Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Unlimited Class Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "Blue Iris" A AMW Built Enigma Axle'd:Y Town Sporticus Chassis:Activated Outlaw

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default "Blue Iris" A AMW Built Enigma Axle'd:Y Town Sporticus Chassis:Activated Outlaw

I am building this crawler for Activated Outlaw rule set in the Competition 4x4 class.

I first got a Y Town Sporticus chassis and then Enigma axles made by Casey. I will be using a Dlux Ham Berger trans with Traxxas driveshafts and Big Bore shocks. The idea for this build is to keep everything inline with the chassis.
Crawler's name: Blue Iris
The Build Parts:
Y Town Sporticus chassis
Enigma axle housings
Hot Racing AR44 Overdrive gear set 27/8 (front axle)
Axial AR44 Gear set 30/8 (rear axle)
Vanquish Products Spool
Vanquish Products clamping rear lockout
Vanquish Products rear XR10 shafts
Vanquish Products AR60 Chubs
Vanquish Products AR60 Knuckles
Vanquish Products Brass Knuckle weights
SDS Customs 300M XR-10 width shafts (front)
Dlux Ham Berger Trans
Traxxas Plastic driveshafts
Traxxas Big Bore 3.5 shocks, Dlux spring cups, Dlux Springs Front, Mini T springs Rear, RPM 2 Stage Pistons (Green)
Titanium links

Electronics:
Futaba receiver
Hitec 7954SH servo
Tekin FXR
Castle Creations BEC
Brood 35 turn motor
Battery 500MAH 3S lipo 50C

Tires, Wheels, and Foams:
Voodoo pins cut, narrowed, and shortened made by Nova's Ark
Crawler Innovations 6 Bolt 1" wheels
Crawler Innovations triple stage prototype foams

Y Town Sporticus Chassis

Sporticus Chassis Weight = 54 grams

Gavin Ayala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Blue Iris" A AMW Built Enigma Axle'd:Y Town Sporticus Chassis:Activated Outlaw

Enigma Axles
3D printed center section and linkmount with aluminum tubes and carbon fiber truss made by Casey. Axles use AR44 gear set with XR10 width shafts.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Blue Iris" A AMW Built Enigma Axle'd:Y Town Sporticus Chassis:Activated Outlaw

disassemble

Axle parts
AR44 Hot Racing overdrive gear set for the front axle and AR44 axial unders for the rear axle.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I sanded the center sections with sand paper up to 600 grit.
Front 300M axle shafts

Rear Axle Assembled

Old 12-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Y Town Sporticus Chassis

Rear axle weight assembled 147 grams

I cut the plastic skid for the sporticus and made the link mounts wider. I mounted the links with jeepindoug 6mm aluminum ball studs and a spacer. I then sanded the skid with sand paper up to 600 grit.

Old 12-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

More of the skid

Old 12-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

this is gonna be a sweet build when its complete. was there any reasoning for no upper link adjustment at the chassis?

links look good. did you bend and run a die on them yourself?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
this is gonna be a sweet build when its complete. was there any reasoning for no upper link adjustment at the chassis?

links look good. did you bend and run a die on them yourself?

Thanks, I don't know why there is no upper link adjustment holes at the chassis. I did not bend the front/rear lower titanium links but I did bend the titanium drag link and tie rod link.
-Gavin

Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Traxxas big bore 3.5 shocks with RPM 2 stage pistons (green) and modded shock caps.

More progress
Front axle together with servo and steering linkage done. I mounted the front axle to the chassis with a 1 bend titanium lower link and the upper links are VP 105mm Titanium upper links front and rear bolted to the 2nd link hole on the Enigma axle's. I made a 1/16 delrin tray that bolts to the axle behind the servo for my battery and receiver.

Old 12-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I bent my own titanium steering links.

Who else likes the round skid?

Old 12-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

More progress
A new package of Dlux parts just came in the mail. I made a 1/8 delrin trans mount to hold the Dlux Ham Berger trans with a Brood 35 turn motor attached. The trans is slightly clocked sideways to clearance the driveshafts and chassis I then bolted the delrin plate to the skid with 4 bolts countersunk to the skid.

Thank You Dlux for the Carbo Fiber Ham Berger Trans. The carbon is cleanly cut and looks great!

Old 12-31-2018, 10:48 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The rear output is a close clearance so I turned the button head into the inside of the chassis and put the washer and nut on the outside of the chassis for clearance.

The delrin plate hits the arch of the chassis so it faces the trans upward at the back of the chassis facing the motor downwards to the front of the chassis. I wasn't planning this but it looks like it will help with center of gravity so this is how I will run the trans.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:27 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I was going to use Traxxas 4952X driveshafts but the front driveshaft rubbed on the motor and the rear just clears so I made a pair of Traxxas 6851X driveshafts. I used two 6851 driveshafts to make the front and the rear driveshaft.

Traxxas 4952X driveshaft weight=21 grams

Traxxas 6851X driveshaft weight=13 grams

I will see how the traxxas 6851X driveshafts hold up to binds and durability compared to the 4951X driveshafts.

More Progress
I clearanced the delrin battery/receiver tray and bolted a velcro strap to the tray to hold the battery. I then made a 1/16 delrin tray to hold the ESC&BEC I drilled and tapped the sporticus chassis brace to mount the delrin plate. I drilled and tapped the aluminum shock/chassis braces for body posts along with the chubs front and rear. I adding a Crawler Innovations Servo Guard and put on tire's.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Blue Iris RTR with 3S 500MAH lipo,Futaba receiver, Hitec 7954SH servo, Tekin FXR, Castle Creations BEC, and a Brood 35 turn motor all wired by Nova's Ark.

Plenty of driveshaft clearance with the Traxxas 6851X driveshafts.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

A better look at the wiring.

No battery

The front driveshaft is a double female with a male spline in between.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

More

Old 12-31-2018, 12:49 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I kept all the electronics inline with the chassis.

Now that Blue Iris is all wired and the clearances all fit I am putting Dlux springs in the front and Mini T springs in the rear with Mini T Cups as the final step before a test run.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Blue Iris all together ready to run minus body.

I drove the first battery in Blue Iris and Nova's ark filmed me so a video coming soon. I then drove a second pack and these Engima Axles rock! (Thanks Casey) Blue Iris climbed lines at the C.I rock pile that had never been done before with a sportsman. The enigma axles have an incredible amount of ground clearance and drag over the rocks without catching the rocks. I have never ran a Dlux Ham Berger trans and didn't know if it had enough gear reduction but after the two test runs the Ham Berger is smooth and has plenty of gear reduction and with the traxxas 6851X driveshafts there is room to gear down the pinion even more. I have a Parma Xciter bodie that has been painted by Jwalker Designs that will go on Blue Iris.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #19
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Excellent build Gavin and congratulations on building your first complete competition rc crawler entirely on your own. Gavin assembled this vehicle from a nice collection of parts. The only help I was asked for was the wiring.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Makes me want to rebuild one of my crawlers. Those axles are amazing.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#activatedoutlaw, #amw, #ayalametalworks, #competition 4x4, #crawlerinnovations

"Blue Iris" A AMW Built Enigma Axle'd:Y Town Sporticus Chassis:Activated Outlaw - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"The Formula", a CI built; SSDLUX axle'd; Y Town Sporticus chassis; Activated Outlaw Nova's Ark Axial AX10 2nd-gen 38 04-07-2021 10:41 AM
"The Gatekeeper" A AMW Built AR60 Axle'd,Gatekeeper Chassis , Activated Outlaw Gavin Ayala Axial AX10 2nd-gen 40 09-24-2020 09:25 AM
RECON G6 Challenge "The Superlift Southern Showdown G6" & "Outlaw Terra-X" DRIVNMF Recon G6 227 10-19-2012 10:26 AM