Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin

Notices

Thread: Fricker08 builds a Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Fricker08 builds a Pro

I’ve never done a “live” build before so I figured I’d give it a shot.
I’m going to update this as I go and hopefully I can stick to it.

I’ve been wanting a vs4-10 pro for some time. Was hoping it would be my first vanquish axle rig but as y’all know it will be my 3rd.
There wasn’t any stock when I was really looking and was approached by a few people with kits some new, some used, some half built but I decided to hold off for Amain to get them back. Well as “luck” would have it… I say luck because I’ve been told if I didn’t have bad luck I wouldn’t have any… one of the partial built ones with some high end electronics came up for a price I couldn’t pass on.

Vs4-10 pro in clear included castle mamba x and 1900kv slate motor, tekin t-360 servo, powershift light kit, spektrum receiver, vanquish bronze 101 v2’s with like new hyrax tires. Body was painted, a little goofy, no worries that’s going on a rig I plan on selling.

Since it was partially built, talking with twade he suggested grabbing a fast Eddie’s bearing kit to have a reason to go through the truck and do an upgrade at the same time. So here we are, tonight I’ll be starting the bearing install and swapping the hardware over to stainless.

Before we get started.. remember that luck thing I was talking about? Well for starters the shocks were so full of oil, they wouldn’t compress halfway. Upon removal of the shocks, I found no pivot balls in the top caps and the shock towers pinched down.
Also now that I’m getting started, I discovered the drivetrain is locked up, yes as in nothing will spin.. so here we go! I’ll try to stick to this til the end. Hope you guys enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Fricker08 builds a Pro

Got the transmission out, found the pinion/spur mesh was so tight it was locking everything up. Feel a bit of relief now, on to tearing down the transmission.

Old 09-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Transmission rebuilt, with new Eddie’s sealed bearings. Assembled with all stainless hardware. Got all the hardware swapped out on the chassis, with my “luck” the last screw into the skid was stripped. I was able to put a longer screw in and have it tighten up. Calling it quits for the night, I’ll be tackling the axles tomorrow.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Nice progress man. Look forward to seeing this come together

twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Great build , love that chassis ... we want to see more jejeje
FREEDOM83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
Go Buckeyes!

Nice! Lucky for you it's new and in great shape and can be fixed!

Looks like a great buy with some nice add-ons included!

Subscribed and following along with the build/rebuild!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Slow is the new Fast

Nice score Fricker. Based on the two assembly issues you encountered, I gather it came from a novice builder. Look forward to seeing it come together
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Hey thanks guys! I can’t wait to get this thing rolling. Going to be a week or so til I can get the body and some odds n ends. Also not totally sure I want to run the mamba and 1900kv. I’ve got a Holmes shv800 going in here so I could run a micro x, I have in the past in my 6x6 that’s pushing 7.5lbs so I know it can hang. Also wanting to run a puller pro over the slate, nothing against the slate, I’ve had great luck with them. Just want something in the 2200kv range.
Thanks for tuning in, I’ll have more to post tonight

*yes smog, I agree. I can only assume that’s why he lost courage on the build and decided to part ways.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:52 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Man fricker, u did get lucky. That rig is super clean. Good to hear it wasnt anything major lockin it up. Fast eddie bearings are my go to for any build. They seem to hold up to some abuse n theyre not all that expensive.

Keepin an eye on this one, cant wait to see how it comes out
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:18 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Hey thanks Indy, yea man I’ve been using Eddie’s bearings since my 1/5th scale racing days 12 years ago. Definitely hard to beat.
Well I already screwed up keeping this thing updated… rear axle has new bearings installed. About to tackle the front. Stay tuned

Got the front axle rebuilt, going to call it for the night. I need to pull the motor out of my F9 Capra for this and the motor out of the 6x6 for the Capra lol
Nothing else too exciting I found, except one of the front bearing carriers being on backwards. The quality of these things is just top notch, can’t believe it took me this long to build one.

Last edited by Fricker08; 09-27-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:48 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Well here it sits for now, puller pro 2200kv castle mamba x sitting in a sweet mount twade made up. Helped clean up all the wiring, might need to lay the motor wires down but we will see how the body fits when I get one.
Was able to power everything up, I need to hook the laptop up and reverse motor rotation, and I noticed the 20mm vp servo horn does not clear the front chassis brace/bumper mount with the shv800. Not sure If I’m missing something, but I’ll cross that bridge tomorrow.

Old 09-29-2021, 03:50 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Hey fricker, lookin good brother. How bad is the horn hittin the chassis? Is there room to put the servo in from the bottom? Thatd drop it down a bit n maybe clear everything. But then again it may cause more issue with the link geometry. May be worth lookin into though
Old 09-29-2021, 06:20 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Yeah that’s odd about the interference. No chance of mounting from below, you’d never get the panhard bolted back up that way…

Looks super sick otherwise man. Just think how scratched up it’s going to be after the first run
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:22 AM   #14
RCC Addict

It’s not hitting by much, I’ll probably just have to get the dremel out… cringe…
Idk if the servo depth just isn’t there I didn’t have a chance to measure it but can tonight.
Thanks guys…
Yea twade.. for that reason I’m kind of glad I got clear axles haha! I’m more worried about scratching my Capra at this point

Last edited by Fricker08; 09-29-2021 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-29-2021, 11:49 AM   #15

Maybe you can switch to a different servo horn one with a little more offset.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:54 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Maybe you can switch to a different servo horn one with a little more offset.

Yea man that’s my plan, I’ve got a couple different ones laying around. Just unfortunate. Worst case I’ve got some high end non direct power servos laying around

Old 09-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #17
RCC Addict

If u tryd to take that lil bit of a corner off, would u b gettin into the threads? Or maybe just a touch of the chassis rail? Doesnt look like itd take much.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
If u tryd to take that lil bit of a corner off, would u b gettin into the threads? Or maybe just a touch of the chassis rail? Doesnt look like itd take much.

It’s hard to say, I think that servo mount is actually keeping from sitting all the way down on the servo even. I think some sort of off set servo horn should do it. Like the stock 10.3 one, but with as much power as the shv800 puts out, and this thing potentially running 4s I’d really like a nice clamping one.

Old 09-29-2021, 09:10 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I have the same servo on my ultra build and didn't realize there was a problem until I read your thread. Since I have the same problem, I'm interested in seeing what you end up doing. I think an offset horn might be best, but trying to find one that is as strong as the VP one is difficult. I did find this clamping horn that looks like it might be strong, has an offset, is 20mm, and from a company that is known, so I may end up trying it unless you find a brilliant solution first.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734BWQRX

Last edited by Up'n'Over; 09-29-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Up'n'Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:22 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Hey up n over, I did find a solution that I’m hoping will be a good replacement. The axial 20mm clamping horn did the trick.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/axial-a...qetayq7m2xactz

Fricker08 builds a Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last pieces to complete Origin and Pro builds dna930 Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 1 07-09-2020 09:33 AM
Tekin Builds: VS4-10 PRO Black Edition Ty@Tekin 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 09-06-2019 09:56 AM
RTR & kit why no pro builds? Kaptastic Axial Wraith 8 03-16-2016 07:48 AM
Pigblanket builds a BWD lo pro pigblanket Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 19 06-19-2012 02:32 PM
where are the Chaotic Pro mini builds? bikerj08 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 12-05-2011 08:41 PM