Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: New rig new servo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New rig new servo?

Hey all just got my pro built, extremely impressed and glad I pulled the trigger. I’m running a Holmes hobbies trail master brushless system and I’m happy with that however I’m running a Holmes hv500v2 and I have read that people have had issues with them, I haven’t yet although at 8.4v it doesn’t seem to be putting out all of the torque. I’m using a castle creations BEC and I have it all set up correctly but I’ll set my end points with the front end in the air and then set the tires on my desk and compare and I would say I’m only getting 3/4 of the steering travel I have set and I would assume 500 oz/in is enough to rip those VXT tires back and forth. So I have heard that these generation servos have issues with gears and now I’m experiencing this. So before I go buy another servo is there anything that I’m missing here set up wise, and does anyone have any say on their Servo gear durability? I’d love hear that this is operator error because I love all the other stuff Holmes puts out.
And if that’s just how this Servo preforms what’s the next step up? I’m fine with spending good money on a Servo if it performs. What’s the thoughts on the futaba bls 177sv gears strength and turning power? What about the takin t440? Or any other ones you guys have tried. Thanks guys
Evan Harich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New rig new servo?

The V2 Holmes servos had issues where the center gear pin would bend and ruin the gears. That was mostly limited to the servos from early in the V2 production and the pin bending mostly occurred in big tire, rock racing scenarios. The later V2 servos had a much lower failure rate, I'm still running a HV500 V2 in my Pro without issue. Depending on the age and usage on your servo, it is possible for a slightly bent center pin to wear out the mounting hole in the top of the case and cause gear mesh issues.

Also, what battery are you testing with? If you are on 2S, the BEC will output the battery voltage on anything less than a fully charged battery. The servo may be getting significantly less than 8.4V if you test with a partially charged pack.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply, I bought the Holmes servo in 2017 I believe, so it may be the later side of the run. And yeah I understand how testing on a lower voltage will have that effect. So I only run a gens ace 11.1 45c Lipo fully charged when testing. My next spot to look thru will be my wiring, right now I have a couple servo extensions to make the bec sit in the fuel cell and run the power lead all the way to the esc up front so maby it’s too much of a run and might have some voltage drop. But I’m willing to sacrifice some torque as long as I know those gears will stay alive. I’ll get some pics up soon. Also has anyone ran the stock vxt tires with a decent set of foams or is it worth it?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've got a 500V3 in my Ultra. I also run the same servo in my Capra with a Reef's 555 in my Enduro. I will admit that I had some binding where the servo arm moves over to where the frame rail is next to the servo.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thank you all for the reply’s. I think I may have gotten the decent side of the run for that servo gear train wise so I’m gona investigate my wiring next. So my next question is what is the formula to get the stock shocks to stop leaking. I have the upgraded shock shafts and green slime and I know how to set up a shock really well yet no matter what I do or how perfect they feel when I build them I go one run and they leak a quarter of the fluid. I have tried many different methods to building them and I understand Hydraulics and shock body vs shaft volume and I have been able to build these shocks to get full cycle with no bind and no air yet they leak. I would say the shocks are the only thing about this car that I’m slightly less than stoked about.

New rig new servo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What servo for my rig? Smokin' Joe Electronics 5 09-07-2016 07:55 AM
What servo do you use on your XR10 comp rig? chicklet Axial XR10 22 11-14-2012 11:55 AM
Servo shopping for my 2.2 comp rig jeremyfowler33 Electronics 11 02-21-2012 07:53 PM