Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: My VS4-10 Pro Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My VS4-10 Pro Thread

I was so impressed with my Ultra that a few months ago I decided I wanted to pick up a Pro as well. Over the next few months I stock piled a some electronics and upgrades, based on my experience with my Ultra and also all the helpful information on this forum.

There are a good amount of build threads on the Pro so I don't intend to do a full blown build thread here. Many thanks to everyone who has posted their learnings, tips and tricks for this rig. This is such a helpful community and it has been great to learn from everyone on here

Instead, I will just point out my experiences, what changes I made to my kit and anything else along the way that may be interesting or fun.

I originally intended to build this kit over the holidays, but my excitement got the best of me It jumped from my wishlist to my shopping cart about a week ago and arrived just before Thanksgiving.

I will be adding new posts as my build progresses, so please feel free to pull up a chair and follow along!
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: My VS4-10 Pro Thread

Have to love that feeling of a new kit arriving on your door step!

As you can see, I choose to go with the black axles for my Pro. My Ultra has the silver axles so I wanted to switch things up a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Build for the axles went smooth, for the most part. I did have to drill out one of the pin holes in the front axle to get the pin to fit. Not a big deal and was a simple fix.

One upgrade I used was stainless steel hardware. I think I saw this on B-Mow’s thread and liked the look

Here is the rear axle before I buttoned it up.

Old 11-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here is a look at the trans with the stainless steel hardware.

I also used a Molotow chrome pen to highlight some of the features.

My Pro will be powered by a 35T Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Pro.

I also went with a 13T Incision pinion as well.

Nice part of this trans is it comes with all of the beefier parts that you have to purchase separately as upgrades in the Ultra.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats! I’ll be following along!

Love the look of the black axles! I kinda wish I would have gone with the black on my PRO since I went with the clear on my Origin.

Trans looks good and it’s nice that it comes with all the premium parts in the kit. And the stainless steel screws makes it look that much better! The only upgrade I did to my trans was add the 21% overdrive gear set.

Can’t wait to see more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Congrats! I’ll be following along!

Love the look of the black axles! I kinda wish I would have gone with the black on my PRO since I went with the clear on my Origin.

Trans looks good and it’s nice that it comes with all the premium parts in the kit. And the stainless steel screws makes it look that much better! The only upgrade I did to my trans was add the 21% overdrive gear set.

Can’t wait to see more!

Thanks, and welcome aboard!

I used the Team KNK stainless hardware kit and got shorted about 10 pieces of the M3x8 screws. Ended up buying a bulk box of M3 screws on Amazon to make up the difference, so I now have a lifetime supply!

I also added the 21% overdrive....forgot to mention that above. I have it in my Ultra and feel it is a worthy upgrade.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:54 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Links.

Probably my least favorite part of the build, but these are actually not too bad. Of all the links I have built over the years these are by far the easiest to assemble. Used a little black grease on the threads and my trusty shock pliers and had them assembled in about 15 minutes. Bonus that I had no cuts or raw skin on any parts of my hands as well.

These are beefy and have some weight to them as well.

Had time to attach the links to the chassis tonight, so for now we have ourselves an RC squid.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:26 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Awesome! I’ll definitely be following, I love the vanquish kits, just not the price lmao.

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
What is that tool underneath the chassis?
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:10 AM   #10
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Thanks, and welcome aboard!

I used the Team KNK stainless hardware kit and got shorted about 10 pieces of the M3x8 screws. Ended up buying a bulk box of M3 screws on Amazon to make up the difference, so I now have a lifetime supply!

I also added the 21% overdrive....forgot to mention that above. I have it in my Ultra and feel it is a worthy upgrade.
That's too bad about the missing screws. I've bought many kits from KNK and have never had that problem. In fact, they usually add one or two extra screws to each individual bag.

I've bought bulk screws from McMaster-Carr to refill some of my most used sized stainless steel screws. The usually come in 50-100 packs. I too have lifetime supplies of some sizes!

Good to hear about the 21% overdrive! Agree! It is a worthy upgrade!
Old 12-01-2020, 07:01 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
What is that tool underneath the chassis?

That would be a squid jig.

A few years ago we had a run of Humboldt squids so I went out to try to catch a few. Came back empty handed but it was a pretty unique experience cause you fish late at night and very deep in the ocean.

Old 12-01-2020, 08:41 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

When I built my Ultra I ordered the KNK screw set, until I realized there are three different ones! One for each version of the 4-10. I got the one for the Origin first, then bought the one for the Ultra after the fact.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
When I built my Ultra I ordered the KNK screw set, until I realized there are three different ones! One for each version of the 4-10. I got the one for the Origin first, then bought the one for the Ultra after the fact.
Good find! I didn't even think to look at KNK's website, just figured there was only one version of the hardware sets.

So far the 3X8s are the only ones that I was short of, so hopefully that holds true for the remainder of the build.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Before my build I decided to replace the Incision shocks with something less prone to leaking. I like the looks of the Incision shocks but the leaking just drives me nuts. I may spend some time trying to patch them up once my build is done.

I went with a set of Traxxas GTS shocks based on some recommendations in the threads here. Filled them with 40WT oil in both the front and back. Using the orange spring in the front and the white on the rears for a starting point. Figure I will do some tuning once I get the truck fully built up.

Tore the shocks down last night and applied some green slime to the seals. The shocks visually look built well but I did this cause it is standard on all my shock builds. Habits

Had to swap out the Traxxas ball joints with the ones that came in the kit. The lowers came out with little resistance. The upper were a major PITA to get out. A little WD-40 and some elbow grease finally got them out but I snapped an MIP hex in the process.

Mounted the front shocks to the axle last night and will finish the rears and mount both sets to the chassis in the next day or so.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 AM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

I think you'll be happy with the GTS shocks. I have them on my Origin and they are awesome! Super smooth and look good too!
Old 12-02-2020, 11:33 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Got the axles mounted to the chassis tonight.

GTS shocks do seem pretty smooth but I think they will need some tuning once I get the build complete. Rear end seems stiff but I don’t have the battery in yet.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:01 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

I love these constructions, they bring me very fond memories. I'm going to see how it progresses, cheer up!
FREEDOM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEDOM83 View Post
I love these constructions, they bring me very fond memories. I'm going to see how it progresses, cheer up!

While there is no bad part of this hobby, I feel like the best part is the build.

Old 12-03-2020, 12:21 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Bumpers and sliders are mounted up as well.

Close to a complete roller at this point.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That would be a squid jig.

A few years ago we had a run of Humboldt squids so I went out to try to catch a few. Came back empty handed but it was a pretty unique experience cause you fish late at night and very deep in the ocean.

My cousin is a marine biologist who studies the Humboldt squid. He had me take him out a bunch of times on my boat to catch them when they showed up here in SoCal several years ago. He was working with the Long Beach Aquarium at the time, and his goal was to ultimately display live squid in a tank - but they really don't do well in captivity. The longest he could get them to live is a couple of days, and that was in a huge 500+ gallon holding tank out back behind the aquarium proper. I also did one dive with him down in Loreto to obseve the Humboldts. We had to don chain mail suits because they are so aggressive they can take chunks out of ya with their beaks. Nasty creatures, them. Don't miss them a bit. But would make some awesome swordfish bait.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote

My VS4-10 Pro Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VS4-10 Modular System Official Thread - Info and FAQ's Brandon Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 67 02-03-2023 07:31 AM
Vanquish VS4-10 Pro vs SSD RC Trail King Pro Panther6834 General Scale Talk 23 11-30-2019 10:51 PM
On the VS4-10 Pro Zealot RC Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 13 11-24-2019 10:17 AM
VS4-10 pro J55TTC Videos! 0 08-22-2019 09:29 AM