RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/)
-   -   Portal or straight axle? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanquish-products-vs4-10-origin/620918-portal-straight-axle.html)

Cyclist 09-11-2020 12:56 PM

Portal or straight axle?

Thinking (dreaming?) about what my next build might end up being. I'm liking what I see of the VS4-10, I just can't decide on the portal axle or not...though I'm leaning towards portal. The Ultra looks damn good though lol.
I currently have a modified TRX4 Sport and it handles the terrain my buddies and I drive really well. East coast jagged rocky rooty trail, 'green' rock that seems to sweat in the southern humidity. We crawl as well trail, but don't have the grippy western rock slabs.
I know there is a center of gravity difference between the two, but is it that noticeable for non competition use? Wondering if the straight axle would get hung up on the jagged rocks that the portals just barely clear? My buddies all run portals as well so nothing to really compare too. Granted, we all new to the crawling thing earlier this year. Getting parts for bashers has been challenging during these covid times lol.
Thanks for your input.

Lashlee 09-14-2020 09:16 PM

Re: Portal or straight axle?

Granted I don't have a 4-10 Pro yet, I do have a modified Enduro and a 4-10 Ultra. The Ultra will handle most all obstacles that I throw at it here in Knoxville, so much so that I want to sell that Enduro and buy a Pro. I know it doesn't help you question, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

FREEDOM83 09-14-2020 11:44 PM

It's a problem to decide, I was just as doubtful, I took a PRO, I'm in love with the car, so much that I want an ULTRA, so it doesn't matter which one you buy, you're going to want the other one too..."thumbsup"

Cyclist 09-15-2020 07:48 AM

@lashlee thanks and good to know. I'm down in the Chattanooga area so we have to contend with the same types of rock / trails.

@freedom83 So you're saying I have to save up for both lol. Good to know :)

RCBrutus 09-15-2020 04:13 PM

I have an Ultra as well as an Element Sendero. I love both trucks, for different reasons. My Sendero is my OG truck and is trusty and predictable. My Ultra is a beast and does things my other trucks just cannot.

I think the portals on the Ultra allows me to be a little more daring in my lines and ends up giving me a little more forgiveness as you have a little extra ground clearance with the portals.

I agree with Freedom, after building and driving the Ultra, I found myself looking for spare change in the couch to get a Pro!

No matter what you choose, it will be fun. Been into crawling for about a year and a half now and continue to love every minute of it.

PERCY 09-15-2020 11:11 PM

Seems alot of us are asking the same question to portal or not.

Anyone know when the Pro will restock @Vanquish though?

Topher Builds 09-16-2020 12:49 AM

IMO if you really want portals build it from scratch with the new AR45P housings. You have options with that one as far as adding weight on the axle, unlike the original VP portal, and a few different gearing options available as well.