend to run a quick pack through. It was un familiar territory so I dont know how fair of an assessment I can give. I seemed like it was more stable side to side, feels like my break over really hurt as I had to pull my back end over everything. I think it was an improvement overall but I can see some tuning needing to be done for sure.

Dlux Super Mini - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DLUX super build Erik D_lux Superclass Crawlers 578 07-20-2016 09:13 AM
Dlux Super and 2.2 super lite axles in Wendover, NV Erik D_lux Videos! 0 07-08-2013 10:08 AM
Dlux mini build Erik D_lux Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 92 09-22-2011 05:28 PM