RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/)
-   -   What keeps you sprung? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/616649-what-keeps-you-sprung.html)

raul shabinguez 03-27-2020 01:38 PM

What keeps you sprung?

What shocks are you using with your VS4-10?
From what I've been reading (here and bookface), the stock shocks aint great.

Or has anyone got the stockers to perform? Green slime is a must I'm sure.

I have a new to me Origin sitting on my porch! :)
thanks

mud bogger 03-27-2020 01:40 PM

Re: What keeps you sprung?

My friend is using trx4 shocks, they do very well

GA Dawg 03-27-2020 02:23 PM

I haven't had any problem at all with the stock shocks.

raul shabinguez 03-27-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Dawg (Post 6008003)
I haven't had any problem at all with the stock shocks.

That's good to hear. Did you use a heavier than usual oil or do anything different?

GA Dawg 03-27-2020 02:55 PM

I think I have 40 weight oil in mine.

HumboldtEF 03-27-2020 04:59 PM

I tried to like the stock shocks but after they leaked twice before they were even used I gave up on them I also didnt feel like they provided very good damping and the spring rates were meh, they could use more spring rates for fine tuning.

I swapped them out for Enduro shocks which are very nice, have great spring rate options and provide excellent damping. I did 3D print my own shock towers that work with these, the stock towers probably wont fit larger diameter shocks due to the way the top mounts.

With all that said everyone has different standards for what they consider good or acceptable, I'm a bit of a shock snob.

B-MOW71 03-27-2020 05:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm using the Traxxas GTS shocks off of the TRX-4 on my Origin and I am using the Dravtech shocks on my PRO. Either shock will work on both rigs.

On my Origin, I had to Dremel out some material in the plastic shock hoop so the shock spring adjuster would clear.

Origin:
Attachment 388055

PRO:
Attachment 388056

89redranger 04-03-2020 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 6008043)
I'm using the Traxxas GTS shocks off of the TRX-4 on my Origin and I am using the Dravtech shocks on my PRO. Either shock will work on both rigs.

On my Origin, I had to Dremel out some material in the plastic shock hoop so the shock spring adjuster would clear.

Origin:

Attachment 388055

PRO:

Attachment 388056

Are those the 3.5 or 3.75" DravTechs? REALLY considering ordering a set for my rig. And they look like they clear the shock towers better than most.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

B-MOW71 04-03-2020 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89redranger (Post 6010409)
Are those the 3.5 or 3.75" DravTechs? REALLY considering ordering a set for my rig. And they look like they clear the shock towers better than most.

They are the 3.5”. Yes, they clear the shock towers.

I had to mount them upside-down because the bottom shock link mount was not tall enough to mount to the axle mount. I hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

89redranger 04-05-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-MOW71 (Post 6010442)
They are the 3.5”. Yes, they clear the shock towers.

I had to mount them upside-down because the bottom shock link mount was not tall enough to mount to the axle mount. I hope that makes sense!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Ended up ordering a set the other night. Ordered silver with blue caps and spring cups, a couple spare sets of shafts, and a pile of springs. Ordered a few different lengths of rod ends from Amain with some rebuild kits just in case. One way or another, I'll make them fit. [emoji23]

alexleblanc 04-06-2020 01:15 PM

I’m using the stock shocks on my Pro and some TRX takeoffs on my custom build with trx4 axles and both work fine, the stock shocks are nice enough imo.

raul shabinguez 04-06-2020 01:22 PM

Thanks for the responses.
My Origin was already built when I received it. The shocks cycle smoothly, but there is very little dampening. I may try heavier oil, or just steal my trx4 shocks.

89redranger 04-06-2020 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexleblanc (Post 6011145)
I’m using the stock shocks on my Pro and some TRX takeoffs on my custom build with trx4 axles and both work fine, the stock shocks are nice enough imo.

I've rebuilt the stock Incision shocks 3 times in the time that I've owned my rig and they just keep dumping oil. And that's 3000wt diff oil. And the rig has never left my living room carpet...maybe 15 minutes total run time while programming my ESC and setting end points and trims. And I've tried building them in every configuration I can think of...under vacuum, under pressure, half full just to verify they weren't overfilled. They just keep leaking puddles on my desk. Even bought rebuild kits and swapped the o-rings to make sure they weren't the issue.

These shocks seem to be very hit or miss...some people get a set they never have an issue with, others have nothing but issues.

Shinchu 04-06-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89redranger (Post 6011164)
I've rebuilt the stock Incision shocks 3 times in the time that I've owned my rig and they just keep dumping oil. And that's 3000wt diff oil. And the rig has never left my living room carpet...maybe 15 minutes total run time while programming my ESC and setting end points and trims. And I've tried building them in every configuration I can think of...under vacuum, under pressure, half full just to verify they weren't overfilled. They just keep leaking puddles on my desk. Even bought rebuild kits and swapped the o-rings to make sure they weren't the issue.

These shocks seem to be very hit or miss...some people get a set they never have an issue with, others have nothing but issues.

between what you and humboldtEF have experienced, i am not very inclined to dump that much money into a truck with horrible shocks.
i love the motor/trans setup on the ultra, but... knowing i need to blow another $60+ on shocks before i run it?
casey (HumboldtEF) is on to something with the enduro shocks though (my RTR's are still silky smooth).
and dravtechs look cool upside down! maybe even cooler!

89redranger 04-06-2020 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinchu (Post 6011191)
between what you and humboldtEF have experienced, i am not very inclined to dump that much money into a truck with horrible shocks.

i love the motor/trans setup on the ultra, but... knowing i need to blow another $60+ on shocks before i run it?

casey (HumboldtEF) is on to something with the enduro shocks though (my RTR's are still silky smooth).

and dravtechs look cool upside down! maybe even cooler!

Don't let the shock issue push you away. Even if they sold the kit without shocks, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. It really is THAT good.

alexleblanc 04-07-2020 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89redranger (Post 6011164)

Mine aren’t leaking yet and I’ve put three packs through it up to date, as I type this I’m sure they’re starting to leak..... if they give me trouble I’ll just put some TRX shocks on it too.

coffeeaddict17 04-07-2020 03:47 AM

My ultra has a few hours of run time on it at this point, and so far I haven't noticed much issue out of the shocks. The biggest thing is that I noticed I'd like to try heavier oil in the rear, but overall the truck is a great package.