Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: What keeps you sprung?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What keeps you sprung?

What shocks are you using with your VS4-10?
From what I've been reading (here and bookface), the stock shocks aint great.

Or has anyone got the stockers to perform? Green slime is a must I'm sure.

I have a new to me Origin sitting on my porch!
thanks
raul shabinguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What keeps you sprung?

My friend is using trx4 shocks, they do very well
mud bogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I haven't had any problem at all with the stock shocks.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I haven't had any problem at all with the stock shocks.
That's good to hear. Did you use a heavier than usual oil or do anything different?
Old 03-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I think I have 40 weight oil in mine.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I tried to like the stock shocks but after they leaked twice before they were even used I gave up on them I also didnt feel like they provided very good damping and the spring rates were meh, they could use more spring rates for fine tuning.

I swapped them out for Enduro shocks which are very nice, have great spring rate options and provide excellent damping. I did 3D print my own shock towers that work with these, the stock towers probably wont fit larger diameter shocks due to the way the top mounts.

With all that said everyone has different standards for what they consider good or acceptable, I'm a bit of a shock snob.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

I'm using the Traxxas GTS shocks off of the TRX-4 on my Origin and I am using the Dravtech shocks on my PRO. Either shock will work on both rigs.

On my Origin, I had to Dremel out some material in the plastic shock hoop so the shock spring adjuster would clear.

Origin:
Name:  IMG_2478 (2).jpg
Views: 509
Size:  135.3 KB

PRO:
Name:  IMG_4451 (2).jpg
Views: 502
Size:  101.5 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm using the Traxxas GTS shocks off of the TRX-4 on my Origin and I am using the Dravtech shocks on my PRO. Either shock will work on both rigs.

On my Origin, I had to Dremel out some material in the plastic shock hoop so the shock spring adjuster would clear.

Origin:

Attachment 388055

PRO:

Attachment 388056
Are those the 3.5 or 3.75" DravTechs? REALLY considering ordering a set for my rig. And they look like they clear the shock towers better than most.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Are those the 3.5 or 3.75" DravTechs? REALLY considering ordering a set for my rig. And they look like they clear the shock towers better than most.

They are the 3.5”. Yes, they clear the shock towers.

I had to mount them upside-down because the bottom shock link mount was not tall enough to mount to the axle mount. I hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
They are the 3.5”. Yes, they clear the shock towers.

I had to mount them upside-down because the bottom shock link mount was not tall enough to mount to the axle mount. I hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. Ended up ordering a set the other night. Ordered silver with blue caps and spring cups, a couple spare sets of shafts, and a pile of springs. Ordered a few different lengths of rod ends from Amain with some rebuild kits just in case. One way or another, I'll make them fit.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I’m using the stock shocks on my Pro and some TRX takeoffs on my custom build with trx4 axles and both work fine, the stock shocks are nice enough imo.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the responses.
My Origin was already built when I received it. The shocks cycle smoothly, but there is very little dampening. I may try heavier oil, or just steal my trx4 shocks.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexleblanc View Post
I’m using the stock shocks on my Pro and some TRX takeoffs on my custom build with trx4 axles and both work fine, the stock shocks are nice enough imo.
I've rebuilt the stock Incision shocks 3 times in the time that I've owned my rig and they just keep dumping oil. And that's 3000wt diff oil. And the rig has never left my living room carpet...maybe 15 minutes total run time while programming my ESC and setting end points and trims. And I've tried building them in every configuration I can think of...under vacuum, under pressure, half full just to verify they weren't overfilled. They just keep leaking puddles on my desk. Even bought rebuild kits and swapped the o-rings to make sure they weren't the issue.

These shocks seem to be very hit or miss...some people get a set they never have an issue with, others have nothing but issues.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I've rebuilt the stock Incision shocks 3 times in the time that I've owned my rig and they just keep dumping oil. And that's 3000wt diff oil. And the rig has never left my living room carpet...maybe 15 minutes total run time while programming my ESC and setting end points and trims. And I've tried building them in every configuration I can think of...under vacuum, under pressure, half full just to verify they weren't overfilled. They just keep leaking puddles on my desk. Even bought rebuild kits and swapped the o-rings to make sure they weren't the issue.

These shocks seem to be very hit or miss...some people get a set they never have an issue with, others have nothing but issues.

between what you and humboldtEF have experienced, i am not very inclined to dump that much money into a truck with horrible shocks.
i love the motor/trans setup on the ultra, but... knowing i need to blow another $60+ on shocks before i run it?
casey (HumboldtEF) is on to something with the enduro shocks though (my RTR's are still silky smooth).
and dravtechs look cool upside down! maybe even cooler!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
between what you and humboldtEF have experienced, i am not very inclined to dump that much money into a truck with horrible shocks.

i love the motor/trans setup on the ultra, but... knowing i need to blow another $60+ on shocks before i run it?

casey (HumboldtEF) is on to something with the enduro shocks though (my RTR's are still silky smooth).

and dravtechs look cool upside down! maybe even cooler!
Don't let the shock issue push you away. Even if they sold the kit without shocks, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. It really is THAT good.

Old 04-07-2020, 03:38 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Mine aren’t leaking yet and I’ve put three packs through it up to date, as I type this I’m sure they’re starting to leak..... if they give me trouble I’ll just put some TRX shocks on it too.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:47 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

My ultra has a few hours of run time on it at this point, and so far I haven't noticed much issue out of the shocks. The biggest thing is that I noticed I'd like to try heavier oil in the rear, but overall the truck is a great package.
coffeeaddict17 is offline   Reply With Quote

What keeps you sprung? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sprung vs droop help gsrcivic Axial SCX-10 8 07-07-2012 03:19 PM
R1 - Sprung or Droop? adrians3109 G-Made Crawlers 8 08-17-2010 08:41 PM
Droop or sprung? which way to go? jlmotox Newbie General 1 04-08-2008 12:46 PM
Sprung droop or both ? RaceChat Newbie General 1 01-05-2008 01:17 AM
Sprung Under FJ! CrawlnSlow 2.2 Scale Rigs 34 10-16-2007 09:59 PM