Notices

Thread: Bodiless Chassis Width

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Old guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Ricky,

I think the OP's question related to whether or not the shock standoffs were considered a part of the chassis to be considered for the overall width.
Shock standoffs are not part of the chassis, If that was the case you could have a 1" wide chassis with 1" standoffs on each side. The word standoffs kinda of says it for me ,(Stands off the chassis)

What about my question as far as why a bodied vehicle can be shorter than a bodiless vehicle? (Dimension C from your post.)
It's the same question as to why bodiless are 3" wide and bodied are 5" wide. We want to keep our rigs looking some what like 1:1 rigs. There was lots of talks about all this and this is what we got. I think it's all good and for the best of the sport.
ROCKEDUP RICKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

My one recommendation, add what you just wrote about standoffs to the rules to end all future questions.....

So will the instruction PDF include the handy diagram, that really eliminates any questions.

Thanks again Ricky and everyone that puts up with all these rule questions.
ripper7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Answers that question thanks!

(i never considered standoffs to be part of the chassis, the chassis is the TVP plate or tubes.)
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper7777777 View Post
My one recommendation, add what you just wrote about standoffs to the rules to end all future questions.....

So will the instruction PDF include the handy diagram, that really eliminates any questions.

Thanks again Ricky and everyone that puts up with all these rule questions.
That picture is just photo's of one of my Hustler chassis's we used while we talked about this particular section of the rules. I do believe a picture/diagram will be in the new rules,maybe not that one though. I think we're going to add a picture/diagram for a few different things in the rules to help show intent and try to help eliminate loopholes.

I think it will help allot
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I think we're going to add a picture/diagram for a few different things in the rules to help show intent and try to help eliminate loopholes.
Excellent idea!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not to revive an old thread, but I'm working on a Bodiless and was wondering if there was any news about the new rule for the width.

Currently I plan to space the side plates out to 3"s at the hood and window lines at the skid it would be 2.5". It's a custom chassis design so no reference pics are available at the moment.
Not 100% Official, so don't do anything you can't reverse

Current wording for 2010
Shocks and fasteners (nuts, bolts, washers , or spacers) shall not be included in the measurements of the vehicle.

Quote:
MR I can't say for sure but I would think the reason for the different Dims is to give the bodiless some different limitations than the bodied, make you kinda think about your setup and weigh out the pro's and con's.

Just a guess.
That was one of the main considerations
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
Not 100% Official, so don't do anything you can't reverse

Current wording for 2010
Shocks and fasteners (nuts, bolts, washers , or spacers) shall not be included in the measurements of the vehicle.

ewwwwwwwwwwww I see grey area.

The Spacer thing could be confusing for the multi part chassis, either those with spaced out side plates or those with the spaced out canopy. I'm sure you didn't mean to exclude spacers that hold plates out, but I've seen some of the questions and interpretations in this rule forum.

I like the way the picture shows where the measurement should be taken that helps a lot.

and no worries, my chassis is just for testing the geometry, I'll get it up to code when the rules come out, hopefully the pdf's hit the site before 2010 starts....

I don't envy you alls job at all...........
Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ewwwwwwwwwwww I see grey area.

The Spacer thing could be confusing for the multi part chassis, either those with spaced out side plates or those with the spaced out canopy. I'm sure you didn't mean to exclude spacers that hold plates out, but I've seen some of the questions and interpretations in this rule forum.
I don't see see side plate any where in the wording I posted. It dosn't say you can't use spacers and hardware because everything is held in place with hardware. Its says what you can't use hardware and shocks as measuring points
Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaxx View Post
I don't see see side plate any where in the wording I posted. It dosn't say you can't use spacers and hardware because everything is held in place with hardware. Its says what you can't use hardware and shocks as measuring points

I hear you, it all makes since to me and seems crystal clear.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

crystal clear to me too, panels are considered part of the measurement, but not the screws or standoffs or spacers.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
crystal clear to me too, panels are considered part of the measurement, but not the screws or standoffs or spacers.
BTW, since my truck was the original purpose of this thread, I'll be spacing out the top of the panels when the new rules come out!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

so body panels will be included in the measurement? thats means my pic in post 3 would still be legal. I was under the impression the new rules would require the actual chassis side plates to measure 3" (at the A and B pillars).
ol' gravy leg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol' gravy leg View Post
so body panels will be included in the measurement? thats means my pic in post 3 would still be legal. I was under the impression the new rules would require the actual chassis side plates to measure 3" (at the A and B pillars).
Nope...no A-B pillar reference in the rules for 2010
Old 11-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

cool, thanks fish.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
would be legal until your body panel gets ripped off, or smashed in, then you truck would be illegal, penalty points given and need fixed to continue..

1.4.4 Vehicle Out of Spec: If the Judge has reason to believe a vehicle is out of spec during a course run, he may call time to stop. If time is called by the Judge, the Judge must mark the vehicle’s location and perform a tech inspection in the specified tech area (same manner as all other tech inspections). If the vehicle has been deemed within spec, the driver and vehicle will return to the location marked by the judge and the clock will start once again. If the vehicle is now out of spec and the Judge has determined that the vehicle has gained an advantage, the driver must take a repair (see rule 1.4.3) to correct the problem. If the problem can not be corrected to bring the vehicle back within spec, the driver will receive a DNF for that course (see rule 1.8 ). If a vehicle falls out of spec due to breakage on course and the Judge determines the driver has not gained an advantage, then the driver may be allowed to continue on course without stopping time and requiring a tech inspection. Bodies, and body panels are not included in this exception, and must be replaced immediately, standard repair procedures and penalties apply.

• 1.4.1 - Vehicle Touches include but are not limited to: repairs, repositions, vehicle driving/falling
into the driver.

1.4.2 - On Course Repairs: Must be completed on course and in the spot of which the driver decided to take the repair. Repairs must be made within the course time, while the course timer will continue to run. If repairs are made within the course time, the driver must return to the last previous gate cleared. If repairs cannot be made within the course time, the driver is given a DNF minus progress points for that course.

1.4.3- Off course repairs.(Optional)A driver can call time to make an off course repair. Repairs should be completed within 30 minutes, or the driver is given a DNF minus progress points. If the repair is made in the
allotted time the driver may return to the course. A 1 minute time penelty will be subtracted from the time that is left on that course, and the timer will continue once the vehicle makes forward progress.

I personally wouldn't count on my body panels being part of my measurement. i would make sure my chassis is legal size with no body panels on, however with the new rule the body panels are counted..

Last edited by rockbound; 11-25-2009 at 04:25 PM.
rockbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

so, if you were to look at the rule to it's fullest extent, a bodied vehicle that pushes up against a rock and squishes the body below the required width would be out of spec? Is a judge really going to call it like that?

Of course, for consistency, they should, but is the judge going to carry a ruler with them and pay attention to that?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
so, if you were to look at the rule to it's fullest extent, a bodied vehicle that pushes up against a rock and squishes the body below the required width would be out of spec? Is a judge really going to call it like that?

Of course, for consistency, they should, but is the judge going to carry a ruler with them and pay attention to that?
no because the body rule states that it needs to be full factory width, there is no min measurement, and for your example, a part of the body would still be the correct factory width, and regardless, as soon as the body got away from the rock, it would restore to its old form and width automatically without the use of a touch or repair.

Last edited by rockbound; 11-25-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

If you didn't have the body teched against the rock before the comp why would expect it to be teched that way during?

Some new wording spells it out better, and anything thought to be out of spec will be checked the same way as before the comp. In the case of a smashed body if it returned to shape like Rockbound said its good. If it stays smashed in its returned to the tech area or repaired if the driver agrees its out of spec.

Last edited by Fishmaxx; 11-25-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:05 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
I personally wouldn't count on my body panels being part of my measurement. i would make sure my chassis is legal size with no body panels on, however with the new rule the body panels are counted..
My chassis is legal at the side plates, that picture is an old one. I just wanted to be sure what was allowed in the new rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbound View Post
no because the body rule states that it needs to be full factory width, there is no min measurement.
I think it says 5" minimum width at the center...
Old 11-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My chassis is legal at the side plates, that picture is an old one. I just wanted to be sure what was allowed in the new rules.
you are good to go with no worries then

Quote:
I think it says 5" minimum width at the center...
you are correct, it does have a 5" min.