Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Ultra pushing through corners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ultra pushing through corners

After finally getting my ultra put together and wired I took it out for the first time and noticed on tough climbs it wasn’t pulling up the hill like I’d like, so I got the overdrive kit for it and installed that, the next time out I noticed that it’s still trying to push through corners and just isn’t pulling its self up like I’d like. What is the next best option to increase the amount of overdrive for my ultra? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ultra pushing through corners

So you're just after more overdrive? Overdrive will make the front end push and hurt side hilling a bit. I assume you're just after better performance?

Are you still using the stock tires? Aftermarket tires will be better. Are you using a big battery or a small one? A smaller lighter battery will help performance.

If you're only after more overdrive did you install the overdrive tranny gears or portal gears? For more overdrive grab the gears you didnt buy last time. Theres also overdrive and underdrive options for the pinion, swapping portal gears and tranny gears will have little effect on torque twist where as a pinion swap will effect it.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-18-2021 at 12:26 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You could also throw underdrive ring and pinion in the rear axle, VP #08331
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Maybe change foams? Are you using stock tires/foams?
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the tips everyone, the gears I put in are the transmission ones. The overdrive set didn’t seem to help my situation much so I ordered the underdriven ring and pinion set to try out. I have stock foams in the RC4WD mtr’s. I have always used overdrive to help the front end grab stuff and have a better turning radius, the transmission gears alone seemed to almost make the issue situation worse. I’m going performance based on this truck, understandably this is a scale truck but I know it’s got more in it than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:53 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

FWIW, on my Ultra I run the optional OD gear set in the VFD trans as well as the OD ring and pinion in the front axle. I had calculated the total OD but I can't remember how much it is. Turning and climbing performance is great.

That said, a few other things come into play. I'm 'cheating' the steering angle a bit as I don't run the screws that limit the steering. So I do have a little more steering angle than stock. My weight split has about 56% on the front tires. And I run a tire foam setup in my 4.19" tires that is a little on the firm side to keep the sidewalls from rolling under when turning.

If you run a large battery in the 'stock' location, I bet your weight split isn't biased to the front much, if any at all. That's going to have a huge effect IMHO.
garyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Ultra pushing through corners - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mt4 -extra steering pushing button setecastronomy Electronics 2 09-13-2019 07:15 AM
Pushing the limits of volting up and gearing down for a Crawler Lance Carbuncle Electronics 15 03-30-2018 03:02 PM
Pushing the Shafty joywrex Videos! 0 04-22-2013 03:00 PM
HELP!!...pushing/understeer crud Newbie General 2 08-05-2008 01:05 PM
Pushing a heavy TXT TLTCrawlin Electronics 4 04-15-2007 02:02 AM