Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Jato Repents with a VS4-10 Origin Limited Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 06:23 AM   #161

Default Re: Jato Repents with a VS4-10 Origin Limited Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEDOM83 View Post
Sorry, it's the hehehhe translator, I was referring to OCD, in Spain is TOC hehehhehehe
That makes sense!

I came up with a quick loom to handle the wires coming out of the ESC. This prevents them from hitting the interior.

I know it's not the perfect solution, but it'll do for now.

3D printers FTW!

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #162
RCC Addict

That's perfect. Looks like a factory part.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #163
Go Buckeyes!

Nice loom!

Easy simple design that should work well!

Where would we be without 3D printers!?!?
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
That's perfect. Looks like a factory part.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice loom!

Easy simple design that should work well!

Where would we be without 3D printers!?!?
Thank you! I would have quit making parts. I learned to hate fabrication when I was about 8 years old. A dog ripped the body of my Tamiya Hornet and my dad had me fabricate a hood for it out of sheet metal. I hated every second of it and I still hate fabrication.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #165
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That makes sense!

I came up with a quick loom to handle the wires coming out of the ESC. This prevents them from hitting the interior.

I know it's not the perfect solution, but it'll do for now.

3D printers FTW!

It looks good...but, at the same time, I do see a potential problem. Having the wires not only run right over the ESC's fan, but being that closer to the fan, there's a high probability that the motor C's wires are going to impede airflow, thus keeping the fan from it's full cooling capability. Having custom-built computers for over 25 years, one thing I learned a long, long time ago is to never block any part of a fan's airflow.

It might only increase the ESC's temperature by a few degrees...although, in all honesty, due to the small size of the fan, and the lower airflow it's capable of, I'd estimate an increase of up to 10-15 degrees...but, if you're ESC is already working hard (especially if you've set the BEC to 7 4V, or 8.4V), and already warm, that increase could be the difference between continuing to work, and thermal shutdown.

Honestly, your temps might be nowhere near maxing...but, I'd suggest checking it occasionally, especially during heavy use, just to be on the safe side. I know that, whenever I've been a new off-road racer, I'm constantly checking temps in the beginning...especially if I'm playing around with the motor's timing. What you do is your own choice...I'm just tossing this our as a suggestion.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #166
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Honestly, your temps might be nowhere near maxing...
They won't be, the fan on the Mamba X is pretty unnecessary for a scale truck.

I don't even bother installing the fans anymore and the Mamba X never gets more than slightly warm.

Last edited by svt923; 02-10-2020 at 12:20 PM.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:24 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
It looks good...but, at the same time, I do see a potential problem. Having the wires not only run right over the ESC's fan, but being that closer to the fan, there's a high probability that the motor C's wires are going to impede airflow, thus keeping the fan from it's full cooling capability. Having custom-built computers for over 25 years, one thing I learned a long, long time ago is to never block any part of a fan's airflow.

It might only increase the ESC's temperature by a few degrees...although, in all honesty, due to the small size of the fan, and the lower airflow it's capable of, I'd estimate an increase of up to 10-15 degrees...but, if you're ESC is already working hard (especially if you've set the BEC to 7 4V, or 8.4V), and already warm, that increase could be the difference between continuing to work, and thermal shutdown.

Honestly, your temps might be nowhere near maxing...but, I'd suggest checking it occasionally, especially during heavy use, just to be on the safe side. I know that, whenever I've been a new off-road racer, I'm constantly checking temps in the beginning...especially if I'm playing around with the motor's timing. What you do is your own choice...I'm just tossing this our as a suggestion.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
The fan comes installed and I just never bother to remove it. I don't care if the fan lives or dies because the ESC should never overheat in a scaler.

The wires covering the fan are a non-issue for the above reasons.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:51 AM   #168

Sunday was a big day. First run for this truck! The crazy, not-so-winter weather was at it again. The day started off below 30°F and ended in the high 50's. I went from wearing a beanie, gloves and two layers at 9AM to a long sleeve T-shirt and still being warm on occasion near lunch time. Below freezing to spring-like temps all in the same day. That's why you'll see photos of ice despite the fact that it was in the 50's. Craziness.

Anyway, I ran this truck and OSRC ran his very capable TRX-4 Bronco. I was busy having fun so I didn't take too many photos.

This photo was taken atop one of our test rocks. I love this rock. It goes from a steep climb to an even steeper climb right at the "step" in the rock. Ascents can be tough, but descents can be even worse.

The Bronco make it look easy and the Limited followed. The Bronco was definitely more planted, but the Limited made it up with little fanfare. Not long ago, it was a struggle for most scale trucks to make it up this rock. Now it is almost routine if the truck is set up properly. It's amazing how far scale trucks have come.

The Limited did suffer on the descent. It wanted to roll ass over tea kettle coming down the upper step which I thought was odd. I feel I need to add weight to both the front and rear of this truck. I don't want to fugly up this truck with brass so I'm not sure how to go about doing that other than getting old school and putting weight in the wheels which I'm not keen on doing any longer.

The Bronco on the summit and the Limited on the step.

Here's a view from the top of the test rock looking down. Photos never seem to do the justice to the difficulty of the terrain.

Here's some of that ice I was telling you about.

And some more photos.

I learned a few things on Sunday.

1. I love blue yoga pants. This particular pair was worn so damn well!
2. Some trees have black, hair-like thorns, and they freaking hurt and stick in your skin very well.
3. This truck is great. Looking at the design, you could easily liken it to a metal SCX10 II. It's more than that though and it just flat out works very damn well. I had a ton of fun with this truck. It is also very smooth and quiet which is awesome. I'm very happy with this truck. A job well done, Vanquish!

Minutes into the run I did get a moment where it was louder. A leaf or a stick must have gotten through the "rock guard" on the spur. It worked its way out before I even checked it out though. But I'd say this truck needs a full spur gear cover. I may try to design and 3D print one.

After driving this truck I'm really looking forward to driving a Pro. I kind of regret getting the Ultra instead of a Pro now, but portals have their place too. And I'd be shocked if I don't also get a Pro in the near future.

The scratches on the metal axles, bumpers and sliders definitely hurt. But the truck is so fun and so capable in stock form that you quickly forget about the scratches.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:23 AM   #169
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Below freezing to spring-like temps all in the same day.
You just described winter in Atlanta.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #170
Quarry Creeper

True enough, have stuff blooming all over the yard, seems early

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #171
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I don't want to fugly up this truck with brass so I'm not sure how to go about doing that other than getting old school and putting weight in the wheels which I'm not keen on doing any longer.
Do you have any specific reason why not put weight on the rims like old school mode?

Quote:
The scratches on the metal axles, bumpers and sliders definitely hurt. But the truck is so fun and so capable in stock form that you quickly forget about the scratches.
That encourages using a PRO in black hahahaha

FREEDOM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #172
Go Buckeyes!

I hear ya on the weather! Here in Ohio we can have 4 seasons in one day!

Great pics! She sure does look good out on the rocks!

That is a cool test rock. The third pic really does show how steep and difficult that could be.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the stock tires!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEDOM83 View Post
Do you have any specific reason why not put weight on the rims like old school mode?

That encourages using a PRO in black hahahaha

Just because weight in the wheels hinders wheel speed. It also affects the instantaneous acceleration of the wheels which is nice to have at times.

But black really shows scratches! I can't see myself ever buying black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I hear ya on the weather! Here in Ohio we can have 4 seasons in one day!

Great pics! She sure does look good out on the rocks!

That is a cool test rock. The third pic really does show how steep and difficult that could be.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the stock tires!
Thank you!

The test rock is probably 10 feet high or so from group to tip. It's a lot of fun. When it gets covered in moss and slime from moisture it can be near impossible to get up it.

I forgot to comment on the tires. I even used the hard, stock foams. They really surprised me out on the rocks. The tires seem to be thicker than average at spots so they could use a little more compliance, but the compound worked well. One scenario, in particular, where I was impressed is when we drove through water and then immediately onto a decently steep rock. The tires climbed right up. Definitely a good kit tire for sure.

I was thinking Vanquish made the tire carcass thicker to support the extra weight of the VS4-10, but that could have been done with foams so I'm not sure. It could be that the tire isn't any thicker than the competition and I'm just misremembering how they felt when I assembled them. I'm not giving up my Proline or Pitbull tires anytime soon, but these tires are not something you have to replace before even getting out on the rocks like you have to do with some of the other kits. It would be cool to see what Vanquish could do with a second attempt at a tire design. I'm not holding my breath for that though because tires really aren't in their wheelhouse and that's fine.

I may want to put some stiffer springs in the rear of the truck, but other than that I'm not sure I'll make too many changes. Maybe I'll adjust the preload a bit as well. I currently I don't have the preload set. I forgot to do that so who knows where the shocks ended up! I'm also going to find a new set of tires for this truck. I'm not sure what I want to run since there aren't too many tires between the 4.5" and 4.6" range.

The Tekin T-360 servo was underwhelming on 6V. It locked ran out of power and bound up on more than one occasion.

I also want to lower the gearing even more or possibly change the motor to a lower kv. I was running this truck on a 2S 4200mAh stick-pack shaped LiPo and it was still faster than I need. I felt like I had to be extra cautious on the throttle, even with a gradual throttle curve setup and I rarely went over about 1/3 throttle.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 02-25-2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #174
Gold Star Baby!

She looks good out in the wild! Love the orange. It ties in the sliders to the scheme really well.

What do you think about those bumpers and sliders? I loved the look but found them to get in the way more than I liked.

Agreed that the VXT tires aren’t too bad, they did better than I expected too and I liked their size/profile. I surely wouldn’t mind seeing another attempt at a tire from the VP gang.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:11 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
She looks good out in the wild! Love the orange. It ties in the sliders to the scheme really well.

What do you think about those bumpers and sliders? I loved the look but found them to get in the way more than I liked.

Agreed that the VXT tires aren’t too bad, they did better than I expected too and I liked their size/profile. I surely wouldn’t mind seeing another attempt at a tire from the VP gang.
Thank you!

The aluminum bumpers and sliders look fantastic, but they hinder performance somewhat. Plastic definitely slides better on the rocks. Also, plastic bumpers usually flex a bit to give you more approach and departure clearance. Aluminum bumpers don't do that so they stop you dead.
Old 03-01-2020, 02:46 AM   #176

Quote:
The Tekin T-360 servo was underwhelming on 6V. It locked ran out of power and bound up on more than one occasion.
May I ask what you did about that?
Thinking of getting that same servo for my VS4-10 build as well as for some other trucks..
JoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFreak View Post
May I ask what you did about that?
Thinking of getting that same servo for my VS4-10 build as well as for some other trucks..

Nothing yet. It's powered by the internal BEC of the Mamba X at 6V. I want to install the Castle BEC and run it at 7.4V or 8.4V. If I could do it again I'd probably get the T-440 servo.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:57 PM   #178

Quote:
Nothing yet. It's powered by the internal BEC of the Mamba X at 6V. I want to install the Castle BEC and run it at 7.4V or 8.4V. If I could do it again I'd probably get the T-440 servo.
If you don't mind keeping me/us updated, would be great.
Why not try toturn up the internal BEC first?
The Mamba X is supped to deliver 8A / 8V max, that should be more then sufficient.
JoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFreak View Post
If you don't mind keeping me/us updated, would be great.
Why not try toturn up the internal BEC first?
The Mamba X is supped to deliver 8A / 8V max, that should be more then sufficient.

Because 8V will blow most receivers.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #180
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post

I wouldn’t mind seeing more tires come out in that size as well.
kind325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jatotheripper, limited, origin, vanquish, vs4-10

Jato Repents with a VS4-10 Origin Limited Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-MOW's VS4-10 Origin Limited B-MOW71 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 09-15-2023 06:18 AM
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited Build/Thoughts Issues rohrej Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 131 03-26-2021 08:09 AM
💥💥Coupon Codes Now Available On Vanquish VS4-10 Origin Limited & Limited Black Kits RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-26-2019 11:21 AM
IN STOCK Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin Limited Black Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-27-2018 08:05 PM
PRE ORDER NOW the Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin Limited Black Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 12-17-2018 04:20 PM