Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: New Shocks for the Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #1

Default New Shocks for the Pro

First Vanquish post but I've been meaning to post for some time now. I've built both an Origin and a Pro but the Origin has been assigned shelf-duty for the most part. I want to have fun with the Pro though. I'm pretty much a crawler noob but love building and, so far, these have been the best and most rewarding kits I have ever built. Except for the shocks...

7 out of 8 incision shocks I've installed with both kits have leaked. Picked up enough rebuild kits to do all 8 but I wanted to try something different with the Pro so I bought a set of Dravtech 92mm shocks. I'm going to try some old-school dual stage pistons I have left over from my EMaxx days. Those are the green pistons on the left.

The greens are the lightest I have and they're considered medium-heavy so I'm going to start out with 30 wt fluid and go from there. I'll probably do one with the piston provided with the kit and compare. Not sure if anyone has tried this (dual stage pistons) yet but am definitely open to suggestions.

IrnGynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New Shocks for the Pro

Dravtechs are amazing! I’m using 32.5wt with the stock delrin pistons. Mini-t REAR springs, medium up front and firm in the back.

I can’t speak on the emax pistons but I can say this... the dravtech pistons are machined so well, you can really get a very accurate feel for your shock oil and tune your shocks to your personal taste better. I was able to feel the difference from 35wt to 32.5wt... sounds nuts but try it for your self. I may yet go down to 30wt...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I thought I saw that these need some mods to make fit the VS4-10, I forget the details but I think the top mounts needed some extra clearance. They do make offset caps.

These shocks are great, they're going on my next build once I get the rest of the parts in.

Oh and I agree with you on the Incision shocks, they should be good on paper but man do they leak and feel bad.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 09-22-2020 at 07:40 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Mine fit in the factory shock mounts without mods. No pre-load ring to clearance...

Lou
Old 09-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

I had to mount my upside down. They spring cups wouldn't clear at the axle mount. It may be because I am mounting to the link mounts.

I guess I'll have to take another look at it and see if I can flip them over.

Name:  IMG_0682.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  182.5 KB
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies!

I ordered the 1/4" spacers with the shocks. Anyone using them?

And the pistons that come with the kit are quality. I have a bag of Traxxas pistons that came with my Emaxx big bores for comparison. The Traxxas ones are full of mold markings and these Dravtech ones look pristine.

I'm having to do some sanding with the RPM dual stage pistons but that's normal. They come a hair too large. Using a Dremel and 1500 grit.

edit: I'm leaning towards the RPM dual stage pistons. My totally unscientific finger feel test says a tad smoother with a slightly stiffer and slower up-stroke and quicker downstroke.

Last edited by IrnGynt; 09-23-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:02 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I used 2mm nylon spacers under the pistons. It doesn't limit the travel but it keeps the piston in the oil bath all the time. The CG on the VS4 chassis is super low, even with portal axles. I didn't find I needed to lower the shocks with the internal spacer.

Lou
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #8

Assembled and ready for install.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:03 PM   #9

Got the fronts on. The medium springs aren't going to cut it.

I'm guessing these springs are the equivalent of mini-t fronts so I just ordered 2 sets of rears.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #10

Got the longer springs and tried out the mediums on the front and they had a bit too much droop. Then I tried some brass spring cups I had which added a bit of pre-load but slightly more travel and I think I found the sweet spot. The heavies on the rear were too stiff so I used the same setup as the front.

To preserve travel, I didn't snug the rod ends so my ride height is a bit taller. Will test it out and see how it handles.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

What spring cups are those?

Lou
Old 09-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
What spring cups are those?

Lou
Beef Tubes. I got them a few weeks ago when they were on sale.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

New Shocks for the Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD pro scale or Pro Line Pro Spec shocks? Mr. Crawley EC Axial SCX10 II 6 06-18-2019 11:04 PM
In Stock Now!! NEW Pro-Line Racing Pro-Spec Scaler Shocks RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-08-2018 12:08 PM
Open for PRE-ORDER - NEW Pro-Line Racing Pro-Spec Scaler Shocks! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 04-23-2018 11:48 AM