RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/)
-   -   VFD Dig Unit (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/610865-vfd-dig-unit.html)

svt923 08-09-2019 11:44 AM

VFD Dig Unit

Dig in with your VS4-10 Pro!

https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-1pjn...0.1000.jpg?c=2

Available in black or clear but not without excavation related puns.

Can you dig it!

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vfd-hurtz-dig-black/

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vfd-hurtz-dig-clear/

Harley 08-09-2019 12:13 PM

Re: VFD Dig Unit

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5955452)
Dig in with your VS4-10 Pro!

Available in black or clear but not without excavation related puns.

Can you dig it!

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vfd-hurtz-dig-black/

https://www.vanquishproducts.com/vfd-hurtz-dig-clear/

I don’t understand your joke, I’ll have to dig a little deeper.

svt923 08-09-2019 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley (Post 5955461)
I don’t understand your joke, I’ll have to dig a little deeper.

Is that some kind of dig at me?

I'm in-dig-nant over this!

B-MOW71 08-09-2019 02:17 PM

I’m digging it![emoji106] Now I need to dig into my wallet and scoop one up![emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carpetfuzz17 08-10-2019 12:04 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cd42f9b68f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siggy 08-11-2019 12:24 AM

Want One! I hope RCMart get the soon. Cheaper shipping to SG! Thanks!

JatoTheRipper 02-14-2020 06:49 AM

For those of you that have the Hurtz dig installed on a Pro or Ultra, please share photos.

B-MOW71 02-14-2020 07:18 AM

6 Attachment(s)
This is all that I have at the moment. I can get more after work.

Attachment 387249

Attachment 387250

Attachment 387251

Attachment 387252

Attachment 387253

Attachment 387254

JatoTheRipper 02-14-2020 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 5998355)
This is all that I have at the moment. I can get more after work.

That's perfect! Thanks a lot. "thumbsup"

Just have to decide if I want black or clear...and wait for them to come back in stock.

B-MOW71 02-14-2020 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5998356)
That's perfect! Thanks a lot. "thumbsup"

Just have to decide if I want black or clear...and wait for them to come back in stock.

Your welcome! Anytime!"thumbsup"

I decided to go with the clear to match my axles. Plus, I find that the clear doesn't show the dirt as well and is easier to clean.

But, I love the black look and it would look great bolted up to the VFD trans!

I got lucky when I purchased mine. I saw VP post on FB that said they were in stock, so I jumped on it got it ordered.

JatoTheRipper 02-14-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 5998369)
Your welcome! Anytime!"thumbsup"

I decided to go with the clear to match my axles. Plus, I find that the clear doesn't show the dirt as well and is easier to clean.

But, I love the black look and it would look great bolted up to the VFD trans!

I got lucky when I purchased mine. I saw VP post on FB that said they were in stock, so I jumped on it got it ordered.

I have the same thinking. Clear would match my axles, etc, but black would match the VFD.

I'm contemplating pre-ordering them at AMain, but I'm not sure where they rank in terms of getting stock.

Brandon 02-18-2020 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5998379)
I have the same thinking. Clear would match my axles, etc, but black would match the VFD.

I'm contemplating pre-ordering them at AMain, but I'm not sure where they rank in terms of getting stock.

They will be in stock on VP and at most dealers again very soon. Whether or not dealers get them depends on their ordering.

JatoTheRipper 02-19-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 5999217)
They will be in stock on VP and at most dealers again very soon. Whether or not dealers get them depends on their ordering.

Thanks. I got one. Somebody on here was selling a NIP clear version.

drneptune 03-02-2020 08:13 AM

Did anyone else receive their dig unit with no rear output shaft in the pre-assembled back dig housing?https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwovctSPhr6Z6uk47

JatoTheRipper 03-02-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drneptune (Post 6001961)
Did anyone else receive their dig unit with no rear output shaft in the pre-assembled back dig housing?https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwovctSPhr6Z6uk47

Welcome to the site. Just an FYI I can't see your photo embedded. It was only after I quoted you that I saw there's a hidden photo link. I never had Google Drive or Google Photos photo links to work consistently.

Anyway, my dig arrived just fine. I would reach out to Vanquish and they'll make it right ASAP.

sherbs 03-02-2020 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5999281)
Thanks. I got one. Somebody on here was selling a NIP clear version.

Bum, You beat me to it! Mods are supposed to be last on the list, LOL.

drneptune 03-02-2020 10:21 AM

Thanks, Jato. I did reach out to VP first as I didn't want to seem as though I were throwing shade. Just thought I'd put the question out on the forum to see if my case was an outlier, or indicative of a bigger issue on the assembly/QC side of things.

Learnin' & lurkin' here since '09, btw, just not particularly verbose.

angrybeagles 03-21-2020 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drneptune (Post 6001961)

I did. Didn't notice until the whole thing was together on the trans :roll:

Anyway Vanquish support gave me a tracking number for the replacement bits like 5 minutes after I sent them an email, good enough for me!

ICHItheKILLER 03-25-2020 09:16 PM

I just received my VFD Hurtz dig. I’m installing it in my ultra. Do I need to do anything but just drop it in and go?

HumboldtEF 03-25-2020 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICHItheKILLER (Post 6007529)
I just received my VFD Hurtz dig. I’m installing it in my ultra. Do I need to do anything but just drop it in and go?

With the pro all I needed was a servo horn. I would assume the Ultra is the same.

doc.hamilton 03-28-2020 09:45 AM

Your wiring is so clean!

B-MOW71 03-28-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc.hamilton (Post 6008193)
Your wiring is so clean!

Thanks if you are talking about mine!"thumbsup"

I'm kinda of a neat freak when it comes to wiring!:ror:

doc.hamilton 03-29-2020 01:01 PM

Hey Brian,
What’s the material you use to cover the wires?

Cheers
Todd

B-MOW71 03-30-2020 03:42 AM

VFD Dig Unit

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc.hamilton (Post 6008578)
Hey Brian,
What’s the material you use to cover the wires?

Cheers
Todd

I used this from Amazon. And used heat shrink tubing on the ends.

Alex Tech 10ft - 1/8 inch Cord Protector Wire Loom Tubing Cable Sleeve Split Sleeving For USB Charger Cable Power Cord Audio Video Cable – Protect Cat From Chewing Cords - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FWCJ7QF..._w6BGEbJQQ9A30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doc.hamilton 03-31-2020 08:29 AM

Thanks Brian!

Merovean 10-18-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc.hamilton (Post 6008193)
Your wiring is so clean!

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 6008196)
Thanks if you are talking about mine!"thumbsup"

I'm kinda of a neat freak when it comes to wiring!:ror:

Waves fingers, Chants incoherant nonsense...

*POOF* Thread from the Grave!

__________:badger:________

Screw the Wiring, that SHOP is either mental disorder or amazing! I'm saying amazing, seriously took me a moment to realize what I was looking at. (Only a moment, I'm old)

Would have been mental illness if the pallet had been aged, dirty. Seriously though, it's proper art, and lovely to look at. "thumbsup"

I'm just returning to RC after a... ahem, 30 year absence. Bought a TRX-4 Bronco for "Childhood Dream" reasons about 2 months ago. Immediately set to replacing, wrenching, building, and HOLYSH&$ $$$ spending. Nobody told me it would be this bad.

Bad enough that Vanquish kits suddenly made actual sense. So now there's a freshly completely Pro, an Ultra is next, and I see your set up here and think "I know nothing", and that's really cool.

So to the topic, I installed the Dig with a Reef's 299 LP driving it. Got it all set up, but it hesitates fully engaging to the rear, it locks the rear just fine but there's like 3mm of travel left, and I can hear the Servo singing. Makes me wonder if the Reefs is "reefing" on it too hard. Might be worth dialing back the "oomph" of the 299 LP maybe?

Anyway, too much caffeine and I'm over excited on a Sunday...

Great Work, Great Product pics, Cheers. "thumbsup"

B-MOW71 10-20-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Merovean (Post 6049112)
Waves fingers, Chants incoherant nonsense...

*POOF* Thread from the Grave!

__________:badger:________

Screw the Wiring, that SHOP is either mental disorder or amazing! I'm saying amazing, seriously took me a moment to realize what I was looking at. (Only a moment, I'm old)

Would have been mental illness if the pallet had been aged, dirty. Seriously though, it's proper art, and lovely to look at. "thumbsup"

I'm just returning to RC after a... ahem, 30 year absence. Bought a TRX-4 Bronco for "Childhood Dream" reasons about 2 months ago. Immediately set to replacing, wrenching, building, and HOLYSH&$ $$$ spending. Nobody told me it would be this bad.

Bad enough that Vanquish kits suddenly made actual sense. So now there's a freshly completely Pro, an Ultra is next, and I see your set up here and think "I know nothing", and that's really cool.

So to the topic, I installed the Dig with a Reef's 299 LP driving it. Got it all set up, but it hesitates fully engaging to the rear, it locks the rear just fine but there's like 3mm of travel left, and I can hear the Servo singing. Makes me wonder if the Reefs is "reefing" on it too hard. Might be worth dialing back the "oomph" of the 299 LP maybe?

Anyway, too much caffeine and I'm over excited on a Sunday...

Great Work, Great Product pics, Cheers. "thumbsup"

:lmao: Hey thanks, Merovean!"thumbsup"

So the pallet is still new and has been garage kept!:ror: I'll have to set it outside for awhile to get it weathered and aged!

Welcome back to this great hobby! It took many years off also until I jumped back in and bought my first rig a few years ago! And yes, the R/C addiction causes the money to flow and the wallet to get thin pretty quick!:ror:

Yeah, the VP kits are expensive, but totally worth the money! They are basically upgraded right out of the box. Not much to add to them after they are built. Sadly I have more money invested in my Traxxas TRX-4 than I do in my VS4-10 PRO!

It sounds like your Reef's servo needs the endpoints set. On mine, once I set the enpoints, the DIG works great and my cheapy servo is dead silent when engaged.

Check out my build thread hear: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanqu...-vs4-10-a.html if you want to see more.;-)

Merovean 10-21-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 6049303)
:lmao: Hey thanks, Merovean!"thumbsup"

So the pallet is still new and has been garage kept!:ror: I'll have to set it outside for awhile to get it weathered and aged!

Welcome back to this great hobby! It took many years off also until I jumped back in and bought my first rig a few years ago! And yes, the R/C addiction causes the money to flow and the wallet to get thin pretty quick!:ror:

Yeah, the VP kits are expensive, but totally worth the money! They are basically upgraded right out of the box. Not much to add to them after they are built. Sadly I have more money invested in my Traxxas TRX-4 than I do in my VS4-10 PRO!

It sounds like your Reef's servo needs the endpoints set. On mine, once I set the enpoints, the DIG works great and my cheapy servo is dead silent when engaged.

Check out my build thread hear: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanqu...-vs4-10-a.html if you want to see more.;-)

Yeah, I'm learning quickly that this isn't going to cost much less than the other hobbies, though batteries are way cheaper than ammo.

I went through my end points, (only took about 3 hours over two evenings with the Spektrum 5 Rugged which was/is also completely unknown). If I can get the "lock" position to fully settle/engage it pulls the lever to just about 2mm shy of the housing, but that's been a big if, for now I set the "rear lock" position to momentary anyway, just to make sure I can engage it briefly, but not smoke a nice servo. The other two dig positions are perfect, after much frustration learning the transmitters um... "peculiarities".

I might try dialing the power back on the servo as well, cut it down to half, see if it's just being too rough.

Steering servo is a Protec 370TBL and it's GTG. Endpoints were easy and once I removed and re-centered the servo horn, everything is nice and straight.

I'm going to keep fiddling, will likely pull the dig, check for burs on dogs. If that doesn't square it all away, THEN I'll take it to the Guru's at my local and let them tell me what I missed.

Thanks for the help, and yeah that shop set up is awesome.

Cheers "thumbsup"

ToCrawl 10-21-2020 09:23 PM

I had issues getting the third - locked - position set whilst having the chassis on the bench. With some wheels on and driving that got sorted. The clutch obviously needs some force coming from the driveline.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Merovean 11-05-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToCrawl (Post 6049597)
I had issues getting the third - locked - position set whilst having the chassis on the bench. With some wheels on and driving that got sorted. The clutch obviously needs some force coming from the driveline.

Yes, having the rear wheels turning helps, but I still have the same situation. Where NORMAL MODE (EASY), OPEN (Easy), LOCKED (EASY... MOSTLY).

It locks the rears 100% BUT, my concern is that the servo's end points are set with additional engagement. So when the dig hangs in the rear position without seating fully that servo is just singing.

I'm going to pull the dig apart, check for burs, I know I mentioned doing this a few weeks ago but I got distracted with a Father in Law 70 years old, getting himself a TRX-4, so we've been out in the desert beating the hell out of TRX4s.

Will post if I learn anything interesting.

Full disclosure, total crawling/RC Newb, so it's likely that I'm missing something obvious.

ToCrawl 11-05-2020 07:00 PM

A crying servo depends on the servo ;-) was my lesson to learn. The Savox1256 is a crybaby, I had to change him to a SB-2292SG what is kind of crazy running this for a dig only. There must be something in between.

TK421 11-25-2020 09:22 PM

Anyone know when these will be back in stock?

Lou

Bash Lab RC 01-08-2022 10:16 AM

Finally got the dig unit installed and set up, tight fit! I currently have mine set to a 2 position locked/unlocked and my servo is quite warm just from setting the end points and playing with it a little bit. Is this unit meant to be engaged while the vehicle is moving? I assume so because if I hit the switch and the mechanism inside isn't lined up it will just jam and the servo will suffer. Anyone have any advice as far as proper way to operate this thing? I do have the end points set just about perfect as far as I can tell. Thank you for the help...

DRED805 01-08-2022 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bash Lab RC (Post 6103996)
Finally got the dig unit installed and set up, tight fit! I currently have mine set to a 2 position locked/unlocked and my servo is quite warm just from setting the end points and playing with it a little bit. Is this unit meant to be engaged while the vehicle is moving? I assume so because if I hit the switch and the mechanism inside isn't lined up it will just jam and the servo will suffer. Anyone have any advice as far as proper way to operate this thing? I do have the end points set just about perfect as far as I can tell. Thank you for the help...

The servo should never be working hard. All it has to do is move a lever. Yes, you should move enough for the dig to fully engage in either position.

Bash Lab RC 01-08-2022 10:43 AM

I noticed while playing with it briefly that my servo got quite warm after a short time and what I am imagining is that it was binding up when the cog (dog?) inside isn't lined up just right with the splines when the vehicle is stopped (sitting on my desk). If I hit the button when the vehicle is stopped and it jams internally I have to guess the servo is very unhappy during this period... but then I hit the throttle will it then pop into place and be fine once it gets going? Thank you for the help and quick reply DRED805, much appreciated! **EDIT So, after messing with it a bit it looks like I had the end point set incorrectly for the rear locked position. Even though the arm was not hitting the dig case or the servo horn was not hitting anything, internally something must have been over extended. After some practice on the floor I can see that even if it is unlocked and doesn't initially seat in, once the rig is moving it does CLICK into place and the back wheels once again start to spin. Servo is no longer getting hot and I'm happy I didn't just burn up $100 :-)

terrible 01-08-2022 05:13 PM

I fried a good servo in the process of setting mine up. I wish the servo link was spring loaded or the dog had ramps that would make it enage a bit easier. Like you I had the end points right but one of the times I powered everything up the servo didn't engage the dogs properly and I was messing with my winch and distracted. Then my mamba X started to beep and I smeeled something hot.

At least a-main warrantied the protek servo I fried.

twade984 01-08-2022 07:13 PM

My vfd dig took a little bit of actual use to break in.

You don’t have to set the end points quite as far as you first think, and it definitely helps to apply throttle, or rotate the rear tires as needed to help get everything set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bash Lab RC 01-09-2022 10:13 AM

Thank you guys for the insight, much appreciated.