Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Carpetfuzz's VS4-10 PRO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Carpetfuzz's VS4-10 PRO

I started working on the SSD shocks yesterday. They are very well built and the aluminum spring perches collars and caps are a nice touch. The body is slightly bigger than the Incision shock bodies which is was what I wanted. The SSD collars can handle bigger diameter springs from other companies which is going to make tuning that much easier.

The orings are of the xring design. The spacers had no extra flashing on them which is a good thing. Interesting to note the top spacer has a slightly longer collar going into the shock body. Nice to see the extra detail like showing that they that they just didn't use shorter ones and called it day.

As for the look I was going for the shining silver wasn't working so I decided to try something. So far so good

Next up is to reassemble add some VPR shock seal to the seals and add oil. Stay tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

I am really happy on how these turned out. Need to put it all back together now.

Close up of the finish and color

Old 08-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Shocks all built up and filled with oil. I am really pleased on how they turned out. They blend right in now. First the VRP shock seal is very thick and tacky. I was afraid of the shafts sticking but haven't noticed any of that. The shocks feel very smooth using it. If you are looking for something different than AE green slime I would recommend giving it a try. I also recommend the Avid shock slop also.
Second thing I noticed is with the shocks themselves. At full compression the piston hits the bottom of the cap. Not a big deal a couple orings on the shaft took care of that. Overall the shocks are very good quality. Would highly recommend this to anyone. Next to get them installed.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #44
Im Brandon

Can you post a comparison pic next to an Incision shock? Curious how much, if any up-travel you will be losing. The length of the shock body vs. exposed shaft looks significant.

We developed the Incision shock and tried to achieve the most travel possible from a 90mm length while still retaining a bladder.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:15 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Can you post a comparison pic next to an Incision shock? Curious how much, if any up-travel you will be losing. The length of the shock body vs. exposed shaft looks significant.

We developed the Incision shock and tried to achieve the most travel possible from a 90mm length while still retaining a bladder.
No problem. I never thought to check that side by side. The only reason I changed was body diameter and spring diameter. I personally prefer the "big bore" bodies and shocks. Really want to to see pistons with holes like the AE ones.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

I was a little worried that the coating on the shocks was going to foul and peel/flake off when the adjuster collars were threaded on, but it looks like that wasn't the case - very nice outcome!

So...

What did you use for a finish?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I was a little worried that the coating on the shocks was going to foul and peel/flake off when the adjuster collars were threaded on, but it looks like that wasn't the case - very nice outcome!

So...

What did you use for a finish?

After I finished spraying them I left them sit outside all day in the shade but was still warm outside. Brought them inside for the night. The next day placed inside of a hot car for half a day and brought them back in the house to sit. I have no issues adjusting the collars. Before I sprayed them I did wipe them electronic parts cleaner to remove any oils that may have been left behind from the manufacturing process.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Here you go Brandon. Not that much of a difference that I would really notice. Nothing really wrong with the Incision shocks they look like they are great quality I just prefer a larger diameter body and spring.

SSD left Incision right

SSD length

Incision length

SSD

Incision

Old 08-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Did a quick inspection last night after reading a couple issues and appears that I have fallen victim to the dreaded rear axle pin issue also time to send off an email. Is this a problem that is plaguing all the Pro kits?

Old 08-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #50
Go Buckeyes!

Yep, looks like you have the same problem. I had a lot of side to side play which allowed the hex pin to rub on the bearing cap.

I have only seen a few people mention that they had this problem, so not sure if it is an issue with all of them.

It's good that VP knows about this and they will get you taken care of quickly. My new axle shafts arrived in a couple days.

Oh and nice looking shocks! The paint turned out great!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:11 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yep, looks like you have the same problem. I had a lot of side to side play which allowed the hex pin to rub on the bearing cap.

I have only seen a few people mention that they had this problem, so not sure if it is an issue with all of them.

It's good that VP knows about this and they will get you taken care of quickly. My new axle shafts arrived in a couple days.

Oh and nice looking shocks! The paint turned out great!
Thanks buddy I am really pleased that how well they turned out. I was worried about the threads but actually have no issues with them at all.

Already contacted VP about the issue.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:23 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

So this past weekend was the RC4WD East Coast Scale Challenge here in western PA. The weather was fantastic for the event. The trails and obstacles looked great. The lines were long but I didn't hear any complaints as everyone was enjoying themselves. A couple of vendors were there and was able to score a couple good deals but more on those later. There was a decent amount of VS4 Pro's running. Here's a taste of what was going on.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:40 PM   #53
Go Buckeyes!

Looks like it was a good time! That terrain looks awesome. It reminds me of a few places I've ran up in NE Ohio.

I really wanted to go to it, but I had too much going on here to get away for the weekend. A few of my crawling friends here from Ohio went to it. They had a blast!
Old 08-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looks like it was a good time! That terrain looks awesome. It reminds me of a few places I've ran up in NE Ohio.

I really wanted to go to it, but I had too much going on here to get away for the weekend. A few of my crawling friends here from Ohio went to it. They had a blast!
I did see lots of Ohio plates. The weather couldn't have been better. There was no bugs biting down on the trails. People really seemed to be enjoying themselves. It was probably in the mid 60's down in the woods.

It's really a good cooperation between RC4WD and the camp ground that it is held at. So many people being introduced to the RC world in a laid back setting really makes it special. I know people were knocking the Axial 1/24 Deadbolt and the little yeti side by side but campers were picking them up and playing and laughing. That is what is going to keep the hobby growing. At times while standing there watching I answered several questions from campers who were curious. The on site hobby shop did very well
Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Picked this up over the weekend. Got a price on it that I couldn't pass up.

I have never owned a servo winch before so my question is there anything with the way I am running the cable? Should I be doing something different? Any advice is appreciated.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #56
Im Brandon

Could you flip it the other way so the spool/line is in line with the guide in the chassis brace and bumper?

It might hit the panhard link on up travel, maybe you could space it up until it just barely clears?
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Could you flip it the other way so the spool/line is in line with the guide in the chassis brace and bumper?

It might hit the panhard link on up travel, maybe you could space it up until it just barely clears?
Thanks for the idea I was kinda thinking about trying that. I guess I should have grabbed the low profile servo instead it's hard to pass up a good deal I believe that the low profile was even cheaper
Old 08-26-2019, 02:15 PM   #58
Go Buckeyes!

I’m not sure how well that type of servo winch will work. I think in order for it to work right you would need to rig up something to keep the winch line in the center of the spool. By doing that though, the line may be too high to angle back down to a fairlead.

I’m using a homemade servo winch with the spool under the front brace. This way let’s the line run under the chassis brace out to the fairlead.

This is what mine looks like on my Origin with the Wertymade bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I’m not sure how well that type of servo winch will work. I think in order for it to work right you would need to rig up something to keep the winch line in the center of the spool. By doing that though, the line may be too high to angle back down to a fairlead.

I’m using a homemade servo winch with the spool under the front brace. This way let’s the line run under the chassis brace out to the fairlead.

This is what mine looks like on my Origin with the Wertymade bumper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was thinking of trying a drum on the bottom also. Thanks for the ideas
Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

I took Brandon's advice. Messed around with some spacers I have in the bin. I have a more direct line to the brace channel and out through the bumper. I have enough room underneath that the links don't hit.Don't mind the screws still testing. Any thoughts on this?

Carpetfuzz's VS4-10 PRO - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VS4 for the 1.9 noob mikemcE Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 137 04-09-2020 10:01 PM
Vanquish Products VS4-10 Pro Kit - IN STOCK!! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-22-2019 09:41 AM
Pre-Order Now - Vanquish Products VS4-10 Pro Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-18-2019 11:17 AM
Carpetfuzz's Venture SBK carpetfuzz17 HPI Venture 42 04-10-2019 01:32 AM