Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: VFD Dig Unit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: VFD Dig Unit

Your wiring is so clean!
doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2020, 09:51 AM   #22
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.hamilton View Post
Your wiring is so clean!
Thanks if you are talking about mine!

I'm kinda of a neat freak when it comes to wiring!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Hey Brian,
What’s the material you use to cover the wires?

Cheers
Todd
Old 03-30-2020, 03:42 AM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Default VFD Dig Unit

Quote:
Hey Brian,
What’s the material you use to cover the wires?

Cheers
Todd

I used this from Amazon. And used heat shrink tubing on the ends.

Alex Tech 10ft - 1/8 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Charger Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FWCJ7QF..._w6BGEbJQQ9A30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Thanks Brian!
Old 10-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Your wiring is so clean!
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Thanks if you are talking about mine!

I'm kinda of a neat freak when it comes to wiring!
Waves fingers, Chants incoherant nonsense...

*POOF* Thread from the Grave!

Screw the Wiring, that SHOP is either mental disorder or amazing! I'm saying amazing, seriously took me a moment to realize what I was looking at. (Only a moment, I'm old)

Would have been mental illness if the pallet had been aged, dirty. Seriously though, it's proper art, and lovely to look at.

I'm just returning to RC after a... ahem, 30 year absence. Bought a TRX-4 Bronco for "Childhood Dream" reasons about 2 months ago. Immediately set to replacing, wrenching, building, and HOLYSH&$ $$$ spending. Nobody told me it would be this bad.

Bad enough that Vanquish kits suddenly made actual sense. So now there's a freshly completely Pro, an Ultra is next, and I see your set up here and think "I know nothing", and that's really cool.

So to the topic, I installed the Dig with a Reef's 299 LP driving it. Got it all set up, but it hesitates fully engaging to the rear, it locks the rear just fine but there's like 3mm of travel left, and I can hear the Servo singing. Makes me wonder if the Reefs is "reefing" on it too hard. Might be worth dialing back the "oomph" of the 299 LP maybe?

Anyway, too much caffeine and I'm over excited on a Sunday...

Great Work, Great Product pics, Cheers.
Merovean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #27
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovean View Post
Waves fingers, Chants incoherant nonsense...

*POOF* Thread from the Grave!

Screw the Wiring, that SHOP is either mental disorder or amazing! I'm saying amazing, seriously took me a moment to realize what I was looking at. (Only a moment, I'm old)

Would have been mental illness if the pallet had been aged, dirty. Seriously though, it's proper art, and lovely to look at.

I'm just returning to RC after a... ahem, 30 year absence. Bought a TRX-4 Bronco for "Childhood Dream" reasons about 2 months ago. Immediately set to replacing, wrenching, building, and HOLYSH&$ $$$ spending. Nobody told me it would be this bad.

Bad enough that Vanquish kits suddenly made actual sense. So now there's a freshly completely Pro, an Ultra is next, and I see your set up here and think "I know nothing", and that's really cool.

So to the topic, I installed the Dig with a Reef's 299 LP driving it. Got it all set up, but it hesitates fully engaging to the rear, it locks the rear just fine but there's like 3mm of travel left, and I can hear the Servo singing. Makes me wonder if the Reefs is "reefing" on it too hard. Might be worth dialing back the "oomph" of the 299 LP maybe?

Anyway, too much caffeine and I'm over excited on a Sunday...

Great Work, Great Product pics, Cheers.
Hey thanks, Merovean!

So the pallet is still new and has been garage kept! I'll have to set it outside for awhile to get it weathered and aged!

Welcome back to this great hobby! It took many years off also until I jumped back in and bought my first rig a few years ago! And yes, the R/C addiction causes the money to flow and the wallet to get thin pretty quick!

Yeah, the VP kits are expensive, but totally worth the money! They are basically upgraded right out of the box. Not much to add to them after they are built. Sadly I have more money invested in my Traxxas TRX-4 than I do in my VS4-10 PRO!

It sounds like your Reef's servo needs the endpoints set. On mine, once I set the enpoints, the DIG works great and my cheapy servo is dead silent when engaged.

Check out my build thread hear: B-MOW goes PRO with the VS4-10 if you want to see more.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Hey thanks, Merovean!

So the pallet is still new and has been garage kept! I'll have to set it outside for awhile to get it weathered and aged!

Welcome back to this great hobby! It took many years off also until I jumped back in and bought my first rig a few years ago! And yes, the R/C addiction causes the money to flow and the wallet to get thin pretty quick!

Yeah, the VP kits are expensive, but totally worth the money! They are basically upgraded right out of the box. Not much to add to them after they are built. Sadly I have more money invested in my Traxxas TRX-4 than I do in my VS4-10 PRO!

It sounds like your Reef's servo needs the endpoints set. On mine, once I set the enpoints, the DIG works great and my cheapy servo is dead silent when engaged.

Check out my build thread hear: B-MOW goes PRO with the VS4-10 if you want to see more.
Yeah, I'm learning quickly that this isn't going to cost much less than the other hobbies, though batteries are way cheaper than ammo.

I went through my end points, (only took about 3 hours over two evenings with the Spektrum 5 Rugged which was/is also completely unknown). If I can get the "lock" position to fully settle/engage it pulls the lever to just about 2mm shy of the housing, but that's been a big if, for now I set the "rear lock" position to momentary anyway, just to make sure I can engage it briefly, but not smoke a nice servo. The other two dig positions are perfect, after much frustration learning the transmitters um... "peculiarities".

I might try dialing the power back on the servo as well, cut it down to half, see if it's just being too rough.

Steering servo is a Protec 370TBL and it's GTG. Endpoints were easy and once I removed and re-centered the servo horn, everything is nice and straight.

I'm going to keep fiddling, will likely pull the dig, check for burs on dogs. If that doesn't square it all away, THEN I'll take it to the Guru's at my local and let them tell me what I missed.

Thanks for the help, and yeah that shop set up is awesome.

Cheers
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

I had issues getting the third - locked - position set whilst having the chassis on the bench. With some wheels on and driving that got sorted. The clutch obviously needs some force coming from the driveline.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToCrawl View Post
I had issues getting the third - locked - position set whilst having the chassis on the bench. With some wheels on and driving that got sorted. The clutch obviously needs some force coming from the driveline.

Yes, having the rear wheels turning helps, but I still have the same situation. Where NORMAL MODE (EASY), OPEN (Easy), LOCKED (EASY... MOSTLY).

It locks the rears 100% BUT, my concern is that the servo's end points are set with additional engagement. So when the dig hangs in the rear position without seating fully that servo is just singing.

I'm going to pull the dig apart, check for burs, I know I mentioned doing this a few weeks ago but I got distracted with a Father in Law 70 years old, getting himself a TRX-4, so we've been out in the desert beating the hell out of TRX4s.

Will post if I learn anything interesting.

Full disclosure, total crawling/RC Newb, so it's likely that I'm missing something obvious.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

A crying servo depends on the servo was my lesson to learn. The Savox1256 is a crybaby, I had to change him to a SB-2292SG what is kind of crazy running this for a dig only. There must be something in between.

ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:22 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Anyone know when these will be back in stock?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:16 AM   #33

Finally got the dig unit installed and set up, tight fit! I currently have mine set to a 2 position locked/unlocked and my servo is quite warm just from setting the end points and playing with it a little bit. Is this unit meant to be engaged while the vehicle is moving? I assume so because if I hit the switch and the mechanism inside isn't lined up it will just jam and the servo will suffer. Anyone have any advice as far as proper way to operate this thing? I do have the end points set just about perfect as far as I can tell. Thank you for the help...
Bash Lab RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash Lab RC View Post
Finally got the dig unit installed and set up, tight fit! I currently have mine set to a 2 position locked/unlocked and my servo is quite warm just from setting the end points and playing with it a little bit. Is this unit meant to be engaged while the vehicle is moving? I assume so because if I hit the switch and the mechanism inside isn't lined up it will just jam and the servo will suffer. Anyone have any advice as far as proper way to operate this thing? I do have the end points set just about perfect as far as I can tell. Thank you for the help...
The servo should never be working hard. All it has to do is move a lever. Yes, you should move enough for the dig to fully engage in either position.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:43 AM   #35

I noticed while playing with it briefly that my servo got quite warm after a short time and what I am imagining is that it was binding up when the cog (dog?) inside isn't lined up just right with the splines when the vehicle is stopped (sitting on my desk). If I hit the button when the vehicle is stopped and it jams internally I have to guess the servo is very unhappy during this period... but then I hit the throttle will it then pop into place and be fine once it gets going? Thank you for the help and quick reply DRED805, much appreciated! **EDIT So, after messing with it a bit it looks like I had the end point set incorrectly for the rear locked position. Even though the arm was not hitting the dig case or the servo horn was not hitting anything, internally something must have been over extended. After some practice on the floor I can see that even if it is unlocked and doesn't initially seat in, once the rig is moving it does CLICK into place and the back wheels once again start to spin. Servo is no longer getting hot and I'm happy I didn't just burn up $100 :-)

Last edited by Bash Lab RC; 01-08-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

I fried a good servo in the process of setting mine up. I wish the servo link was spring loaded or the dog had ramps that would make it enage a bit easier. Like you I had the end points right but one of the times I powered everything up the servo didn't engage the dogs properly and I was messing with my winch and distracted. Then my mamba X started to beep and I smeeled something hot.

At least a-main warrantied the protek servo I fried.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:13 PM   #37
RCC Addict

My vfd dig took a little bit of actual use to break in.

You don’t have to set the end points quite as far as you first think, and it definitely helps to apply throttle, or rotate the rear tires as needed to help get everything set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:13 AM   #38

Thank you guys for the insight, much appreciated.

VFD Dig Unit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish Products VFD Hurtz Dig - Pre-Order! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-08-2019 04:57 PM
r2 dig trans with dig unit scx10 1320king 1.9 Scale Rigs 3 01-03-2012 01:54 AM
dig unit demonoid369 HPI Wheely King 7 03-12-2009 12:08 AM
Dig Unit Greenman Newbie General 3 09-06-2008 10:58 PM