Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Topher pieces together a VFD VS4-10 Custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #21
Im Brandon

Default Re: Topher pieces together a VFD VS4-10 Custom

Those additional parts noted as "Install Option 1" work with the machined aluminum servo mount from the original Origin Limited kit. They allow you to retain your aluminum servo mount and still be able to install the VFD trans.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #22
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Those additional parts noted as "Install Option 1" work with the machined aluminum servo mount from the original Origin Limited kit. They allow you to retain your aluminum servo mount and still be able to install the VFD trans.
Ah that makes plenty of sense. Part numbers stayed the same since the plastic replaced the aluminum?

Thanks for clearing that up.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

You'll have to let me know how that MKS servo works out!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:22 PM   #24
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Ah that makes plenty of sense. Part numbers stayed the same since the plastic replaced the aluminum?

Thanks for clearing that up.
We never had a part number for the aluminum braces as it was fix for the Origin Limited that was never to be sold separately.

All the chassis braces are VPS10126. The VFD skid plate and mounts are VPS10125. We put the skid plate and mounts on its own mold so if a customer with the Origin Limited (with machined chassis braces) wanted to upgrade to the VFD everything they needed would be included. If we didnt include those little mounts on the VPS10125 skid plate mold the customer would have to purchase VPS10126 chassis brace set only to cut off those mounts from the molded servo mount if they wanted to retain their aluminum mount.

Its not easy, but we tried to cover all bases. Its even harder to clearly explain all the different scenarios and options to install things. I think the only reason you ran into a bit of confusion is because you're building this from all the individual sets of parts and not just a Pro Kit. So I appreciate the feedback!
Old 01-13-2020, 09:20 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Made a lot of progress this weekend and she’s now rolling under her own power. I’m going to need to crack it open again unfortunately as the ssd overdrive gear and vp housing don’t seem to play well together. It will run but when turning it skips, I had a hard time getting a decent mesh before installing and will likely go back to a normal 30/8 ring and pinion and run the 21% OD alone. Should be plenty!

Anyhow, here are some pics and two items of note that I ran into with the VP OD, VFD kit, and chassis kit together.

First; The OD gears don’t come with instructions, but if you’ve ever been inside a transmission before then it’s fairly straightforward. There is one little piece though that I could see being overlooked so I wanted to touch on that. In the first pic below there is a small black aluminum stand off included in the OD gear set that threads into the new bearing plate. I didn’t take a pic of it before I installed it but this should help point it out.
Thanks for pointing that stuff out. We've got pretty similar pieced-together VS4-10 chassis-based rigs with D44 axles and the VFD trans. I also just ordered the VFD Overdrive Transfer Case gear set and a VP spool and gear set.

I wasn't originally planning to run the 21% OD gears in my VFD. I built my D44's with SSD OD gears in the front, but they were crunchy beyond belief. No amount of shimming would make them spin smooth. Don't really know what is going on there. That's not a criticism of SSD stuff. I have been having problems with lots of other brands of AR44 gears lately.

So I'm really glad to hear your rig is running well with the VP gears. Hopefully the VP stuff works out better for me too.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:39 PM   #26
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
You'll have to let me know how that MKS servo works out!
It’s fast and strong but it is noisy! Might put it on a revolver rig and swap a Holmes servo over here to keep the rig quiet.

Quote:
We never had a part number for the aluminum braces as it was fix for the Origin Limited that was never to be sold separately.

All the chassis braces are VPS10126. The VFD skid plate and mounts are VPS10125. We put the skid plate and mounts on its own mold so if a customer with the Origin Limited (with machined chassis braces) wanted to upgrade to the VFD everything they needed would be included. If we didnt include those little mounts on the VPS10125 skid plate mold the customer would have to purchase VPS10126 chassis brace set only to cut off those mounts from the molded servo mount if they wanted to retain their aluminum mount.

Its not easy, but we tried to cover all bases. Its even harder to clearly explain all the different scenarios and options to install things. I think the only reason you ran into a bit of confusion is because you're building this from all the individual sets of parts and not just a Pro Kit. So I appreciate the feedback!
No problem. Revisiting the instructions made more sense after you explained this. Thanks for chiming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
Thanks for pointing that stuff out. We've got pretty similar pieced-together VS4-10 chassis-based rigs with D44 axles and the VFD trans. I also just ordered the VFD Overdrive Transfer Case gear set and a VP spool and gear set.

I wasn't originally planning to run the 21% OD gears in my VFD. I built my D44's with SSD OD gears in the front, but they were crunchy beyond belief. No amount of shimming would make them spin smooth. Don't really know what is going on there. That's not a criticism of SSD stuff. I have been having problems with lots of other brands of AR44 gears lately.

So I'm really glad to hear your rig is running well with the VP gears. Hopefully the VP stuff works out better for me too.
I ended up taking the SSD gears out, put them in a rig with ssd axle housings and the mesh was perfect. Took the boom racing gears out of that axle and put them into the VP axle and now the mesh is perfect there too.

Just need to get the receiver and BEC mounted and then start body work and then it will be ready for action.

Last edited by Topher Builds; 01-15-2020 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #27
Gold Star Baby!

Waiting for better sunlight to take more pics but here’s a teaser for y’all. Went with the tamiya anodized green on this one, really should have got two cans of the green paint but it didn’t come out bad just a little ghosting on one side
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #28
Im Brandon

Looks amazing. Is that a decal or a badge?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #29

Hopefully the sun is out because I wanna see this!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #30
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Looks amazing. Is that a decal or a badge?
Thanks Brandon! It’s this metal decal from cchand, their blazer selection is nice

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-c...vc0636/p897341

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Hopefully the sun is out because I wanna see this!
Just got done taking pics!

Passenger side is the one that shows some ghosting. I could only find one can in stock of this color and wish I had waited for another but it’s not that bad in person.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #31

I love it! That's bad ass!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:26 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Looks great Topher. Like I said on IG. I've wanted to pick up this body and the hard top for a while now, but I'm now also running into the issue of too many unused bodies! LOL.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Cool color! I've never seen that before. On the passenger side it just looks like some of the paint is faded from the Sun or something

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Bro! I'm really digging this rig!!! That paint on that body is awesome! Keep up the great work!!!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thanks Brandon! It’s this metal decal from cchand, their blazer selection is nice

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rc4wd-c...vc0636/p897341

Just got done taking pics!

Passenger side is the one that shows some ghosting. I could only find one can in stock of this color and wish I had waited for another but it’s not that bad in person.
Quote:
Have to admit, that first photo looks so real. Except for the steering link, it's difficult to tell that's a scale RC.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:02 PM   #36
Gold Star Baby!

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.

We have some 60+ weather coming our way this weekend so a maiden voyage is going down. Excited to see how it does.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #37
Go Buckeyes!

I'm glad the sun came out today! It looks awesome!

I'm really liking the color. Gives it that retro look just like it should look like.

I think the passenger side looks OK. A little "red" rock rash and nobody will ever notice!

Can't wait to see some running footage!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Topher, given the issue you had with the new set of knuckles, would you take the gamble on another new set or would you recommend something else with for VP axle? Thanks.

Last edited by OzarkCrawler; 01-19-2020 at 11:04 AM.
OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 PM   #39
Gold Star Baby!

Couple short updates from this weekend. I tried to get out Saturday but broke some body posts only a few minutes into the trail. Snapped a couple pics with the enduro and it’s new beater body before heading home to fix it up.

Went back out today for maiden voyage number 2 and had a whole lot of fun. This truck with the VFD is very well balanced and I was taken aback at how predictable it was. It took a couple tumbles as I learn its limits, got some scratches, and lost some mirrors. That’s okay though, it was only a matter of time, and in the words of Tame Impala, “he doesn’t like it looking like he looks back”.

Anyway, this truck loves to be sideways and even with the short wheelbase it can still do some climbing. I’m tempted to stretch the wheelbase out a little down the road just to see how it does with a little more reach. Very excited to drive this one some more.

The body posts survived today but I have some aluminum posts on the way and I’m going to try and find someone to print humboldt’s braces for me as well.

Here are a few pics and a couple clips, Instagram embed isn’t on in this forum yet so links...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7hwgJLg...d=7zb91iavifmt

And another one....

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7hutqAA...=1qzoprylsee5h

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I'm glad the sun came out today! It looks awesome!

I'm really liking the color. Gives it that retro look just like it should look like.

I think the passenger side looks OK. A little "red" rock rash and nobody will ever notice!

Can't wait to see some running footage!
Thanks BMow! I was hoping the green would pay homage to the classic lime green while still “looking expensive” since this is a vanquish truck. I’m really happy with the color and may horde some of this color as I find it so I can use it again in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkCrawler View Post
Topher, given the issue you had with the new set of knuckles, would you take the gamble on another new set or would you recommend something else with for VP axle? Thanks.
I’d go for the ssd knuckles again without hesitation. I’ve used them on VP axles before in my original vs4-10 which had D44 axles also and didn’t have any issues. Thinking this was a fluke in tolerances.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2020, 09:38 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Great update Topher, love those stuffed tire shot!
OzarkCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Topher pieces together a VFD VS4-10 Custom - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles boldfin Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 63 09-11-2020 08:53 AM
topher goes Full Sendero Topher Builds Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 79 12-20-2019 11:45 AM
☆ Paint and custom body work showoff thread! Let's see those one off pieces of art. ☆ Hoosierdady Paint and Body 39 08-05-2015 02:43 AM
post all your CUSTOM micro parts and pieces. MCRIPPPer Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 23 02-12-2013 07:45 PM
Polish or Paint your custom pieces? bulletproofcustoms General Crawlers 3 07-24-2004 10:46 PM