Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Codyboys 4-10 PRO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #21
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Codyboys 4-10 PRO

That is SWEET!!! That rear bar is a great lookin piece of work!! your engineering and work is simply amazing! I'm learning just by watching, thank you!!!
brian
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

I like the roll bar, nice and simple. Paint also came out amazing
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:14 PM   #23
Go Buckeyes!

Love the roll bar! Great job!

That is exactly what this body needs. I was thinking about adding one to mine, but haven't figured out the design yet.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
That looks awesome ernie!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepilot View Post
That is SWEET!!! That rear bar is a great lookin piece of work!! your engineering and work is simply amazing! I'm learning just by watching, thank you!!!
brian
Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you mentioned that our threads are learning experiences for you! That is the main reason we take the time to do them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I like the roll bar, nice and simple. Paint also came out amazing
Thanks Casey, it was so hard for me to keep it simple, but I was being conscious of COG factors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Love the roll bar! Great job!

That is exactly what this body needs. I was thinking about adding one to mine, but haven't figured out the design yet.
Thanks B, I kept looking at the body and it just needed something to change the profile a little.
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:11 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Really digging the looks now with the lights, door handles and other details. That roll bar looks great! It really added to the truck! You say the black showing through was a mistake, but I kinda like it. Thanks for the pics on the rocks! Now time to crawl it to those spots Extremely stoked on the axle Ernie! Can't wait to have it in hand. Gonna have Joss open up the box. She's going to be stoked as well. She's been asking about when we were going out to the trail again. Maybe it'll give us a pass to sneek out there for a couple hours this weekend. She must have some kind of brain power. She was sleeping when I was texting you last night. Then she asked this morning when Mr Ernie is gonna come back and play and if you'd bring your trucks again. Kids are something else. Hope you guys get to make a trip back down soon! Maybe this time it'll be the weekend when you're around and I'm not at work. So maybe we can go get some crawling in.
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Really digging the looks now with the lights, door handles and other details. That roll bar looks great! It really added to the truck! You say the black showing through was a mistake, but I kinda like it. Thanks for the pics on the rocks! Now time to crawl it to those spots Extremely stoked on the axle Ernie! Can't wait to have it in hand. Gonna have Joss open up the box. She's going to be stoked as well. She's been asking about when we were going out to the trail again. Maybe it'll give us a pass to sneek out there for a couple hours this weekend. She must have some kind of brain power. She was sleeping when I was texting you last night. Then she asked this morning when Mr Ernie is gonna come back and play and if you'd bring your trucks again. Kids are something else. Hope you guys get to make a trip back down soon! Maybe this time it'll be the weekend when you're around and I'm not at work. So maybe we can go get some crawling in.
Thanks Justin!

Just a little update on some rear axle mods!

OK Harley, you started my wheels turning, thanks!

I've been giving this some thought and spent the last couple days crunching numbers ( and believe me that is scary with my limited math background) and thinking design. I want to try a SSDs portal axle on the rear of my PRO. Why? For the same reason that Harley scared some of you off from trying it. The biggest 2 is reverse rotation and to high of a overdrive.
So I think I have it figured out, but I need help from you Mathematic whizzes, or just someone who understands the numbers better than I!!

Reverse rotation, With the SSD diamond axle housing the gears are reversible, that problem fixed!
Now the big one I need help with, can someone check my math and see if it is correct??? Here is what I've come up with.

20% overdrive looks pretty appealing.

Just a little food for thought.

And with the 27x8 ring and pinion ratio of 3.375:1 it can be played with even more.
Take a look and let me know what you come up with.
Ernie
Old 09-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'm also getting a bit mushy in the head thinking about that math, but it does seem a little off to me and I cant quite put my finger on it. I think the Transmission ratio should be left out as its the same for both ends, I think you'd only use the transfer case, ring and pinion and the portals for the calculation.

I have a piece of scratch paper with all kinds of chicken scratch on it but I just keep coming back to the numbers we're working with being off (I think because of the transmission being included maybe).
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'm also getting a bit mushy in the head thinking about that math, but it does seem a little off to me and I cant quite put my finger on it. I think the Transmission ratio should be left out as its the same for both ends, I think you'd only use the transfer case, ring and pinion and the portals for the calculation.

I have a piece of scratch paper with all kinds of chicken scratch on it but I just keep coming back to the numbers we're working with being off (I think because of the transmission being included maybe).
You're probably right Casey, but since it is the same to front and rear, using it or not shouldn't make a difference in the final out come of the Over Drive %. And my brain was that way for a couple days. I can't tell you how many times I filled a page, got to the bottom of it, look at it, and it made no sense to me. That's when I decide I was way over thinking the process!
Thanks for taking a look.
Ernie
Old 09-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Time for a little update.
As stated above, I wanted to see if and how I could fit a SSD portal in my Pro. I did the Math, and it was confirmed by Katan at SSD, so the next step is to start making it happen. For now I wanted to narrow the axle back to stock width. (I'm working with SSD to test something for them in a few weeks.)

The brass work to bring it back to stock width. By the way, getting it back to stock width or anywhere in between can be achieved with hubs and wheels. I wanted to ad just a little non rotating weight to the rear.

On to the soldering table.

Link and shock mounts.

Cleaning them up and made ready to paint.

All the parts to make it happen.

I use the piano wire to line everything up and squared before I drill the brass and mount to the housings. I used the same technique to square the Portal housings.

All parts screwed together and ready to bolt in.

Thanks for looking!

Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-22-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

WOW!

Custom weighted SSD Portals... (drool-worthy!)

Excellent work, as usual, very cool to hear of you and SSD exchanging information (and maybe more?)

Only good can come of this!

BTW - I got the clam-style Panhard in the mail, many thanks again, Ernie
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Heck yeah, great update ernie! Those axles look good!

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:32 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
WOW!

Custom weighted SSD Portals... (drool-worthy!)

Excellent work, as usual, very cool to hear of you and SSD exchanging information (and maybe more?)

Only good can come of this!

BTW - I got the clam-style Panhard in the mail, many thanks again, Ernie
Thanks bud! And your welcome, getting ready to do a 2 week road trip and I think I might build some to take along with me.

Quote:
Heck yeah, great update ernie! Those axles look good!

Thanks guys, at least I know someone is seeing my build!

A bit more of a update.

I ordered a dig for my Pro last week, glad I ordered when I did. Also ordered a Vanquish servo arm and servo.

All assembled and the servo mounted on the chassis.

Stance with my new big bore shocks and rear SSD portal axle.

This is at 50% droop.

Dig install, pic from the top. Went in very nice and once installed and with my end points set, operated very very smooth!

Rear SSD from underneath. I have 20% overdrive with this set-up!

A couple more photos of the new shocks. Let me know if you can see something different about the shocks.

Ok, took the pro out today for it's maiden run. WOW WOW this thing climbs like goat. I pull lines on my rocks that I was only able to make with my losi Sporty. I used the dig to help hook a couple ledges and when the rear end set I just crawled right up them. I could also tell that the 20% overdrive made huge difference crawling up and over crowns. Very cool truck and I love the SSD portal axle! "thumbsup "
All for now, thanks for looking. Browneye and Shinshu, see you guys in Southern Calif next week!
Ernie

Last edited by CODYBOY; 09-23-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #33
Gold Star Baby!

Great call on the diamond for the rear portal axle. Love this idea!

Math looks good to me, I’m coming up with 17.9% OD with the 30/8 axle gears.

11.03 front and a 13.42 rear leaves a 2.4 difference. I divided that by the rear axle ratio to determine how much faster your front spins in comparison and landed at 17.9%. 26.1% with a 27/8 up front.

Ernie if you drive through Las Vegas on your way to see the Cali boys, and have time for some wheeling holler at me, would love to hit some rocks with ya.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 09-23-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Another work of art ernie! U never cease to amaze brother. Ive followed every one of your builds since i joined rcc over a yr ago. Alot of talent n inspiration. Keep up tge great work!

U n miss marsha have a save trip!

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Simply incredible!

She's got all the hot features - dig, portals, overdrive...and that sought-after Vanquish transmission!

Too darn cool for words....
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:34 AM   #36
Go Buckeyes!

Very impressive Ernie!

You did an outstanding job on the rear axle! I'd swear that it is a factory made axle!

Glad to see you were one of the lucky ones to pick up the DIG before they vanished! I'm still waiting for the next batch to come back in stock!

Shocks look great, but my old eyes can't find the difference in them!

Glad to hear how well it performs! Looking forward to seeing some pics out on the rocks!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #37
Im Brandon

Nice work on the rear axle. Love seeing the scratch built stuff to make parts work.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Simply amazing!!! That's all I can say!!! Excellent work!! Like to see some video of this machine!! Great job and enjoy your road trip!!!
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Man Ernie, this thing looks awesome! You made that axle look like something from a factory. You're one hell of an artist and a inspiration to all of us! Thank you for sharing your amazing builds and knowledge! Now time to get Marcia on the camera and get some crawl video!!!! keep up the great work! We all enjoy watching your builds come together!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:34 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Great call on the diamond for the rear portal axle. Love this idea!

Math looks good to me, I’m coming up with 17.9% OD with the 30/8 axle gears.

11.03 front and a 13.42 rear leaves a 2.4 difference. I divided that by the rear axle ratio to determine how much faster your front spins in comparison and landed at 17.9%. 26.1% with a 27/8 up front.

Ernie if you drive through Las Vegas on your way to see the Cali boys, and have time for some wheeling holler at me, would love to hit some rocks with ya.
Quote:
Another work of art ernie! U never cease to amaze brother. Ive followed every one of your builds since i joined rcc over a yr ago. Alot of talent n inspiration. Keep up tge great work!

U n miss marsha have a save trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Simply incredible!

She's got all the hot features - dig, portals, overdrive...and that sought-after Vanquish transmission!

Too darn cool for words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Very impressive Ernie!

You did an outstanding job on the rear axle! I'd swear that it is a factory made axle!

Glad to see you were one of the lucky ones to pick up the DIG before they vanished! I'm still waiting for the next batch to come back in stock!

Shocks look great, but my old eyes can't find the difference in them!

Glad to hear how well it performs! Looking forward to seeing some pics out on the rocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Nice work on the rear axle. Love seeing the scratch built stuff to make parts work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepilot View Post
Simply amazing!!! That's all I can say!!! Excellent work!! Like to see some video of this machine!! Great job and enjoy your road trip!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
Man Ernie, this thing looks awesome! You made that axle look like something from a factory. You're one hell of an artist and a inspiration to all of us! Thank you for sharing your amazing builds and knowledge! Now time to get Marcia on the camera and get some crawl video!!!! keep up the great work! We all enjoy watching your builds come together!
Thanks guys, time to let someone else enjoy this truck, I listed it yesterday.
Ernie

Codyboys 4-10 PRO - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Codyboys shop build CODYBOY Scale Accessories 5 06-25-2023 02:33 PM
Codyboys Axles Are On! MPG1959 Vaterra Ascender 2 02-10-2018 08:55 AM
Codyboys IBEX CAMARO, I think!!!!! CODYBOY 2.2 Scale Rigs 51 05-01-2017 02:05 PM
Codyboys micro crawler course. CODYBOY Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 11 08-02-2014 04:10 AM