Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Grease alternatives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Grease alternatives

This will be my first build since I build a RC10B2 many years ago, so a lot has changed and esp. with the cost of the VS4-10, I wanna hit it right. I've disassembled most of my TRX4, so I guess that may count for something.

I've been unable to find the Vanquish grease anywhere in stock, so I was wondering what alternatives are suggested. I work on bikes, so I have access to some others like Park PolyLube, Phil Wood, Red N Tacky, Slick Honey, and some generic marine grease. My experience in the past being that PolyLube thins too easily and is only good for things that don't move, Phil Wood seems to be a good middle ground for bearings, and Red N Tacky is fairly thick. Slick Honey is the go to for suspension work, not sure how suited it is for other purposes.

So for this build, any suggestions on what to use as an alternative, particularly in the drivetrain?
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Grease alternatives

Definitely not an expert opinion and just returning from a several year hiatus but I still have a jar of Grim Racer speed grease. Not even sure if it's still available but definitely good stuff if you can still get it.
pedlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Btw, agree on the poly lube. You would think that a company of their standard would have better grease. I'm 52 now and don't ride like I should but I still hit some single track around here on a Fisher Sugar 1. Kinda old school, lol.
pedlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #4

Welcome to the site!

I do like Vanquish grease, but it's often difficult to find.

Lots of people use red and tacky, but I don't like it. It's much too tacky for RC's IMO, but, like I said, others disagree and use it in theirs. I prefer marine grease over red and tacky. That's what I use when I'm not using Vanquish.

EDIT: Vanquish grease is currently in stock: https://www.vanquishproducts.com/rc-...ase-rock-lube/

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-03-2020 at 12:39 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:41 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. When I checked earlier, looked like they were out, guess they got some since! Thanks for pointing that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedlhed View Post
Btw, agree on the poly lube. You would think that a company of their standard would have better grease. I'm 52 now and don't ride like I should but I still hit some single track around here on a Fisher Sugar 1. Kinda old school, lol.
They do have a high performance grease that's much tackier and better for bearing use. I only use PolyLube on things that don't move (pressing in bearings, threaded fittings, metal to metal, etc). I did pack my bearings with it once and regretted it the next time I checked them.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:02 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I've always been happy with red and tacky and any scale RC. Use it in 1/5 to 1/10. I can see why it may be too tacky for some but never had issue with that. Makes a nice seal on Vanquish's well machined parts so water finds it harder to get in. My Limiteds axles were bone dry despite running in water all the time.
mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Another vote foe Red n´tacky
Lucas Oil 10330 is good too

Last edited by themountain; 04-07-2020 at 08:09 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Vanquish grease and will probably stick with that, I may try Slick Honey on the shocks right off the bat given the issues reported here with the shocks leaking.

I pulled the covers off my TRX4 portals and diffs that I lubed with Phil Wood. The grease was there, but was more oily than it was sticky. Probably not the best choice for those applications based on what I saw. The Vanquish grease is thinner than the Red N Tacky, but much stickier than the Phil Wood grease is. I'll assemble the VS4-10 with their grease and probably remove the Phil Wood from the TRX4 when I get a chance and re-assemble with the Vanquish grease.

Slick Honey on the o-rings? I don't have experience with that nor do I have experience with the RockShox stuff that turbodan13 is mentioning. I use green slime like most RCers. You can go the expensive route and get it in small tubes from Team Associated or you can get it from the place that most everybody believes is the source - Noleen. It's called SF3.

http://www.noleenj6.com/noleen-greases

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-16-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I use Gmade gear grease and/or Protek premier white grease.
el_Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I may try Slick Honey on the shocks right off the bat given the issues reported here with the shocks leaking.

Don't use Slick Honey on the shocks. Yes, it's what "we" use on suspension products, but in this case, it's too thin and will just ooze out over the first few runs. Since you have access to bicycle lubricants, use RockShox Dynamic Seal Grease. It's what we use in all the suspension assemblies since it will deal with the higher heat loads of the suspension cycling repeatedly through its travel, and won't thin out or break down. It's available via QBP (QBP# LU6562, SRAM# 00.4318.008.002). You can get a 1fl oz jar for $11, and that will last you hundreds of RC services.

Plus, it's good on toast!
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
Don't use Slick Honey on the shocks. Yes, it's what "we" use on suspension products, but in this case, it's too thin and will just ooze out over the first few runs. Since you have access to bicycle lubricants, use RockShox Dynamic Seal Grease. It's what we use in all the suspension assemblies since it will deal with the higher heat loads of the suspension cycling repeatedly through its travel, and won't thin out or break down. It's available via QBP (QBP# LU6562, SRAM# 00.4318.008.002). You can get a 1fl oz jar for $11, and that will last you hundreds of RC services.

Plus, it's good on toast!
I'll try that! Thanks for the recommendation.

Grease alternatives - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Universal axles (Axial)... grease or no grease TacoCrawler Axial SCX-10 15 11-14-2013 12:27 PM
Axle grease, grease gun idea. arctichorse Axial SCX-10 1 11-14-2012 11:52 PM
grease or not to grease that's the question? philgoods9 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 04-28-2010 07:52 PM