Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: VS 4-S Build, Volt Up Gear Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 06:59 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: VS 4-S Build, Volt Up Gear Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Do you think I could do better considering this is the underside printed on supports?
Try printing it vertically (with the bumper mount on the build plate).

That is how I did a similar servo mount for my SCXII and the vertical orientation came out the best. Took a little messing with the Prusa manual support generator though since the "supports everywhere" option went way overboard on needed support material.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
That makes more sense. I thought that was the top layer.
Cool, Thanks for the question. I probably wouldn't have looked into it otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Try printing it vertically (with the bumper mount on the build plate).

That is how I did a similar servo mount for my SCXII and the vertical orientation came out the best. Took a little messing with the Prusa manual support generator though since the "supports everywhere" option went way overboard on needed support material.
Thanks, thats a great idea.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #43

The body clip transmission cap is a great idea! You are a clever dude.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Jato!

I just uploaded the Mamba X ESC mount, receiver box and body clip holder to Thingiverse if anyone wants to print these.

I should note that the ESC mount was designed to have the cooling fan removed, I'm going to see if I can modify it to allow the fan to fit too. I dont know if it will fit under the interior though, mine was tight without the fan.

ESC mount
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4294002

Receiver box
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4294031

Body clip holder
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4294077

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-17-2020 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

This thread is an amazing wealth of knowledge! Thank you for the information on so many areas of this platform. Carry on sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks Jato!

I just uploaded the Mamba X ESC mount, receiver box and body clip holder to Thingiverse if anyone wants to print these.

I should note that the ESC mount was designed to have the cooling fan removed, I'm going to see if I can modify it to allow the fan to fit too. I dont know if it will fit under the interior though, mine was tight without the fan.

ESC mount

Receiver box
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4294031

Body clip holder
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4294077
Thanks for uploading those.

There is another Mamba X mount on Thingiverse that allows you to run the fan on the VS4-10 Pro. It situates itself in the same location, forward portion of the electronics tray, but you remove the fan, place part of the mount under it, and re-install the fan.

TBH though, you could probably get away with just the base mount and 2 sided tape. The issue with the Mamba X on mine being that the lack of a large flat surface further forward on the tray doesn't allow it to sit flush, so it can't be put further forward, but putting it further aft causes the wires to rub up against the interior. I think if you were able to make it flush (which both of these do), that'd be sufficient if you didn't mind using tape.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
Thanks for uploading those.

There is another Mamba X mount on Thingiverse that allows you to run the fan on the VS4-10 Pro. It situates itself in the same location, forward portion of the electronics tray, but you remove the fan, place part of the mount under it, and re-install the fan.

TBH though, you could probably get away with just the base mount and 2 sided tape. The issue with the Mamba X on mine being that the lack of a large flat surface further forward on the tray doesn't allow it to sit flush, so it can't be put further forward, but putting it further aft causes the wires to rub up against the interior. I think if you were able to make it flush (which both of these do), that'd be sufficient if you didn't mind using tape.

I just had a look at the other design and that version places the ESC on the passenger side farther back under the seat.

Personally I prefer to mount heavy ESC's as far forward as possible and on the driver side due to torque twist (depending on the direction the Diffs spin). I'm sure the effect is minor but I prefer to work against TT rather that contributing to it.

I made some modifications to the ESC mount allowing for the fan to be used. It still clears the stock interior by 5-6mm though you may need to solder the motor wires to the bullets going to the ESC at and angle as I had issues with the wires pushing against the floor of the interior. Just make sure you print the version that says "with fan".

Here's the ESC mount link again:

I also made an ESC mount for the RX4 which is basically a flat plate with 3 stand offs (which could be removed easily), with this mount things could be dual locked to or double sided taped down.

the RX4 screws to the plate from below

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-18-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I just had a look at the other design and that version places the ESC on the passenger side farther back under the seat.

Personally I prefer to mount heavy ESC's as far forward as possible and on the driver side due to torque twist (depending on the direction the Diffs spin). I'm sure the effect is minor but I prefer to work against TT rather that contributing to it.
Agreed. That's the main reason that I didn't use that mount, I prefer the ESC on the driver side, although it's more about ease of wiring for me than the weight distribution, but that's an added benefit I didn't consider.

Thanks again for sharing the files. I'll for sure print them out once my filament shows up, I like the idea of moving it further forward and getting the wires out of the way, too.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:05 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

This thread is absolutely ri-donk-ulous (something my kids used to say-a lot!)

So much great info & tips. I’ve taken a slight breather last week on my build waiting on a servo horn. Now I’m back at it! I’m sending my oldest son your 3D stuff for him to print (put that industrial design degree to good use?).

Thank you again for your detailed posts!

I am absolutely chomping at the bit to drive mine!

Cheers
Doc
doc.hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
-Snip-

Thanks again for sharing the files. I'll for sure print them out once my filament shows up, I like the idea of moving it further forward and getting the wires out of the way, too.

No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc.hamilton View Post
This thread is absolutely ri-donk-ulous (something my kids used to say-a lot!)

So much great info & tips. I’ve taken a slight breather last week on my build waiting on a servo horn. Now I’m back at it! I’m sending my oldest son your 3D stuff for him to print (put that industrial design degree to good use?).

Thank you again for your detailed posts!

I am absolutely chomping at the bit to drive mine!

Cheers
Doc

Thanks you for the kind words doc.hamilton

I'm not a designer just a tinkerer BTW

Someone just asked for the body post braces I designed and I just posted them up on Thingiverse if anyone else wants to print them:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4528029

VS 4-S Build, Volt Up Gear Down - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In the spirit of "Gear down, Volt up". Inspector86 Traxxas TRX-4 16 06-26-2018 08:06 AM
Volt up and gear down? Hunter711 Chit Chat 32 01-31-2012 08:44 AM
New build - Loose gear questions Slaughter Axial SCX-10 29 05-26-2011 05:05 AM
Volt up, gear down? BritCrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 24 09-13-2008 07:27 PM