Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: My Ultra Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2020, 07:23 AM   #61
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: My Ultra Build

Last night I installed the front body mounts and the sliders. Shapeways emailed me this morning and they are reprinting my entire order and sending it out on Thursday, thanks folks, it's appriciated! The sliders look pretty clean and the quality is excellent, they are stout and have the grooves for the body to lock in to.

I also mocked up the interior, I thought I was going to have to do some trimming to get the interior to clear the rear shock mounts. Nope! Fits like a glove, so I can pull the interior out and prep it for paint.

Still fooling around with rear bumpers, I have 3 sitting on the bench and none of them really make me happy. I think I can make the metal SSD bumper work if I drill some new holes in the mount to bring it closer in to the body.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by hezzdown; 08-25-2020 at 07:27 AM.
hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2020, 09:35 AM   #62
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezzdown View Post
Just a heads up on those screws, they give you only 1 extra screw for the entire kit! Don't drop one lol! More than once was I crawling around on the floor like an idiot.

The grey wheels are staying, I ordered up some CI foams and I will pull the Milestar tires off the grey wheels and put the BFG's on them. Then the black wheels and Milestars will go on the scx10.3.

Thanks for the heads up! I seem to always drop screws when I'm working. I have a tan/brown Berber carpet in my hobby room, so when the screws hit the floor they become invisible instantly! I'll have to be extra careful with the tiny screws!

I really like them new sliders. They look great on there!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

So what is everyone up to tonight? Here we are up to body lines! Yup! Getting those details in to give her that aggressive look! Tedious but worthy!

Old 08-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #64
Pebble Pounder

Inner fenders installed and they fit great with the JL body. Got the BFG's swapped over to the grey wheels with CI lil Nova foams. Started laying out the electronics that I do have to get an attack plan going.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #65
Pebble Pounder

New fender set arrived with actual light lenses and a LED kit. Also picked up a set for my 10.3

Rear body mounts arrived from shapeways, got those installed. I should have my motor and ESC next week sometime.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

How do you like the LED fenders? I’ve been eyeing them for a while...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:02 PM   #67
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
How do you like the LED fenders? I’ve been eyeing them for a while...

Lou
I like them. Quality is good, fit is the same as stock. No issues. More little tiny screws, but overall assembly isn't bad. They look great and best of all no more stickers for lights.

Old 09-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #68
Pebble Pounder

Motor and ESC showed up, Mamba X and Slate 3800kv. Got them installed and the esc programed with my starting settings. I'm so close, the rig would be up and running but I don't have a male deans connector! GAAARRR! :-) So that has been ordered.

Winch controller and lighting controller installed. Wiring is for the most part all cleaned up. I'll finish tidying it up once the rig is up and running and everything is tuned.

The LED's for the lights in the front fenders weren't up to the power output of the dragon light controller. Luckily the Mytrickrc lighting kit came with two LED's for dash lights that I didn't use. I was able to get those to work with the fender lights. I threw the body on my 10.3 and tested all the lighting and it looks killer.

Old 09-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #69
Rock Crawler

sweet action! Looking forward to seeing the finished rig.

Lou
Old 09-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #70
Pebble Pounder

Wrapped most everything up and got her out for a little test session. Rig is surprisingly capable. Still have some tweaks to make and of course more pictures to come. I was trying to purposely get the thing stuck in the small area I was testing in but it never happened.

Finally found a rear bumper I liked and of course had to come in the slow boat.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:12 AM   #71
Pebble Pounder

I've had a chance to give the rig a pretty good shake down now. I'm very impressed overall. I spent some time doing tuning and testing yesterday and got everything pretty dialed in. I may play with the drag brake a little bit more.

This thing puts a hurt to my SCX 10.3 in every way. Don't get me wrong, I really, really like the 10.3 and seeing the performance of the JLUltra just makes me want to try to get the 10.3 close to the same level. I've already started making some changes to the 10.3 that have really helped. I ordered some CI dual stage foams for the 10.3 that should help a ton. I have two sets of foams, one set being way to stiff, and the other being way to soft.

So the 10.3 has a Mamba X with a brushless holmes motor and the drag brake is superb on that rig. The JLUltra has a Mamba X with a Castle Slate brushless motor. I'm still playing around with it but the drag brake isn't quite as good. I'll see if I can get it there. The slow speed control of the Slate is freaking awesome, love it! The holmes motor is really good too, just seems like the Slate has a bit of an edge. I need to get them both on the Castle Link again and compare my settings. I think it may be just a matter of tuning each to get it how I expect/want it to perform. There is also a noteable weight difference between the two rigs. The JLUltra is about 8lbs and the 10.3 is up in the 10's.

The 80mm shocks on the JLUltra are a non issue. They appear to be working great and there is plenty of travel, especially with the JLU body. I don't see any reason to mess with shock length at this time.

If I have time I am going to try to spend some more time tuning this weekend.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:59 AM   #72
Pebble Pounder

Such a killer build. I'm definitely jealous.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
Such a killer build. I'm definitely jealous.
Thanks! Appriciate the words. It's been a fun build so far.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #74
Pebble Pounder

Pictures pre rock rash :-)

Old 09-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #75
Go Buckeyes!

Damn good looking JLU! Nice pics!

Them Method 310’s look soooo good on there!

I see what you were talking about with tiny screws for the hinges. Got mine installed. Patience is key! But once the pain of installing them is done, they look awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:47 PM   #76
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Damn good looking JLU! Nice pics!

Them Method 310’s look soooo good on there!

I see what you were talking about with tiny screws for the hinges. Got mine installed. Patience is key! But once the pain of installing them is done, they look awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Watching your build of the scx10.3 RTR buddy! Looking excellent and I hate those screws lol!! Glad to see you found my build on facebook!

-Kurt

Old 01-01-2021, 08:14 AM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Been driving the truck and loving it. Also been doing some tinkering. I managed to grab an unbuilt VFD transmission from the pro which had the machined gears, aluminum motor plate, aluminum stand offs, ect. Built it and installed it. Also went to a 12t pinion while I was in there.

The more I drove the truck the more I was dislike the 80mm shocks. I wanted more down travel so I went with 90mm incisions. Since they come assembled and I knew I would take them apart to give them the green slime treatment I grabbed a set of the black shock shafts to put in. Also went with the aluminum shock towers as well.

Dicided to go with a different beadlock ring and put some diamond plate trail armor on the body along with the newly released SSD rear bumper.

Now to get her back out for some more testing and do any fine tuning if needed. I'll probably need to tone down the drag brake with the lower gearing.

Old 01-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #78
Rock Crawler

Looking sharp!

Lou
Old 01-01-2021, 09:05 AM   #79
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Looking sharp!

Lou
Thanks Lou!

Old 01-01-2021, 11:17 AM   #80
Pebble Pounder

what is the front bumper your using
Neilo68 is offline   Reply With Quote

My Ultra Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
JackedDriver's R1 Build (non-specific purpose / just wanted a good build) JackedDriver G-Made Crawlers 12 01-12-2016 07:59 PM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
~53 Willys 2010 Comp Rig Build~ RC4WD MOA Worminator Build~ 53 willys General Crawlers 108 11-28-2011 12:42 AM
RcBros LCC Build, Hi-Res pics & More Build!! RcBro Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 06-03-2009 07:26 PM
OMG!!! A super LVL 99 Ulta GEEK!! K_B Chit Chat 3 08-24-2007 09:00 AM