Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Successful vfd trans use with trx axles in a vs410 frame

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Successful vfd trans use with trx axles in a vs410 frame

Puddin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #2

Default Re: Successful vfd trans use with trx axles in a vs410 frame

Parts list

Trx vs410 build

Vs410 frame
Vfd trans
Trx4 axles
Junfac driveshafts
Rc4x4 stainless links 12in wb
78mm shocks

Things todo

Rear sway bar
Roc412 motor
Mmx esc
Servo winch
Gmade 80mm shocks
Radio
Rear bumper
Sliders
Interior
Old 02-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

We're there any mods done, especially to the skid...and, if so, what mods were done? Asking because Boldfin (you can read his thread) had several problems bring the same chassis, skid, transmission & axles to work together, without rubbing problems.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Actually I had zero mods to do to the skid, only thing I had to do was move the top 3 link mount on the axle and move the link to the out side with a spacer, other than that nothin crazy, just proper set up is all
Old 02-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
We're there any mods done, especially to the skid...and, if so, what mods were done? Asking because Boldfin (you can read his thread) had several problems bring the same chassis, skid, transmission & axles to work together, without rubbing problems.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Yeah I'd be curious to hear what you did as well. I relayed Boldfins experience to my brother who was asking about doing a similar build so if it is possible I'd be curious to know what might have made it work.

Could part of it be the slightly smaller Junfac driveshafts I wonder?

EDIT: I see you already answered the question before i posted, thanks.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin86 View Post
Actually I had zero mods to do to the skid, only thing I had to do was move the top 3 link mount on the axle and move the link to the out side with a spacer, other than that nothin crazy, just proper set up is all
Could you share some closer-up photos of exactly what you're referring to? I'm really interested in doing a build using the VS4-10 chassis & VFD trans. It's been suggest (by several people) that, since I want to go with portals, that the TRX4 axles would be my best solution. Knowing the troubles Boldfin went through, I've been a bit leery...but, if you can up with a solution not requiring mods, I'm very interested in seeing.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:08 PM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Good looking build!

Nice to see it all came together well!

I too have been thinking about adding the TRX-4 axles under my spare VP chassis with a VFD. I’ll be following along taking notes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #8

I literally needed no mods at all and actually had a axial wild boar drive shaft up there for a minute, not talking trash by any means I just don’t think mr bowfin had his Panhard set up correctly, like had stated the only thing I needed to do was move the upper link over a smidge other than that no hassle
Old 02-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I literally needed no mods at all and actually had a axial wild boar drive shaft up there for a minute, not talking trash by any means I just don’t think mr bowfin had his Panhard set up correctly, like had stated the only thing I needed to do was move the upper link over a smidge other than that no hassle
Seeing the line of the driveshaft vs the line of the skid (particularly the did's "nose", where the transmission attached), they look almost perfectly parallel. In short, I like...I REALLY like.

Regarding the upper link, looks like you used a ball end? Since you had to use a longer screw (looks like it might be too long, though you could probably attach a locknut to 'cover' the end of the screw), is it still 'solid', or is there any (no matter how minor) movement? Obviously, the further out the link is from the link mount, the greater the possibility of the screw not being "solidly mounted", leading to possible movement. I'd also worry that, over time, it could lead to "loosening up"...tho, then again, considering the axle is machined, instead of plastic (it is machined, correct?), it might already be "solid", and might remain that way.

Please, let me know how "solid" (or not "solid") the front link 'modified' mount is...if it's completely "solid", you might have solved my chassis "problem" for a bike I'm considering.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #10

It is solid, this was an old pic I had it like that for more of a Mach up I actually went to a longer screw yet and went threw both sides as well as put a ball end in the original place for strength, and absolutely no movement
Old 02-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It is solid, this was an old pic I had it like that for more of a Mach up I actually went to a longer screw yet and went threw both sides as well as put a ball end in the original place for strength, and absolutely no movement
Can you post, or attach to a message to me, a photo of the actual "modified front upper link mount" configuration. I'm quite familiar with off-road racing vehicles, but still somewhat of a newb where crawler are concerned...plus, my brain is a bit "dead" right now, due to a lot of work (usually, I'm great at visualizing things...just not right now).

Old 02-09-2020, 11:27 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am glad to see someone figured out how to make this work. I did use two different panhard rods - both of which were specifically-designed for running TRX-4 axles under a VS4-10 chassis. Personally, I think the fact that I was using extended shock towers may have been the cause of my clearance issues. Seems like everyone else is sticking with the standard-height shock towers. I just wanted to keep the ride height low, and still be able to use 90mm shocks. I guess that was my downfall. That may have been why Vanquish decided to use 80mm shocks on the VS4-10 Ultra. I also was using Incision driveshafts, which I really like, and wasn't about to replace. The Junfac driveshafts definitely provide much more clearance for the VFD trans skid. Nice solution. Hope it crawls well for you.

Last edited by boldfin; 02-09-2020 at 11:35 PM.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #13

Nice! Good to see a workaround to get this combo to play nicely.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:49 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

love it
treadway47025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I guess the TRX4 axles are back on the table for this setup!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Successful vfd trans use with trx axles in a vs410 frame - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boldfin's VS4-10 with VFD Trans and TRX-4 Axles boldfin Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 63 09-11-2020 08:53 AM