Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: New Vanquish Chassis Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #181
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: New Vanquish Chassis Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Are the machine gears necessary in this transmission?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I'm going to say the sintered gears will last the life of the truck for 95% of the people.
I agree with SVT! I think they will do just fine since these gears are fairly wide and provide more contact points. I think they will be less likely to strip or break than the gears in the 3-gear transmissions.

I ordered the VFD Trans Kit to put in my Origin and I do not plan on changing the gears out right away. I did buy the aluminum standoffs and aluminum motor plate though.
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #182
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Are the machine gears necessary in this transmission?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
We wouldn't release something with gears that would require a necessary upgrade. We have yet to have a sintered gear fail. The testing and time to develop these parts is the reason why the VFD wasn't released right away.

Quote:
I'm going to say the sintered gears will last the life of the truck for 95% of the people.
We found it to be closer to 97.3492%.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #183
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Another consideration is going to a smaller spur to fit a larger pinion. The VS410 Pro manual lists 56/17 as the largest gearing which produces the same gear spacing as 50/23. Going 1 tooth smaller on the pinion (50/22) for a little wiggle room would have the same gear spacing as 56/16 so it should fit within the available mesh space and give you a 47.6:1 ratio at the front and a 57.6:1 ratio at the rear.
Thanks for this information.

I just purchased the VFD trans kit to go with my VS4-10 chassis, and I'm planniing on running TRX-4 axles. I viewed Harley's videos on this subject, and they were very helpful. Then I recreated his spreadsheet that calculates gear ratios and final drive ratios. I am coming up with all sorts of combinations of spur and pinion that will get me right where I want to be in terms of FDR with my TRX-4 axles. I'm just not sure if all of them will work.

So to be safe, right now, I'm looking at running a the 22T pinion with a 50T spur that svt923 suggested:

2.30 (portal) X 3.09 (stock TRX-4 axle) X 2.95 (VFD front trans output) X 2.27 (S&P) = 47.66 FDR Front

2.30 (portal) X 3.09 (stock TRX-4 axle) X 3.15 (VFD rear trans output) X 2.27 (S&P) = 50.89 FDR Rear

That combo would yield the expected 6.56% overdrive, since no OD in the axles, only in the trans. I might also try running UD in the rear axle to get to 57.63 FDR with 18.93% OD total.

That all looks good to me. I'm ready to give that a try. I found a 22T pinion and 50T Spur at the local hobby shop. I assume they will fit. But I am also thinking about trying some other combos. So I was wondering if there is a gearing chart that shows the viable pinion and spur combos that will work with the VFD Trans?

I had someone who owns a VS4-10 Pro look in their manual, and they couldn't find one in their manual.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by boldfin; 09-30-2019 at 09:12 PM.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #184
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post

I had someone who owns a VS4-10 Pro look in their manual, and they couldn't find one in their manual.

Any help would be appreciated.
22T Pinion and 50T spur should fit but its going to be tight. The stock gearing is 15/56T in the pro kit. This would have the same center distance as 21/50T. I need to see if 16/56T works. Just not sure the motor plate slots or clearance on the skid plate will allow it.

I would order a 21T pinion just in case as well.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #185
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
22T Pinion and 50T spur should fit but its going to be tight. The stock gearing is 15/56T in the pro kit. This would have the same center distance as 21/50T. I need to see if 16/56T works. Just not sure the motor plate slots or clearance on the skid plate will allow it.

I would order a 21T pinion just in case as well.
Thanks for the advice on that.

21/50 looks like it will work too:

2.30 (portal) X 3.09 (stock TRX-4 axle) X 2.95 (VFD front trans output) X 2.38 (S&P) = 49.93 FDR Front

2.30 (portal) X 3.09 (stock TRX-4 axle) X 3.15 (VFD rear trans output) X 2.38 (S&P) = 53.32 FDR Rear

BTW - how do you figure out the center distance? Is there a formula or online calculator? Do you start by measuring a known good Spur and Pinion combo? My googling on that subject so far has not yielded good results.

There are some 48T Spur gears on the market, and I already have the 22T pinion. That combo gets me to an almost perfect F/R FDR of 44.43 / 48.86, but I don't know if it will fit.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #186
Quarry Creeper

Built my VFD Trans with a 50T Spur / 21T Pinion.

I'm going to try this first with stock TRX-4 axles. But I also have a 48T Spur that I can go with if I don't like the 50/21 combo. Then I might mess around with OD on the front axle.

Any idea when the additional OD gear sets will be made available for the VFD Trans?
Old 01-06-2020, 10:08 AM   #187

Out of curiosity how much advantage would a vfd trans have over a enduro stealth x transmission. I really like the vfd but with the standard non offset ar44 axles it’s not yet a option for me but I have to buy a trans because I am converting a Cherokee kit scx10.2 to the vs4-10 chassis.
Jarad70stng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:22 AM   #188
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarad70stng View Post
Out of curiosity how much advantage would a vfd trans have over a enduro stealth x transmission. I really like the vfd but with the standard non offset ar44 axles it’s not yet a option for me but I have to buy a trans because I am converting a Cherokee kit scx10.2 to the vs4-10 chassis.
VFD vs Element Trans Pros / Cons:

Pros:
Lower motor position
Forward motor position
With the 21% Overdrive gear set now available you have access to more OD than the element trans
All metal gears
Scale appearance

Cons:
Requires offset front axle
Out of the box the element trans has the option of a higher overdrive
VFD will not work with the included VS4-10 battery tray without modification or purchase of VFD specific battery plates. (See modular chassis system thread here in this section for more info)

Its really up to you and what you want the final outcome of your SCX10 to be.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #189

Quote:
VFD vs Element Trans Pros / Cons:

Pros:
Lower motor position
Forward motor position
With the 21% Overdrive gear set now available you have access to more OD than the element trans
All metal gears
Scale appearance

Cons:
Requires offset front axle
Out of the box the element trans has the option of a higher overdrive
VFD will not work with the included VS4-10 battery tray without modification or purchase of VFD specific battery plates. (See modular chassis system thread here in this section for more info)

Its really up to you and what you want the final outcome of your SCX10 to be.
Thank you Brandon, that was exactly the info I was looking for. I may have to plan my next mods to prepare for the vfd.
Jarad70stng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #190
I wanna be Dave

Like Jarad70stng, I'm also interested in using the VS4-19 Chassis Kit for a build...tho, not for upgrading a kit. I spent a considerable amount of time researching possible chassis kits, as well as just rails. I created a thread, asking for assistance, suggestions, recommendations, etc, from others. I took all this info, to finally narrow down the possibilities to just two...one of which is the VS4-10 Chassis Kit. My plan is to build up from the chassis. Also like Jarad70stng, if I'm to use the VS4-10 chassis, I'm extremely interested in using the VFD transmission. Unfortunately, due to my plans of using portal axles, that appears it might eliminate my ability to use the VFD in this project. I have come up with a possible solution, but I'd first need "confirmation" as to whether, or not, it would work (ie. I wouldn't want to order hundreds of dollars of Vanquish parts, and then have to return the majority of them).

As I understand it, any rear axle can be used...it's only the front that has to be the VPS08370/VPS08371 axles...so, here's what I'm thinking. I'm assuming that, in terms of overall width, the VPS08370/VPS08371 axles are based on the standard SCX10/SCX10.2 AR44 axles, with the only differences being the location of the pumpkin, and the lengths of the left/right driveshafts. If my assumption is correct, then I should be able to use the SSD Portal Knuckles (SSD00220) with the VPS08370/VPS08371 axles, removing the axle stubs from the Vanquish driveshafts, and removing them with the SSD portal axle stubs.

The problem with this idea...based on looking at photos of the SSD & Vanquish driveshafts is that, while the SSD axle stubs attach to the main driveshaft pieces by means of a typical (ie. universal ball-type joint), the Vanquish parts appears to have an entirely different connection type. I need a viable way of running portals...and, if there's no way of attaching portals to the VPS08370/VPS08371 axles, then I'll have no choice but to eliminate the VFD from the build I'm planning. So, what are my options? Can the SSD axle stubs be attached to the VS4-10 front driveshafts? If not, what other option(s) do I have?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Last edited by Panther6834; 01-06-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #191
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post

The problem with this idea...based on looking at photos of the SSD & Vanquish driveshafts is that, while the SSD axle stubs attach to the main driveshaft pieces by means of a typical (ie. universal ball-type joint), the Vanquish parts appears to have an entirely different connection type. I need a viable way of running portals...and, if there's no way of attaching portals to the VPS08370/VPS08371 axles, then I'll have no choice but to eliminate the VFD from the build I'm planning. So, what are my options? Can the SSD axle stubs be attached to the VS4-10 front driveshafts? If not, what other option(s) do I have?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
You will not be able to use the SSD portals with a D44 axle unless you can find offset inner shafts that work with his CVD design. Id be worried about the added width of the portal boxes though.

The TRX4 axles would be the way to go. I've seen it done multiple times, just take some dremel work and an upper link spacer at the front axle. Boldfin's build didnt work out with the extended shock towers and I could tell he didnt want to take the risk of trimming the skid plate for driveshaft clearance. I understand thats not for everyone. The nature of this hobby at times.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #192
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You will not be able to use the SSD portals with a D44 axle unless you can find offset inner shafts that work with his CVD design. Id be worried about the added width of the portal boxes though.

The TRX4 axles would be the way to go. I've seen it done multiple times, just take some dremel work and an upper link spacer at the front axle. Boldfin's build didnt work out with the extended shock towers and I could tell he didnt want to take the risk of trimming the skid plate for driveshaft clearance. I understand thats not for everyone. The nature of this hobby at times.
Thanks, Brandon. Now that I think back, if I remember correctly, I seem to recall someone else mentioning the idea of using the TRX-4 axles with the VS4-10 chassis & VFD, but it was never explained further. While I'm not saying, or indicating, w wouldn't believe what was said by the other person, but, coming from you, I feel more confident that it should be doable. Btw, if you're interested, the other chassis 'finalist' is the GCM C-MAX, but the VS4-10 is still my preferred choice. I haven't even purchased anything for this project...up til now, it was just an idea (ok, more than just an "idea", considering the research some so far)...and I was on the verge of giving up on this idea/project.

Is the front over far enough to not interfere with the VFD skid? Or, if not, approx how much with the Dremel to the skid would clear away enough material for it to work? In regards to the portals, while I knew, from the beginning, that this project would require them, the only reason I was "stuck" on them is because I had already researched them, and will be using them on a 4WS Capra project. Truthfully, for what this project is, I can see the advantages of the diff lockers (the, I have absolutely no clue how to set them up...but, I'd learn quickly).

Old 01-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #193
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Thanks, Brandon. Now that I think back, if I remember correctly, I seem to recall someone else mentioning the idea of using the TRX-4 axles with the VS4-10 chassis & VFD, but it was never explained further.

I've got a pretty detailed description and many photos of the issue with running the VFD with non-VP axles in my build thread:

Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles

As Brandon pointed out, part of my issue was that I wanted to use the extended shock towers. They do a great job of keeping the ride height low when using portals, but the lower ride height also means less clearance for the front links and driveshaft. So if you're OK with a higher COG and ride height, you may be able to get it to work by just using the standard shock towers that come with the VS4-10 chassis kit.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #194
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
I've got a pretty detailed description and many photos of the issue with running the VFD with non-VP axles in my build thread:

Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles

As Brandon pointed out, part of my issue was that I wanted to use the extended shock towers. They do a great job of keeping the ride height low when using portals, but the lower ride height also means less clearance for the front links and driveshaft. So if you're OK with a higher COG and ride height, you may be able to get it to work by just using the standard shock towers that come with the VS4-10 chassis kit.
Thanks. I'm going to read their your thread again, taking extra time to reads the specifics. Just posted a question to you (in your thread).

Old 01-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #195
Rock Stacker

Does anyone know the body Harley used on this build? I'm thinking of a VS4-10 build and would love to add this to my short list of body types. Thanks in advance.

OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #196
Quarry Creeper

I believe it was a Proline power wagon.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp
wouterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:22 AM   #197
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouterb View Post
I believe it was a Proline power wagon.

https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...clear-body.asp
Ahh, yes. TYVM
OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:51 AM   #198

Hello,
Wanted to share that I built my Deadbolt II to a VS4-10 chassis and I'm extremely happy with it, it's so stable and predictable to drive now, and the build went super nice.

One thing I felt was missing was a radio box, so I made a simple design that uses the stock Axial seals and cap and mounted it at the front next to the servo (in place of the winch servo). This is very similar to how the Wraith 1.9 handles the radio box.

I added it to thing verse is someone want to use it.

Last edited by Yonic; 02-25-2020 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Add photo
Yonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #199

I read everything and now I am confused.

I transformed my scx10 2 2017 jeep with this chassis.

Can I put the VFD transmission (later on put the dig unit) but still use the stock AR44
Axle or do I need one with an offset?
Philippe66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:57 PM   #200
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe66 View Post
I read everything and now I am confused.

I transformed my scx10 2 2017 jeep with this chassis.

Can I put the VFD transmission (later on put the dig unit) but still use the stock AR44
Axle or do I need one with an offset?
You will need a offset axle for sure. And using a non VP offset axle would require quite a bit of modifications.
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 04-18-2020 at 04:06 PM.
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

New Vanquish Chassis Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pre-Order Now - New Vanquish VS4-10 Chassis Kit RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 05-20-2019 04:31 PM
VP Chassis Mount Servo Kit/ Panhard Kit? Pita Axial Wraith 54 05-23-2014 09:24 AM