Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Vs4-10.3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Vs4-10.3

Well, I've been threatening to do this for weeks and finally decided to chassis swap my SCX10.3 to a VS4-10. The biggest reason for this was to run the VFD as I cant stand the play in the stock 10.3 tranny.

All in all its not been too bad but link geometry has been a little challenging. I ended up using the Gspeed multi position panhard mount. I was hoping to use the all of 10.3 links but the fronts were too long. I got my chassis of FB marketplace and it included the Incision links. I was able to make them work for now but I'll be ordering some custom links in the next day or so. The shock towers had to be trimmed a little to clear the preload rings, but also not really a big deal and expected. The 10.3 kit shocks have actually treated me well but I'll replace them with Dravtechs in the next couple weeks.

The other main problem is the WB drive shafts. They are too wide and hit the side of the tranny at full compression. I'm hoping to replace this with an MIP CVD, that should fix my clearance issues.

For now, I'm using a Trail Honcho cab I had laying around. I'm hoping to get a 3D printer soon and then make the Knight Customs bits for the JLU body.

Now if VP would release a little more info on thier AR45 axles, that would be cool...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2020, 06:29 AM   #2

Default Re: Vs4-10.3

Awesome! I've been waiting for someone to try this!

I've been hoping that the front offset on the AR45p was close enough to the vanquish offsets to not have clearance issues, or do you think the offset is enough and it's purely down to using the WB shafts?
Munchagepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'm hoping its just the width of the WB drive shaft. I got the custom the links ordered yesterday. I really think a Junfac or MIP DS will clear just fine. I'll keep posting as I update.

Lou
Old 08-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

Hey nice work Lou! This looks really cool. Excited to see more of it.

The stock honcho topper makes it look like a bit of a sleeper for now.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Build looks great!

I've been thinking about building one of these. I really like how the new JLU body looks on the VP chassis. I thought about just buying the 10.3 kit and swapping all parts to one of my spare VS4-10 chassis kits with the VFD trans.

Glad to see you figured out the panhard bar mount. Hope to see more of your build.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Oh man, Thanks bro! I'll for sure keep posting pics as this goes on.

Lou
Old 09-03-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Minor forward progress...

Dravtechs are set up with 35wt all around. I'm using Mini-T rear springs, med up front and firm in the rear. This should support the chassis weight well.

The aluminum stand offs for the VFD finally came back in stock so they've been added. They actually go a long way to stiffen the whole assembly.

The last thing was upping the pinion to a 14t. The AR45 portals add that final stage of gear reduction and I wanted a little more wheel speed than what the 13t gives.

I also ordered a Junfac D/S for the front, I am praying that clears the spur gear cover and allows for full travel. The custom links I ordered are inbound. If I'm lucky, they'll be here Saturday and I can get this on the rocks sunday...

Lou
Old 09-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Looking good! Look forward to see how it does out on the rocks.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I got my links from Intheworks RC today! My measurements were spot on and the new links are awesome. I went with the hybrid link set that are SS for the lower four and Aluminum for the upper links. I also had him make a 3mm SS trackbar. The everything seems to line up well and that are no crazy vibes in the drive line as I ran the motor on the workbench. The front axle can get max compression one side at a time but the Junfac driveshaft still hits the spur gear cover when I try to compress the whole axle... It's not perfect but I can live with it for now.

I'm happy with the electronics install for now. I did cut the battery plate so I could locate the RX box on the side tray.

At a minimum, I will take it out to my rock garden and see how she do. I may have to go with a lighter oil in the front shocks but we'll see

Lou
Old 09-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Didn't out yesterday like I wanted but I did tidy some things up on the workbench. I'm kind of diggin the honcho body for now but we'll see...

Lou
Old 09-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sweet rig.

Is that your take on bent links?
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:21 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The links are from inthworks RC. Stainless for the lower 4 and aluminum upper links, plenty strong and super light without the cost of Titanium.

Lou
Old 09-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Hey just a recommendation for shock mounting, I just finished building a vs4-Capra and I installed some IERC shock towers. Complete game changer IMO. The mounting for the body posts is the only thing that’s a little weird but it’s not bad. That and I added some yeah racing 75mm links for braces like shown in their pictures.

https://iercscaler.com/shop/ols/prod...0-shock-towers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Ooohhh... daddy like...

Lou
Old 09-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

OMG!! I finally got this out on the rocks today. I am thoroughly impressed. It pulled lines that my Gspeed can't which tells me two things... My Gspeed needs some work, and this little buggy is bad ass, lol. I do plan to go with a slightly lighter shock oil but overall I'm stoked at how she did. I'll try to get a vid in the next couple days.

Lou
Old 09-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Well... I got myself a Qidi X-pro 3D printer and it works pretty damn good. I bought the Knight Customs files and knocked out a set of the sliders in PLA as its what I have on hand. The body mounts I purchased from shapeways before I got my printer. I plan to order some black Nylon next week and reprint the sliders in a higher resolution and replace the red PLA bits. Slow progress but coming along nicely.

Lou
Old 09-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Alright kids, here she is. Just like a real Jeep, I don't know that it will ever be "done", but I'm pretty happy where it is now.

Sliders printed in black PLA. I think they came out pretty good.

Inner fenders printed in Taulman Nylon 230... Not crazy about these but that get the job done, especially once the body is on.

I decided to loose the winch till I find a new front bumper I like. For now, Ive gone back to the Yeah Racing piece but I trimmed 3/8" off the back so I can tuck it in closer to the body.

I haven't had it out on the rocks yet with the JLU body. I'm sure it'll be more top heavy that the Honcho half cab but I'm a Jeep fanboy, lol. Might loose the interior but who knows.

Lou
Old 11-05-2020, 08:23 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I haven't been able to get out for a while but had the chance today before lunch. Nothing major to report except I love this little buggy more and more every time I drive it. I've really cleaned up the wiring and I think weight distro is about as good as can be with what I have it in right now.

I've been running the C1 KM3's most of the summer. I like them a lot but I think it can be better. I had some Injora swampers laying around so I swapped them in to see how it shakes out. The Pro-lines never really seated well on the RC4WD stamped steelies. The swampers fit waaayyy better. I reused the stock pro-line foams but cut a mild star pattern in each to soften them a tad.
Tire Dia went from 4.19 to 4.35, it's not much but I bet it makes a difference. I really like how they look too.

I love, love, love this rig. I wait to see if I can keep making it better.

Lou

Last edited by TK421; 11-05-2020 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

I love this thing more after every session. I'm still trying to get the most of this rig so I decided to loose the interior panel to save weight and lower the CG a little more. I also relocated the DG-1 to the right side chassis as well as move the ESC up to the front next to steering. I really need to find a smaller RX box...

Found a new spot 15 mins from the house. It's in a city park I've scouted before but never saw this till the leaves fell down. Polar opposite of my usual rock bed area. There area lot of neat hill climbs, felt very scale and challenging.

Lou
Old 11-11-2020, 04:18 PM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Looking great Lou! Glad you’re enjoying it so much. Always a little bit of extra happiness in builds like these when they do well.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote

Vs4-10.3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indys VS4-10 indybama Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 40 03-31-2020 04:50 PM
VS4-10 Ultra Topher Builds General Crawlers 109 01-25-2020 07:56 AM